Author Topic: Roy's method for Missile Command is harder.  (Read 8577 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Roy's method for Missile Command is harder.
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:36:56 am »
About some time back I noticed the Missile Command that had the type of track ball that Roy Schildt used.  My initial thoughts were, my goodness that is big! I think it's no coincidence that Roy Schildt is a body builder. A person would need extremely strong hands to move a track ball of that size around the screen at elite level speed. 
The track ball Tony uses is much smaller.  More like the Centipede track ball.   An average person can use that with out much problem.  So my conclusion is this.  Yes, Roy Schildt's settings are indeed harder than Tony Temple's.
Having said that, I don't think having forearms like Popeye should be a requirement to have the Missile Command record.  So I am very fine with recognizing Tony Temple as the legit Missile Command holder.  But having said that, I would be surprised if Tony could crack a million using the settings Roy uses.  <stirpot>
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:43:35 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline timhett

• Awards
Re: Roy's method for Missile Command is harder.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:51:43 am »
<Roy>there are 3 standard trackball sizes I know of - 4", 3", 2 1/2".  Maxi, midi, mini. 
From what I understand of the MC cursor speed debate, it came about because they made different speeds to accommodate different trackballs for different cabs.  But I believe they were standard, in other words, upright always had x size, cockpit always had y size, etc.  Roy used a different speed, which was intended for a different sized ball, (the different size balls and different speeds should make the trackball move the same speed or feel that way at least.  All the MC cabs I've played on or seen have the large size trackball.  That large ball is hard to move but also allows more control than the mini.  Obviously the 3" is the best design lol
<Roy>
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 01:17:41 pm »
I didnt know TT played on a small trackball machine. That kind of ruins Roys argument about the settings because that setting is exactly for that purpose, to make the cursor move the same speed on the smaller ball.

As for the effort, its not much harder to move the big ball if its setup properly. We have had several games over 24h here on the big trackball and there never has been any issue with hand fatigue due to the larger ball.

-Ken
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 01:21:12 pm »
TT plays on a full sized upright cab with a full sized Trackball sirs and always has done.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:24:13 pm by Jonesy Kong »
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 02:10:33 pm »
TT plays on a full sized upright cab with a full sized Trackball sirs and always has done.
Oops, my bad, so it's just about cursor speed, not track ball size.  Self FailFish
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 02:18:34 pm »
There does seem to be, or certainly was a load of speculation about TB settings etc.

I've been to TT's place, he only lives an hour away, played his cab and more importantly watched the guy play MC. The guys skill set is beyond anything I've seen on any classic arcade game and honestly needs to be seen to be believed.

Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline HugDD

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 05:04:35 pm »
<Roy>there are 3 standard trackball sizes I know of - 4", 3", 2 1/2".  Maxi, midi, mini. 
From what I understand of the MC cursor speed debate, it came about because they made different speeds to accommodate different trackballs for different cabs.
<Roy>

I believe Tim's right about these.  Centipede, as well as the cabaret Missile Command cabinets, utilize the smallest trackball.  Recently, I've been playing on the Centipede/Millipede/Missile Command cab at the small game room of a nearby mini-golf place.  That machine utilizes the 3" one that's in Millipede cabinets, and has buttons instead of the iconic cones buttons (these would prove to be a pain to the hands for Centipede and Millipede, ha).  Nonetheless, even with the smaller trackball than is on a dedicated Missile Command, I can't hack it at this brutal game, ugh.  I used to be able to make it to the first blue screen, but to me, this game kicks your butt sooner than the other classics I enjoy playing!  :-[

-Duc
My best streamed Centipede game https://www.twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade/v/51955812 -786k

I guess it's about trying to live a life where I'm not contributing to the cruelty in the world...While I am on this planet, I want everyone I meet to know that I am grateful they are here - Jessica Chastain
Member for 8 Years