Author Topic: My Classic Video Game Hall of Fame 2024  (Read 7787 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
My Classic Video Game Hall of Fame 2024
« on: January 01, 2024, 04:05:52 am »
Usually I follow along with how the Baseball Hall of Fame inducts players when it first started out.  I started in the year 1936, and now am at 1944.  Well, I looked at how the Hall of Fame inducted players, and it was nuts.  None this year, and none the next, and then 9 players in 1946.  Well I decided to divide that 9, and make it 3 players each year for the next 3 years.  So, yeah, I decided to veer off just a little the next three years.

So, here are my picks.

John McCurdy: I have to admit that I am biased against basically one score players, but Donkey Kong is a different animal.  The level of commitment is by far greater than any other Arcade game.  Getting a record on this is like getting a record on 20 other arcade games.  So, It's time I recognized McCurdy and his insane commitment he had to this game.  It's an incredible score.  Also, anyone else that gets the record automatically will be put in my Hall of Fame the very next year.  I decided to respect the Donkey Kong record that much

Justin Elliot: I realize that a lot of what he's done has been done in just the past three years, but my oh my he's done an amazing amount of stuff in just those three years.  3rd best in Donkey Kong with a giant 1.23 million score, breaking Phil Tudose's absolutely amazing DKJr Record, Getting the Crazy Kong record, getting the RBS Hard badge in DK3, and hey, how about being the first to get the Level S achievement by getting amazing scores on all four major Kongs in a period of just 24 hours?  Simply incredible.  This enshrinement is well deserved.

Ben Falls: To be honest, I was really contemplating putting him in since back in 2020, but he's barely missed the cut every year until now.  He really is a legend to arcade games.  Where to start?  He was one of the innovators of modern day Donkey Kong gameplay that transformed the game from just a top hammer and bottom hammer game.  One of the very first million point scorers in Donkey Kong.  Truly a pioneer of the game.  But his accomplishments go beyond that.  He was the second ever to get the RBS DK3 screen.  Also has a 1.3 million DKJr score when 1.3 million was much harder to pull off. 
He also has a simply incredible Popeye arcade score that I believe still stands to this very day.  In fact he's pretty good at a lot of Nintendo Arcade games.  He's also amazing at Satan's Hallow.  An extremely difficult shooter game.  There's also other games not listed where he's simply fantastic at.  A truly great gamer that's gets a well deserved enshrinement. 

My previous enshrinements

Donald Hayes
Billy Mitchell*
Matt Hall
Dwayne Richard
Todd Rogers*

*Both Todd Rogers, and Billy Mitchell were kicked out of Twin Galaxies after they were put in my personal Hall of Fame.

Martin Bedard
Tom Votava
John McCallister

Dean Saglio

Mark Kheil
Tim Sczerby
Robbie Lakeman
Wes Copeland
Phil Tudose
Andrew Barrow
Steve Wiebe

Shigeru Myamoto
Eugene Jarvis:
Takshi Nishiyama:
Toru Iwatani
Tomohiro Nishikado
Ed Logg

Walter Day
Jonas Neubauer

Hector Rodriguez
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 04:09:37 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
  • Why not play some Space Panic today?
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
Re: My Classic Video Game Hall of Fame 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 10:45:23 am »
 <Pigger>   "I WAS ROBBED!"
Member for 10 Years

Offline andrewg

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 04:05:41 pm »
It's actually amazing that I was thinking "I want flyhec on this list."

Oh wait that was considered "last year's." Whoops. Still I don't think I saw his name on this but did see the previous entries.

Is the list limited to high score? Also while I agree with Jonas I am surprised that Thor Aackerlund would not be the initial pick, Harry Hong also being very notable here. Understandable that you can't add everyone, but then again there are 7 entries one year and then  only 1 another year. I guess there's a sort of "theme" each year.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 04:31:20 pm by andrewg »
There's a Kill Screen Coming Up!
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline rayfinkel

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 07:45:41 am »
George, I'm very honored you would think of me this year. And WOW, to be in a class with such legends as Serphy and Benny. BBB.  BibleThump

Very cool. Thanks, dude.

Offline Verminator

• Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 02:04:50 pm »
Why Wiebe? He played one game and now isn't even in the top 10 of all time high scores? Just wondering.

(Edit: No offense to Wiebe if he reads this.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 02:21:17 pm by Verminator »
Berzerk (Fast Bullets/No Patterns) = 58,780
Berzerk (Slow Bullets/No Patterns) = 195,000
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
  • Why not play some Space Panic today?
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 08:01:28 pm »
Why Wiebe? He played one game and now isn't even in the top 10 of all time high scores? Just wondering.
Member for 10 Years

Offline Simpsons99

• Brian *The Big Bird Hater * Allen
    • Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 10:31:06 pm »

(Edit: No offense to Wiebe if he reads this.)
He had the DKJR WR at one time.
Donkey Kong 880,500 Kill Screen
Donkey Kong Junior 1,073,800 Kill screen
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000
Crazy Kong 566,600  Kill screen.

You Tube: Simpsons99 Gaming
Discord: Simpsons99 Gaming
Member for 10 Years DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline muscleandfitness

• Pie Kicker
  • Elite Member
  • Wall jump WR Holder x3
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 12:42:53 am »
Ill be there soon lit wow cccccclassic YEP YEP Brian allen . <Billy>
59 wall jumps new world record on mame
55 wall jumps on a cab New World Record
longest convener ride in dk history New World Record
World Record for standing behind oil can until end of lev
A Reverse finish on Rivet  board. 12 ks's HS 992900
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 06:03:50 am »
Why Wiebe?  Because he brought in a lot of people into classic gaming. The reason I got involved with classic gaming was watching Wiebe go after a kill screen on an old G3 broadcast.
The reason why he's out of the top 10 is because of the popularity of the movie.
Also, he's a multiple Donkey Kong world record holder.

I'm not certain this forum exists if his story isn't told on the big screen

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Verminator

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 01:44:48 pm »
Just an inquiry.
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline Simpsons99

• Brian *The Big Bird Hater * Allen
    • Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024, 07:16:43 pm »
I am hearing quite the Protest for me not getting into the Hall Of Fame.   It's Your thing you keep doing it .  I think really active players should not go into the hall of fame so early .
Donkey Kong 880,500 Kill Screen
Donkey Kong Junior 1,073,800 Kill screen
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000
Crazy Kong 566,600  Kill screen.

You Tube: Simpsons99 Gaming
Discord: Simpsons99 Gaming
Member for 10 Years DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Verminator

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 03:00:13 pm »
Don't worry. I do not agree with all the members who are in the Baseball Hall of Fame, but still have visited Cooperstown. :-)
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 05:43:10 pm »
I am hearing quite the Protest for me not getting into the Hall Of Fame.   It's Your thing you keep doing it .  I think really active players should not go into the hall of fame so early .
Brian, what exactly do you believe is your top reasons for being selected? By all means, make a case. I'm all ears. You have some qualifications.
1. One of the early rank d players
2. You've had records, and still have some
3. Great rivalry with Allen Staal

There's nothing that stands out.  You're a good player overall, but for the most part I have either amazing players or players with a major historical achievement.  Like being a record holder in Donkey Kong.
Outside of the Kongs there's not many very good scores on the all time greats. I know you have a decent 1942 score, and I think you have a good Galaxian score, but you'd need about 48 more very good scores like that.
Also, it's OK to not be great, or even good at the great games, but I expect a person then to do very good overall in tournaments.  Like Yolympics or the crap tournament.
You have none of that
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 05:46:36 pm by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2024, 06:16:41 pm »
I had a terrible 2008, then from 2009-2012 I took PEDs.   <peepoTinfoil>
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Matt

• Matt Gibbs DK_1981
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2024, 07:14:11 pm »

The World Golf Hall of Fame allows for active players, some pretty young. I suppose some people have gotten stars on The Hollywood Walk of Fame. Not sure about that though.

As a side note, Tim Sczerby definitely deserves to be on the list. Good choice.

I am uncertain if Pat Laffaye has any other scores, but he has been very skilled at Frogger and Paperboy.

I know very little of the politics of TG and such, and know very little of these guys. I'm still newer to the arcade scene, and don't mean to step on any toes, if inadvertently these guys are jerks or something.

BTW, can we make a "Historical" list so that Billy can be on it? maybe we could add Steve Sanders' 3,000,000+ score onto it? While we're at it, I actually scored several billion back in '05 on DK.  <stirpot> <stirpot> <Sanders> <Sanders> <Billy> <Billy>
I put in my coin and it didn't do anything!!!!
Member for 5 Years Twitch Streamer