Author Topic: Constructional service  (Read 20439 times)

Offline Svavar

• Awards
Re: Constructional service
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 08:23:52 am »
Welcome to the forum man! Hope to see you at Chassis Arcade! Its not common to meet someone else in Denmark set on going for the kill screen, would be cool to chat about some Donkey Kong.
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 03:02:43 pm »
Thank you Shnypz - what are your PB and are you aware of the skills you need to develop to go further? What are most frequently causing your deaths? You'll get that KS sooner or later :)

I've been training a bit and just got a new PB with 231,200 (L8). A nice leap for me - I have been chasing that 200k-mark for some time. I'm beginning to avoid some of the worst deaths, that I couldn't get by earlier (except from wasting a life by knocking my head on the elevator in the aforementioned PB-game). Still a lot of the techniques are far from permanent incorporated in my games - so I much practice more :)

New goal 300k.
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 03:23:26 pm »
Welcome to the forum man! Hope to see you at Chassis Arcade! Its not common to meet someone else in Denmark set on going for the kill screen, would be cool to chat about some Donkey Kong.

Thanks Svavar. I might drop by. I definitely could use some expert advice from you. Actually I have heard of you already. I've read (perhaps on Chassis' website) that you frequent the arcade and are highly skilled (the numbers don't lie :)). Did you set your record at their place?

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 07:39:29 pm »
Thank you Shnypz - what are your PB and are you aware of the skills you need to develop to go further? What are most frequently causing your deaths? You'll get that KS sooner or later :)

I've been training a bit and just got a new PB with 231,200 (L8). A nice leap for me - I have been chasing that 200k-mark for some time. I'm beginning to avoid some of the worst deaths, that I couldn't get by earlier (except from wasting a life by knocking my head on the elevator in the aforementioned PB-game). Still a lot of the techniques are far from permanent incorporated in my games - so I much practice more :)

New goal 300k.

Nice man, you're progressing quickly. My current PB is 317,500. I'm in a serious rut right now. Not sure what's going on. Might just be bad luck at the moment. The wild barrels and fireballs on the pie levels haven't been going my way lately. I'm taking a break from streaming until I can get back over 200k on a regular basis. At the end of June, leading up to DKO#3 and shortly after I was playing great. It seemed to fall off a cliff in early July. DKO#4 is in a few weeks so something's got to give soon.

The main thing I need to keep getting better at are the 4+ springs. Deaths are extremely avoidable on those levels and I still take a spring to the foot semi-regularly.
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 09:29:38 am »
Nice score Shnypz. Hope to join you soon :)

Do not like to hear about your rut. However - I have tried something similar a few times which often happen to me when I am just expecting to reach higher scores from playing more. Seems that the training and work to become better gets tougher the higher you get. Anyone else feels the same? I though that somehow you should "just" develop certain skills - and thereafter could "marathon" to the killscreen.

Hit in the foot? Making the final run too late?

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 11:12:10 am »
Maybe a bit late to 'pipe in' here, but...

I just read the original post in this thread, and can't stop laughing... bravo sir!

As a professionally-qualified English teacher in a university in Spain, may I congratulate you on your *mastery* of the English language. And Godspeed on your mastery of barrels, rivets, conveyors and springs!

Good luck and thank you for making me laugh so much  ;D
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 02:08:41 pm »
Thank you sir for your kind words. And thank you for the godspeed as well which is highly appreciated in the great quest of answering that simple yet so time consuming game-question: How high can you get? :)

Something that seems to (also) be holding true for DK: Only by reaching for the impossible you will find your true potential.

Game on :)

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 05:27:36 pm »

Hit in the foot? Making the final run too late?

Double long spring set and didn't notice the 2nd long spring in time to retreat. Typically hits me in the foot as i attempt to climb the final ladder. I'm trying to develop good peripheral vision where I'm mainly looking at jumpman but can still ID a long "retreat" spring as I make a run for it. I'm still working on. I attempted the "focus on the springs and not jumpman" method. I can do it ok but retreating is not as reliable.

Hope I explained that well enough  :o

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 11:02:59 pm »

Double long spring set and didn't notice the 2nd long spring in time to retreat. Typically hits me in the foot as i attempt to climb the final ladder. I'm trying to develop good peripheral vision where I'm mainly looking at jumpman but can still ID a long "retreat" spring as I make a run for it. I'm still working on. I attempted the "focus on the springs and not jumpman" method. I can do it ok but retreating is not as reliable.

Hope I explained that well enough  :o

Sure - I understand. Though you ment a hit in the right foot caused med the long/very short spring combination, which I think is avoidable with ultra speedy timing (someone knows for sure?)

Have you tried focusing on the trajectory that the second spring enters the screen, which are more aggressive on the long jumpy springs thats gonna hit you? Give you a bit more time to retreat than waiting to see how it line up with top of the elevator.

Offline Svavar

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 02:57:02 am »
I did all my personal bests at Chassis except for my current score. My current PB was set at the Shed in Kerteminde. Its an awesome private collection of dedicated cabinets. A group of us are going on the 15th, you should check out the Shed's facebook page if you wanna join!
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 03:31:42 pm »
Nice Svavar. You are a true asset for the danish "arcadery". Just saw a vid of your 1M+ PB. I am impressed!

So far I'm happy with mame - but will take a look at "The Shed". Thank you for the invitation.

Oh - and almost reached my new goal of 300k today with at new PB of 288,600 (only second game I'd played after my last PB). Think at last I'm beginning to understand what a "conservative" game is. With more practice and a bit more consistence I seem able to make a few leaps forward in the near future. Glad I brought the computer on my vacation  ;D

Note for myself: never climb the right- og leftmost ladder if the pies are coming from that particular side...
(EDIT: meant never move up ANY ladder if a pie just passed by and kong is near the left side shifting direction on the conveyors).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:00:23 am by mrvaya »

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2014, 02:55:44 am »
Closing in on my 300k-target with a new PB of 294,600. Deaths: Conveyor=2, Barrels=2. Of the deaths on barrels, one should be easily avoidable (easy jump where I was too focused on the barrels above me and didn't time jump correctly) and the other somehow avoidable (in a pressed situation I overlooked a fireball coming up from the ladder underneath me).

However, I still have some problems with the conveyor stage: If I wait on the ladders on the lower part of the stage and decide to make a move for the above conveyor and a fireball suddenly surprise me with an aggressive move down the platform -  I often find myself trapped between a pie and the fireball.
Guess one should make sure to always have an "exit-route" before moving?  <gasp>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:03:19 am by mrvaya »

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 06:55:59 am »
Practiced a bit on the conveyor (and made small adjustments on elevator) and have eliminated some of the most silly deaths... and then it came: A new PB of 311,400! Boom baby. Yes I know its just "survival-pace" but fine with me. Going for that KS  ;D

New goal: 400k.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:12:13 am by mrvaya »

WCopeland

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 07:46:07 am »
Nice work -- keep it up

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 08:27:46 am »
Awesome! Insane progress d00d.

I bumped my PB to 332,600 the other day. I'm also gunning for 400k  8)

Good luck!