Author Topic: Billy Mitchell's Direct Feed Recordings are MAME Generated  (Read 336860 times)

WCopeland

Re: Billy Mitchell's Direct Feed Recordings are MAME Generated
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2018, 07:51:26 am »
We've known for 8 years that Robert and Billy staged the board swap with the same DKJr board. Nothing new.

Offline guwu

• Awards
« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2018, 08:04:02 am »
That dialogue is performed even worse than telenovela actors could have done...
DK (MAME): 270,400
DK (MAME) Start: 102,800
DK (MAME) 1-1: 9,600
Member for 6 Years

Raven

« Reply #227 on: February 20, 2018, 08:10:40 am »
We've known for 8 years that Robert and Billy staged the board swap with the same DKJr board. Nothing new.

Who exactly is we? Keep in mind that the Billy Mitchell saga may be nothing new to you, but many people, myself included, have only recently become aware of it. My findings may seem redundant, but they are coming from someone who is not part of the "community", thus further reducing the chances of certain evidence being dismissed as mere conjecture or speculation. Come to think of it, I have not played Donkey Kong in more than 35 years, and I have zero interest in breaking records, but when it comes to deception... I tend to be rather good at exposing the truth.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2018, 08:36:24 am »
Raven, yes, knowing that board swap video was the same board has been known for a while, however, I did find your enhanced video interesting and useful. Even though the audio sync thing ended up being nothing, with just a little more clarity sometimes you can notice something that has been overlooked for a while, or a different set of eyes can see something that was overlooked.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2018, 10:09:49 am »

Who exactly is we? Keep in mind that the Billy Mitchell saga may be nothing new to you, but many people, myself included, have only recently become aware of it. My findings may seem redundant, but they are coming from someone who is not part of the "community", thus further reducing the chances of certain evidence being dismissed as mere conjecture or speculation. Come to think of it, I have not played Donkey Kong in more than 35 years, and I have zero interest in breaking records, but when it comes to deception... I tend to be rather good at exposing the truth.

Appreciate the effort. I'm still confused about why all this was played out but thanks for doing the extra work on the video. It certainly shows now that there was no DK board there (Which is what im having an issue with currently why?)

DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Raven

« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2018, 06:39:05 pm »
Raven, yes, knowing that board swap video was the same board has been known for a while, however, I did find your enhanced video interesting and useful. Even though the audio sync thing ended up being nothing, with just a little more clarity sometimes you can notice something that has been overlooked for a while, or a different set of eyes can see something that was overlooked.

Indeed, looking at something from a new perspective can often open the door to information that was there all along, but simply overlooked. In this case, every time I look, I find something new. It's unlike anything I have ever seen before.

Appreciate the effort. I'm still confused about why all this was played out but thanks for doing the extra work on the video. It certainly shows now that there was no DK board there (Which is what im having an issue with currently why?)

Ask yourself, if it were you, what would you do? More importantly, why would you do it? Put yourself in their shoes, which in this case, is anything but easy due to the bizarre circumstances.

It all goes back to motive. You know a big event is coming up and your ego won't allow you to accept the possibility of defeat, but you're out of practice. Seriously, who has time to play video games all day? This is your one shot at being the big star at an upcoming event. Morality aside, what could you do to achieve your goal?

Offline colecomeister

• Awards
« Reply #231 on: February 20, 2018, 07:24:55 pm »

Yes, I have no doubt this is old hat for the DK Forum crew, but there is value in having new "non-aligned" members come into this discussion, devote time to analyzing the evidence, and confirming the consensus, particularly as this discussion is reaching a wider lay audience than at any time the Robert Childs videos were first published. It's also valuable since Billy underlined in a recent interview that he used his specially "Nintendo-certified" PCB for the Boomer visit specifically to avoid past TG controversies around Double Donkey Kong boards, etc, and that he even sent it back to the same Nintendo engineer to "re-certify" it after Boomers to confirm it was unaltered. Reconfirming that this very special PCB was, in fact, not used provides added context for the MAME evidence - that DK was played in MAME off-site, and that the swap video was crafted to promote the illusion of live arcade play and camouflage the MAME origins.

