Author Topic: SanTe's 36th Chamber  (Read 15205 times)

Offline SanTe

• Awards
Re: SanTe's 36th Chamber
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 10:09:42 pm »
Back at it today on repair work...

Spent some time in the game room today tackling repairs with a friend of mine.  We got through about half of my "to do" list:

* My Tutankham has been down for a while now with graphics glitches and no sound.  Suspected the original Stern 1200 linear power supply had gone bad, which is not at all unusual for the Stern 1200s as they were a crap design much like the linear power supplies in Taito games of the same era.  Ordered a new Suzo Happ switching power supply with Konami/Stern adapter from Arcade Shop and we installed it today, only to see absolutely no change whatsoever.  So the problem is definitely on the board set.  Posted a "Want to Buy" on the KLOV forums and already have a lead on another board set.  Hoping it tests 100% working and I can get it.  Really want to get this game up and running again.

Acquired another Tutankham board set via KLOV and installed it today.  It is now back up and working 100%.  Will try to get my original Tutankham board set repaired to keep as a backup.

Things I wanted to do but we didn't get to today...

* I wanted to pull the essentially brand new Betson Imperial monitor out of Kicker and swap it into my Qix 412-in-1, and put Qix's original G07 with some Qix burn into Kicker in preparation for selling Kicker, but pulling the monitor out of Kicker proved to be a bigger ordeal than we anticipated (it's in a converted Scramble cabinet), so we tabled that for now.  The Electrohome G07 monitor doesn't do so hot with JAMMA boards, so with it hooked up to a 60-in-1 or 412-in-1 (or any newer board, really) you will see the curl on the left side of the screen that the G07 is infamous for, sometimes even with the curl mod implemented.  The G07 seems to work beautifully with golden era games but anything newer it doesn't really like.  We'll get these monitors swapped next time, and then I can sell Kicker to make room for my new Stern Rescue.

Tried this monitor swap today.  The G07 that came out of Qix couldn't be mounted in Kicker since the G07 frame's bolt holes don't line up, so we installed a spare K4600 I had on hand.  The newer Betson Imperial from Kicker wouldn't fit into Qix since its horizontal mount frame sticks out too far in the back and you can't close the back door.  We're going to transplant the Betson's tube and chassis into a vertical mount frame so it can be installed in Qix later.

Pulled the Circus Charlie board set out of Kicker and reinstalled my Kicker board set, only to find it wouldn't boot at all.  I had a second Kicker board that worked but had sprite issues.  Swapped two ROMs from the dead board to the backup board to fix the sprite issue and that fixed the backup board.  Backup board installed.  Kicker is now ready to be sold.  Will try to get the original Kicker board fixed so it can be sold as well.  Will probably keep the Circus Charlie board for now, but will likely sell it on KLOV when I find someone doing a Circus Charlie restore who needs a board set.

* Rescue needs its marquee light fixed.  Probably a bad FS-2 starter or bulb, or both.

Turns out the fluorescent bulb was missing entirely.  Installed an 18" 15-watt bulb I had on the shelf and it fired right up.  Installed new locks and set the game up for free play, and Rescue is now ready to rock.

Moved Centipede and Tutankham back into the game room.  Moved Kicker and Qix out into the bullpen (hallway).

Still need to rebuild the K4600 monitor in Alpine Ski.  Also need to rebuild the Sanyo 20EZ I recently pulled from Donkey Kong so I can swap it into Mario Bros.  Also on the "to do" list is the installation of the VectorLabs Star Wars / Empire Strikes Back multi kit into my Empire Strikes Back upright.  Also need to install new locks in Black Widow and do some minor cabinet repair on it.  That's pretty much it; the rest is minor stuff or mostly cosmetic, like removing the very noisy back door fan from Congo Bongo and installing repro side art on Donkey KongBagman could use a control panel overhaul; it needs a new repro overlay and a proper 3.5" Wico 4-way leaf joystick.
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 07:38:12 pm »
Played two games of Pole Position today and got a new personal best on the 2nd one. Looking at the combined recorded scores on Twin Galaxies and Aurcade it would put me 12th place all-time, just behind Steve Wagner and just ahead of John McAllister and Matt Hall. That's pretty good company.  I'm assuming of course these are their best scores; they may not be.

I wasn't able to play the last two weekends since I was out of town on vacation, but I've now gotten a 65k+ game in each of my last three practice sessions.  Hope I can make it to BOTA 4 at the end of April and repeat that.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 09:45:37 pm »
Awesome score.  65,850 is still my pb I think.  Even though it's only a few hundred points, I feel like I'd have to play totally differently to get to 66k.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 11:42:29 pm »
Awesome score.  65,850 is still my pb I think.  Even though it's only a few hundred points, I feel like I'd have to play totally differently to get to 66k.

Yep, I've heard you say that before, and I had the exact same feeling right after my 65,610 game today.

I probably would have matched your score today if I hadn't badly botched the first turn on the race and skidded my tires and wound up on the left shoulder.  I know I lost at least a second there.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 11:44:41 pm by SanTe »

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 10:22:47 pm »
Pretty sweet scores you are putting up on the Pole Position Chris. I hope you can make it for BOTA, we need all the help we can get this year!

Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 09:39:01 pm »
Not totally.  I made one change and got this last weekend:

Wasn't able to match it this weekend but did get all three of these yesterday:

Also, I think I've figured out how to trigger the phantom 10 points.  It isn't foolproof but I can usually get it now.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 04:25:16 am »
Sweet!  The magic 66k.  Well done sir!
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener