Author Topic: Tut tut  (Read 21903 times)

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Tut tut
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2017, 04:00:43 am »
3 years? Well better late than never I guess. At least JC won't ask me to make a new topic (<Pigger>)

Been playing this a bit recently and I've noticed a couple of things (I can't yet explain) which have aroused my curiosity, if you will.

-Enemy types are predictable. Seems to be a constant number of each enemy that comes out of a certain spawn point (maybe each spawn point is the same constant?) before the next one appears.

-Spawn points spawn the same enemies. Some only spawn the fast & nasty fuckers. Some spawn the others. Some do both. Some may do all 3 types.

What I'm getting at is, if you can predict with high confidence what enemy will spawn next, it will give you the upper hand. Safely anticipating those fast bastards seems crucial to me.

^this stuff could depend on each loop of the game and internal difficulties, adding to the complexity.

Jry also pointed this out to me, the spawn point in the picture never spawns an enemy.

I'd love to incorporate this into my gameplay. This section is one of the trickiest in the game.

Anyway not much new information but hopefully a few thought provoking questions. This game is annoyingly annoying and with the right information I don't think would be all that difficult to score largely

Lit

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:02:17 am by Barra »
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2017, 03:42:24 pm »
A few years ago I found what seemed to be a partly commented disassembly of the Tut code. I don't remember exactly where I found it, and re-Googling hasn't helped me. I think it was from someone who was porting Tut over to another platform, so the code is sort of rewritten for that. I still have the original copy that I found and I've attached it below. Maybe some programmers out there can take a closer look. :) ***cough*** sock ***cough***
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2017, 07:14:23 pm »
^awesome stuff there Jry, really hope someone with the right knowledge can have a look.

I have zero idea how to read this, so could be completely off here but I found this table interesting:

Code: [Select]
points_table_index fdb $88E8
fdb pts_40
fdb pts_60
fdb pts_40_2
fdb pts_50
fdb pts_100
fdb pts_200
fdb pts_500
fdb pts_400
fdb pts_1000
fdb pts_50_2
fdb pts_1000_2
fdb pts_1500
fdb pts_2000
fdb pts_3000
fdb pts_4000
fdb pts_4000_2
fdb pts_5000
fdb pts_6000
fdb pts_7000
fdb pts_8000
fdb pts_9000
fdb pts_9900
fdb pts_110000

Looks like its the point values you can acquire through various means. Enemies, keys, doors, treasure etc

Last couple (last one especially) is pretty curious. Of course as I said, could be looking at this totally wrong :)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2017, 08:23:16 am »
The port is for the Tandy Color Computer (my favorite 8-bit computer).  Tutankham and the Color Computer share a lot of hardware similarities, including a 6809 CPU (my favourite 8-bit CPU).   The guy doing this port is Mark McDougall, you can find his blog here:
http://retroports.blogspot.ca/

He actually did get the game running on the CoCo, essentially arcade perfect but it displays sideways because the monitor on the arcade game is oriented the other way.  The project is on-hold right now and the graphics routines still need to be recoded to re-orient everything, plus sound and other details need to be added.
He's busy with other projects right now, but this project has been tempting me to pick it up and finish it.

If I do, well, that would mean learning the code inside and out, eh?   Mind you, there are always a zillion things in my list of neat things I'd like to do.   I could try looking through it to see if I could spot some specific logic of interest.   As is, I am not familiar with the code so it may take some digging to pinpoint where something specific is hiding in the code.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2017, 09:04:53 am »
Hi John,

Long time listener, first time caller.  My ultimate code wishlist would be for someone to figure out if the falling sign on building 4 of Crazy Climber is random or determined somehow, also if it possible to conquer with any sort of regularity.  This piece of code was responsible for me smashing 3 different Crazy Climber marquees and finally having to sell the arcade game at the urging of those who love me.  Can I please add something like this to the zillion?   <popcorn>  I would offer many fantastic beers and a smashed marquee.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2017, 12:02:36 pm »
If I do, well, that would mean learning the code inside and out, eh?   Mind you, there are always a zillion things in my list of neat things I'd like to do.   I could try looking through it to see if I could spot some specific logic of interest.   As is, I am not familiar with the code so it may take some digging to pinpoint where something specific is hiding in the code.

Anything to do with enemy movement and spawning logic. If that is figured out, there really isn't much more to the game.

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2021, 11:20:51 pm »
Started playing Tut again recently. Still tough.

If only I could play like this guy: