Author Topic: I want Jeff at Romhacks to make D2K JR  (Read 31893 times)

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
Re: I want Jeff at Romhacks to make D2K JR
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 11:16:38 am »
Maybe we would be better off finally doing something like this in-house, especially if a few of us are willing to throw some $$$ around <Tim>.  I'd like to think some members here would be interested in taking on various parts of the job to get a coherent "something" done, at the end it would just be a matter of figuring out how to cheaply and effectively "port" it over to the dkjr hardware

Game Producer with past QA experience over here. I'm down to help in any way possible.

Not being that tech savvy in the program world QA?

I did black/grey box game QA for roughly 15 yrs. Got sick of it and wanted to define features/games instead of testing them. I do some light json and php work in my current role so i'm not afraid of code ;)
Member for 9 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger

Offline DKJR

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 03:54:07 pm »
Well sounds like we got a grease man.....you think we need one more,....we need one more
DKJR pb 721k & 621k (KS) DK pb 357k
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline DKJR

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 03:54:50 pm »
I guess if anyone knows who else or what else I'm down for throwing in some money

Online stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 04:50:11 pm »
Well sounds like we got a grease man.....you think we need one more,....we need one more

Notice how Brad Pitt is shown eating in almost every scene during that movie?

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline DKJR

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 04:57:28 pm »
Yeah I like the fries and chicken finger basket the best lol.

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 04:33:03 pm »
I've tried to get Jeff to look at other projects as well including another Mario bros. but I got, pretty much, the same answer as you guys did with Jr.  Dk Jr. is a great game and it would be very cool to not only see that one have a part 2 but other classic arcade games as well.  Maybe if this one takes off and gets done then others will follow?

Offline DKJR

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 07:17:48 pm »
As of now looks to be stalled   BibleThump

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 09:14:48 pm »
Just be sure to include Pauline somehow as Mario's villainous sidekick. Try and include that unused lightbulb sprite as well. Also, some may think of it as blassfamee, but why not throw in some of the unused DK music. :)
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 02:39:04 am »
It might not be original or anything but it sure would be cool if it had a co-op feature but I know it's not possible as the whole control panel would be different.

Offline DKJR

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 10:56:02 am »
Didn't know if this had any movement I had marky_d reach out to me on email about it but I lost the email. I've been MIA as I had a buddy recap my monitor and now I can't get it to sync up so I'm dead in the water on jr. and have playing a lot of PC and PS4 of late. may have to get back on MAME

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 11:03:04 am »
Forum member Sock Master is currently in the process of making pcb's for his creation, "Donkey Kong Remix". I don't remember exactly what was said, but I think he had mentioned that he may take on a remixed version of Donkey Kong Junior, if there is interest and if the sales for DKR go well. Hopefully he will chime in here when he gets a chance.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 11:18:51 am »
I don't think Junior needs too many tweaks to make it a really cracking game.

If the sock can sort a remix out.....i'm definitely having some of that!!  Kreygasm

Junior deserves some attention!!

Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 07:59:56 am »
There's definitely a possibility of doing something cool with DK Jr.    And after going through all this effort to create DK Remix, getting the hardware designed and built for it, etc... the barrier for doing a project for another game that runs on similar arcade hardware is much reduced.  The "Remix" hardware could be used for a DKJr Remix project idea, or even maybe for other Z80 games as well.

It would still be a big project and it would take time, but if I put my mind to it there could be a Jr Remix by the end of 2016.
Or if others had ideas or wanted to try their hand at a project, we now already have a board to make it possible. 
(We can't change the graphics, or add new sounds - beyond reusing existing sounds and graphics in new ways anyway.  But the main program code / game logic can now easily be replaced.  And the board will allow more program code for bigger games, more levels, etc.)

If someone wants to start the ball rolling, the first thing we need is a disassembly of DK Jr's Z80 code.   From there we could make new source code that would re-assemble into working game code which could then be modified and expanded upon.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline DKJR

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 08:42:14 pm »
Socks I started this thread many moons ago and now I'm getting back into arcade gaming after a break. I have zero experience in code or writing or any of that but I'm willing to donate my 100% working jr pcb and some cash to see my request and hopes fulfilled I will be buying a dk remix from you and I'd love to be a major player in bringing jr remix to the forum. Thanks Tony

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 12:42:26 pm »
That's a really generous offer, Tony.   I already have a DKjr PCB (okay it's a bootleg but it runs the same except for having the Japanese version of the ROMs) so I'm pretty much set.

When things do quiet down a bit on my end, I'm really considering it.   The first real obstacle is creating a disassembly of DKjr code.  That's the really tedious part... takes a long time and it feels like you're not making any progress for at least a month.  Basically there's no progress till after that's done.  After that, there is source code that can be tinkered with and re-assembled and a programmer can start seeing the effects of changes to the code.   A nice feedback cycle to keep the programmer encouraged.

I'll chime in when I do get to that stage.  Then people can start talking about things that need to be fixed in DKjr, ideas, etc..

Like DK Remix, it's also going to mean that there can't be brand-new graphics in the game (beyond creative ways of re-using the already existing graphic and sound elements.)
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer