Author Topic: Modifying the default behavior of deleted posts  (Read 8757 times)

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Modifying the default behavior of deleted posts
« on: May 14, 2014, 02:27:24 am »

I'd like to propose a change in the way deleted posts are handled.  Instead of physically removing the post (as if it never existed), perhaps the body of the message could be replaced with "Post deleted by <username> on mm/dd/yyyy at hh:mm:ss", or something similar.  A thread can be difficult to follow if a reply addresses a prior post that has since vanished.  A placeholder of sorts would not eliminate the confusion, but might partially explain why a subsequent comment seems out of place.

Also, it appears that if a forum member initiates a new topic and later deletes the original post, the entire thread disappears with it.  That's unfortunate, as it gives an individual the power to censor the thoughts expressed by others.  Imagine if the TG "Million Point March" thread had begun as a simple request from a novice player, looking for tips on how to improve their DK high score.  If that player (for whatever reason) later deleted the original post, dissolving the entire discussion with the domino effect of their action, an historic online resource would have been lost.

Is there an admin setting to control this functionality?

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
Re: Modifying the default behavior of deleted posts
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 12:46:46 pm »
All members have the ability to delete or lock a topic they start. That's just the default settings of the forum software and I've never had a reason to change it.

I have set up a "Recycle Bin" in the moderator area that all deleted topics will now go into.

As far as single posts, I don't see a way to leave a placemark for a deleted post. The only way to do this would be to remove members ability to delete them.

I really haven't seen this as a big problem but I'm open to suggestions.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 04:12:50 pm »
All members have the ability to delete or lock a topic they start. That's just the default settings of the forum software and I've never had a reason to change it.
Thank you for looking into it, Jeff.

I have set up a "Recycle Bin" in the moderator area that all deleted topics will now go into.
Outstanding!  I'll create a new "test" topic, wait 3-4 days to allow for a number of meaningless replies, then delete it.  We'll see what happens, and what further options are available (restore, delete permanently, etc.).

Taking the new feature for a test drive and kicking the tires, if you will.

As far as single posts, I don't see a way to leave a placemark for a deleted post. The only way to do this would be to remove members ability to delete them.

I really haven't seen this as a big problem but I'm open to suggestions.

Yeah, the freedom to delete an individual post is more important than the occasional loss of continuity within a topic.  I don't see it as a huge problem either.

I got the placeholder idea from a number of deleted  <Mruczek>  posts over at CAGDC, in the following thread:

OK, Dwayne Richard has a video where he reviews Steve Wiebe's DK game.

Looking at that topic again, it appears that the posts weren't actually deleted.  Instead, each post seems to have been manually edited, with the word "Deleted" replacing the original text.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 05:27:21 pm »
I recommend a test post in Steve's List Forum.   <Wiebe>
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:10:13 am »
I recommend a test post in Steve's List Forum.   <Wiebe>
As you wish.

Recycle Bin Test Topic

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)