There's no harm in underlining you can't play DK on MAME with a DK Junior PCB. And for those users on Reddit and elsewhere that were having honest difficulty in zeroing in on the fact that the DK Junior PCB was used the entire time, Raven's video offers another opportunity and vantage point on that fact.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:17:00 pm by colecomeister »
Member for 6 Years

Raven

« Reply #232 on: February 20, 2018, 07:46:27 pm »
And for those users on Reddit and elsewhere that were having honest difficulty in zeroing in on the fact that the DK Junior PCB was used the entire time, Raven's video offers another opportunity and vantage point on that fact.

Some people over at Twin Galaxies (and elsewhere) seem to be confused about the actual visual differences between the Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior boards shown in the board swap video. To clarify, here are the specifics.

1 - (DK) White color.
1 - (JR) Yellow color.

2 - (DK) White color.
2 - (JR) Yellow color.

3 - (DK) Regular chip (Black).
3 - (JR) Axial Capacitor (Blue).

4 - (DK) Two ROM chips.
4 - (JR) One ROM chip and one regular chip.

5 - (DK) Four ROM chips.
5 - (JR) Three ROM chips and one empty socket.

Another key difference, one which is more difficult to see, is that the Donkey Kong board has an analog audio adjustment pot in section 1, while the Donkey Kong Junior board does not.

Given the rampant confusion and misinformation surrounding this... scandal, I can't help but wonder if it might be a good idea to put together something to clearly illustrate the basic "facts". I considered making a video, but every time I turn around, a new piece of information surfaces.

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2018, 12:18:08 am »
Quote from: colecomeister
Yes, I have no doubt this is old hat for the DK Forum crew, but there is value in having new "non-aligned" members come into this discussion, devote time to analyzing the evidence, and confirming the consensus, particularly as this discussion is reaching a wider lay audience than at any time the Robert Childs videos were first published. ...

There's no harm in underlining you can't play DK on MAME with a DK Junior PCB. And for those users on Reddit and elsewhere that were having honest difficulty in zeroing in on the fact that the DK Junior PCB was used the entire time, Raven's video offers another opportunity and vantage point on that fact.

Very well put, and point taken. Apologies for any grumpiness from the old-timers :)

This is all good supporting evidence, and hats off to Raven and others for investigating this themselves and not relying on other people's say-so.

I can't help thinking, though, that pretty much all the evidence necessary to remove the scores was presented in the very first post on this thread. I don't think there is a single serious world-class DK player who has any doubts remaining.

Regarding whether TG will also remove Billy's scores remains to be seen however, and that's their business.

Remember though that their final decision will be made by one or two people at the top, regardless of all the clueless to-ing and fro-ing, diversions and general nonsense in the dispute thread. I'm pretty confident those at the top will have already seen everything they need to, and it's just a matter of time before that hammer falls.

I suppose in a way you have to admire the brass balls of Billy and Robert Childs in trying to eke out a last dollar or two from this whole sorry saga:

It might be worth going to this if you're in Florida this weekend, because something tells me it may be the last chance to see the great man play in public.

Tick, tock.
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Raven

« Reply #234 on: February 21, 2018, 06:45:59 am »
This is all good supporting evidence, and hats off to Raven and others for investigating this themselves and not relying on other people's say-so.

As mentioned previously, I may not be much of a gamer, but I despise liars (long story) and have developed keen instincts for rooting out deception. A very long time ago, I learned not to take people at their word, and always expect to see proof of any claims someone might make.

Curiously, most of the focus appears to be on MAME, when in fact there is much more evidence to consider. For example, the "Boomer" videos are crucial pieces of evidence which seem to be largely ignored. In addition, there is body language, eye movements, facial expressions, speech patterns, etc.

For example, I just spent the last two hours doing nothing but listening to the most recent Billy Mitchell interviews, taking note of how many times certain key words or phrases were used. It gave me a massive headache (literally), but the results were very telling. In this case, I have never heard anyone say "The truth of the matter is" or "The fact of the matter is" so many times in my life. Who talks like that? There were so many red flags that I could barely keep up with them.

