Author Topic: Third price elevator stage?  (Read 7434 times)

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Swedish DK series champ :-)
    • Awards
Third price elevator stage?
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:17:42 am »
In a perfect world just under the ladder...jump, jump, fetch, jump, jump, up the ladder...

Any "easy" way for this? What should I watch for and when?

Edit: Tried a few savestates and it doesn't seem to be that difficult. Just time the jumps and you're fine?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:29:13 am by dimmu--borgir »
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

hchien

Re: Third price elevator stage?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 12:56:27 pm »
Not difficult until L4 when the spacing between the springs gets tight.  The thing to watch out for is the 2nd jump coming back.  You want to go on a short spring or have a long 2nd spring (either would suffice).  The 2nd spring is hard to react to, so you may have to rely on the first spring.

In theory getting that 3rd prize could net you close to 800 points.  In practice, you usually end up with a net 200-300 point gain.  Not worth it IMO unless you're going for scores > 1.17M and your springs are already super optimized.

DISCLAIMER: Maybe someone who actually does this in serious games could chime in.

lakeman421

Re: Third price elevator stage?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 02:26:49 pm »
I grab the third prize a majority of the time.  The key to doing it effectively is grabbing the prize while leeching springs on the way up or down.  I try to leach a spring on the first jump up, which requires a long or medium springs.  Sometimes that requires leaching short springs until you get that long or medium spring.  Then you have to leach the spring going up to the prize if you can help it and same with on the way down which require both to be long or medium springs.  Sometimes you're fighting the fireball on this which can cost you leaching a spring or two which is 100 or 200 points.  After grabbing the prize i wait for a short spring to go back down which i can sometimes leach but that can be risky.  If I get some long springs i leach those until i get the short spring i can go on.  Sometimes you have the fireball to leach as well.  When it comes to this board you're fighting the timer which is 1 spring for 100 points, which is why leaching is necessary.  Each time you miss leaching to grab the prize or go back down you lose 100 out of the 800 you just earned.  Typically the last jump down you won't be able to leach which costs 100 points, and most of the time you will miss at least another spring or two so I say overall you can gain 500 points each time if you are effective.  It just depends on the spring setups that are given to you.  You can also gain some points if you have the fireball frozen where you can leach it as well.  Ive had the fireball stuck for the majority of a board which resulted in well over 8000 points.  Its worth it to me in the long run, I stopped doing during my second place game and kind of regret it, because it could have made the difference.