Author Topic: Billy Mitchell's Direct Feed Recordings are MAME Generated  (Read 336952 times)

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Billy Mitchell's Direct Feed Recordings are MAME Generated
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2018, 09:57:19 pm »
When I got the tape in Jan. '08, I had the VHS recording transferred to DVD, but it spanned over 2 discs.  It's possible the anomaly happened at the end of disc 1/beginning of disc 2 if this was uploaded from those discs.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Raven

« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2018, 10:26:45 pm »
Well the 747,400 was at the end of the barrel board, the stacked Kong’s next, then rivers start with same score of course. it then backed up to the end of the barrel board again. No reason the score would change. It did look pretty crazy at first but it’s already been shown the original record didn’t have it.

This is a plausible explanation. I went back and checked again, except this time I expanded the scope of my frame by frame video analysis to include several seconds on either end of the segment in question. Just before the barrel screen ends, the score changes from 744,200 to 747,400 (score + bonus), and the details appear to be consistent with a "glitch" rather than an intentional splice.

The questionable Billy Mitchell 1,050,200 score video is linked below, starting at a point just before the anomalies begin to take place. Specifically, the point where Kong begins to climb the ladder, to provide a basis for comparison.

http://youtu.be/qfk0WxlSqpo?t=6758

A comparable Billy Mitchell 1,050,200 score video is linked below, starting at roughly the same point in time.

http://youtu.be/Y0ZKEGZpggI?t=6794

Regardless, this does not explain the distinct MAME characteristics present in both videos.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:51:26 am by JCHarrist »

Offline Bounty Bob

• Awards
« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2018, 03:10:42 am »
The anomaly is an overlap that happened during the duplication process. It's not a splice.

If the anomalies were the result of a duplication process, one would expect to see a different score on at least one of the adjacent screens. In this case, the score remained 747,400 on each of them. Why?
We're seeing the same bit of the game twice, with no scoring done, why would the score change?
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener

jdllama

« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2018, 07:45:55 am »
Again, hopping in (and again, I'm alright with not being anonymous, just didn't want to post to TG directly LOL), I can confirm that those Facebook messages to Walter are real that were mentioned on TG; I reached out to him to verify.

Offline M.Schrock

• Awards
« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2018, 10:40:47 am »
Billy Mitchell always has a plan!  <Billy>
Member for 7 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Raven

« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2018, 12:58:20 pm »
I've been closely examining the infamous Boomer's board swap video where the Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junor records were supposedly broken on the same day. It's the video where Billy Mitchell allegedly scored 1,062,800 points on Donkey Kong, roughly a week before his announcement at the Big Bang Video Game Hall of Fame event in Ottumwa, IA.

The overall quality of the video is very poor, and despite numerous claims that the same Donkey Kong Junior board was removed then reinstalled in the arcade cabinet, I was not entirely convinced. However, the fact that they never actually showed the two boards at the same time seemed suspicious, and the things they said struck me as being very odd. It's as if they went out of their way to provide much more information than was necessary, plus the entire "performance" felt contrived. With this in mind, I decided to see if the video could be cleaned up and/or enhanced to reveal more information.

As it turns out, the video contains much more information than meets the eye. In fact, it contains irrefutable evidence, if one knows what to look for. I would post the enhanced video to the Twin Galaxies dispute thread, but I absolutely will not compromise my identity to become "verified" just so I can post evidence to a forum which has a questionable history.

Regardless, this appears to be crucial evidence that people should see for themselves, so I'm open to suggestions, as long as it's not Youtube or Facebook because they tend to mangle videos. I also prefer that this information be public.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:04:47 pm by Raven »

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2018, 01:09:23 pm »
Regardless, this appears to be crucial evidence that people should see for themselves, so I'm open to suggestions, as long as it's not Youtube or Facebook because they tend to mangle videos. I also prefer that this information be public.

All very dramatic.

Assuming you're not taking the piss, what's stopping you from revealing this 'crucial evidence'? The video is available for anyone to see, and thanks to King Jammy the Wise, to hear again.