And the way Billy Mitchell reacts to being directly called a cheater by so many people is anything but normal. Suppose I were an arrogant jerk who came to this forum bragging about how good I was at Donkey Kong and that I thought that random person X from the leaderboard was a cheater, how might they react? Since all of them appear to be very legitimate players, I suspect their reaction would not be good. At the very least... it would be on like Donkey Kong.

I'm not one to blatently call someone a liar, and generally try to be fair and impartial, but the mountain of evidence against Billy Mitchell is overwhelming. Frankly, I don't find him to be a very likable guy, but that's just my opinion and I would never let it cloud my better judgement. Facts are facts, right?

Raven

« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2018, 10:53:13 am »
Facts are for Lonely Losers!
Speaking of facts, here is some "light" reading I recently found online about Billy Mitchell, Twin Galaxies and events surrounding the KoK movie. Which reminds me, I need to make time to watch King of Kong, Chasing Ghosts, etc... for the first time.

http://laweekly.blogs.com/joshuah_bearman/files/harpers_billy_mitchell.pdf

Later, the final half-hour of Billy’s Donkey Kong tape is revealed on special monitor set up on the floor of Funspot’s arcade. Once again, Billy has carefully orchestrated the event, and everyone is there. The tension is especially high because that very day a serious challenger named Steve Wiebe had himself set a new record on Donkey Kong. Walter’s voice is like a commentator’s track as Billy’s score mounts: Looks like we may see a milestone here. At the kill screen, the final score is 1,047,200, a big advance over Wiebe’s record. Billy, who is receiving up-to-the-minute reports of the proceedings from friends, immediately asks Walter to update the Twin Galaxies website with the new score. This by-passes the normal verification process. Wiebe should be enjoying several months of championship status while Billy’s record is being verified.
For the most part, all the attention is on Billy. Walter controls history with his book, and the fight for entry, I am learning, can be bitter. Billy’s self-created legacy is deeply inscribed in its pages, and he is willing to maintain that legacy with a certain amount of manipulation. As an official referee, Billy is able to put his  challengers scores  through added scrutiny. And with his Donkey Kong tape, Billy somewhat incredibly managed to make himself the  center of attention from 1,500 miles away. When I later look at the footage shot by our documentary crew, it becomes obvious: Billy was controlling the action on all of the screens.
In King of Kong, Wiebe’s experience parallels Abdner’s, although the struggle is more bitter; Billy claimed that Steve’s board may have been hotrodded and therefore managed to invalidate his taped Donkey Kong score. The director of King of Kong also gives credit to claims that Billy cheated on his own Donkey Kong tape from Funspot, a claim I strongly disagree with, but one that is not entirely out of line with the many ways Billy has tried to discredit Wiebe’s score.
I'm beginning to see why so many people don't like Billy Mitchell, and can't help but wonder just how deep this rabbit hole really goes. Seriously, I feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:02:08 am by Raven »

Online xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2018, 03:30:06 pm »
I have also updated the Donkey Kong Junior High Score List. Billy's 1,270,900 Boomer's has been removed and replaced with a 957,300 score from March 1983 in Ottumwa.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline OldMofoBo

• Awards
« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2018, 04:02:24 pm »
I found easy proof that people seem to have overlooked in the "Board Swap" video.  Nevermind having to determine the color of the text or component arrangement...

Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong Jr. PCB's have a MAJOR difference that nobody seems to have mentioned yet(unless I missed it) - The edge connector in the top left hand corner of Donkey Kong comes right to the edge of the PCB.  On a DK Jr. PCB, the edge connector is recessed noticeably(approx 1/4").

In the Boomer's Board Swap video, the board that is initially shown in the cabinet is absolutely a DK Jr. PCB.  This can be definitively determined by the recess of the edge connector.  After the "swap", you can once again see the recessed edge connector.

I own both DK & DK Jr. PCB's and I have attached photos.  Feel free to post, submit and/or use these photos however you wish.  Hope they are clear.

Thanks!

Member for 6 Years

Offline OldMofoBo

• Awards
« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2018, 04:07:40 pm »
Picture 1.
Member for 6 Years

Offline OldMofoBo

• Awards
« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2018, 04:08:35 pm »