And are you sure this hasn't been mentioned before? The boardswap video has been known about for years.
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2018, 01:10:41 pm »

Well, a good place to start would be to just tell everyone what you found. If it can found in the video, it can be independently verified by others.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Bounty Bob

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2018, 01:23:47 pm »
I've been closely examining the infamous Boomer's board swap video where the Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junor records were supposedly broken on the same day. It's the video where Billy Mitchell allegedly scored 1,062,800 points on Donkey Kong, roughly a week before his announcement at the Big Bang Video Game Hall of Fame event in Ottumwa, IA.

The overall quality of the video is very poor, and despite numerous claims that the same Donkey Kong Junior board was removed then reinstalled in the arcade cabinet, I was not entirely convinced. However, the fact that they never actually showed the two boards at the same time seemed suspicious, and the things they said struck me as being very odd. It's as if they went out of their way to provide much more information than was necessary, plus the entire "performance" felt contrived. With this in mind, I decided to see if the video could be cleaned up and/or enhanced to reveal more information.

As it turns out, the video contains much more information than meets the eye. In fact, it contains irrefutable evidence, if one knows what to look for. I would post the enhanced video to the Twin Galaxies dispute thread, but I absolutely will not compromise my identity to become "verified" just so I can post evidence to a forum which has a questionable history.

I'll happily post to Twin Galaxies and won't mention any names. There is no identity compromise you just need to call a number from your given phone number and get a pin code to enter. You can have a fake name, address etc if you want. It's basically just to confirm that you're a real person. They'll have one of your phone numbers and that's about it.

But like I say, I can post there for you, so long as I am happy with the evidence provided anyway! Upload the video on wetransfer.com and pm me the link. Unless the video is more than 2GB, then we can come up with a different plan.

I just want the truth out there and the matter settled, however that pans out.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener

Raven

« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2018, 01:32:17 pm »
Well, a good place to start would be to just tell everyone what you found. If it can found in the video, it can be independently verified by others.

It's no secret that there are certain visual differences between Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior boards, but the poor quality of the source video makes it difficult to see the details necessary to make a conclusive determination. The enhancements helped to make the details much more clear.

I stopped short of stating my findings because people should see for themselves, then make up their own minds.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2018, 01:45:55 pm »
If evidence is claimed but no one exposes it, does it even exist
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
  • Why not play some Space Panic today?
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2018, 02:02:22 pm »
I'm open to suggestions, as long as it's not Youtube or Facebook because they tend to mangle videos. I also prefer that this information be public.

1) Upload it to mega.nz.

2) post the link

Member for 10 Years

Raven

« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2018, 02:04:57 pm »
I can post there for you, so long as I am happy with the evidence provided anyway! Upload the video on wetransfer.com and pm me the link. Unless the video is more than 2GB, then we can come up with a different plan.

I just want the truth out there and the matter settled, however that pans out.

Fortunately, the video is just under ten minutes long, and despite my enhancements, the size isn't too bad. I normally work with much larger HD video files, so this one is tiny by comparison. The video file is uploading now, and I will PM you the link when it's complete.

There are two parts to the enhanced video, where the first part is "normal" and the second part is "inverted", plus I added a timecode (HH:MM:SS:FF) overlay to the upper right corner of the video for reference. The video appears grainy due to the processes used to make the lighting more consistent, plus it was sharpened slightly to bring out more detail.

Here is an image to help visualize the major differences to look for in the enhanced video. I snagged it from the video Apollo Legend made, adding numbered identifiers for reference.

By the way, for those who think I'm simply trying to be "dramatic", the word I prefer to use is objective.

Raven

« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2018, 02:16:57 pm »
Upload the video on wetransfer.com and pm me the link.

I sent you the link, let me know if you are able to download the video. If not, I will try again. Also, when posting to Twin Galaxies, you can copy and paste my posts about the video in a quote if you wish. Don't forget to include the image posted above, so people will know what to look for.

Raven

« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2018, 02:31:23 pm »
I'm open to suggestions, as long as it's not Youtube or Facebook because they tend to mangle videos. I also prefer that this information be public.

1) Upload it to mega.nz.

2) post the link

I used the previously suggested file sharing website. Here is the download link, just in case it never gets posted to Twin Galaxies. Judge for yourselves.

https://we.tl/ZqTg4UAY01
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:34:16 pm by Raven »