Author Topic: shnypz tracker  (Read 8979 times)

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
shnypz tracker
« on: April 29, 2014, 07:12:40 am »
Figured I'd start one of these...

DK News:
To set a baseline, a killscreen is my ultimate goal. I strictly play on arcade hardware, either my DK machine or 60-1. I've been seriously playing for about 6 months. Typically an hour a night after the wife goes to bed.

Current PB is just over 200k, game over was late into L=7. Sorry I don't have exact stats. I'll do better with that going forward. I'm finally getting better with a 4+ spring retreat plan. It's more or less been a YOLO on a long spring approach so far. This weekend, I got the furthest ever on my first jump man...first death was on the L=6 springs. My game went to shit shortly after that tho.

The controller on my DK machine has started sticking on occasion which is causing some unjust deaths. I'm talking to a local repair place to get estimates around fixing the controller and re-capping the monitor. I may need to start playing more on the 60-1 which makes me sad #firstworldDKproblems.

Other Gaming News:
At work, we have a homemade mame/emulator cabinet. Just about every week the company holds some type of classic game tourney. So far I've won DK, Pacman, Galaga and Jungle Hunt. Anyway, this week is a "No continues, no cheat code, no point farming" Contra NES high score tourney. I played through the game w/o continuing and finally lost all my d00ds on the final stage of the 2nd play-through. Final score was 968k. So far no one else has come close to playing through the game once. I think I have this on in the bag  <Billy>

We'll see how this blog thing goes, I'll try to checkin weekly if I've made any DK progress or any fun game tourneys go down at work
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
Re: shnypz tracker
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:42:27 am »
Gaming tournaments at work?  BibleThump  Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:56:21 am »
Gaming tournaments at work?  BibleThump  Kreygasm

haha, yep. $50 first place prize but after I won Pacman and Jungle Hunt in the span of a month they added a "you can only win the $$ prize once a quarter" rule. You can still play but if you win, the cash prize goes to 2nd place and 1st can pick the game for next week. I actually crushed the Bubble Bobble high score by ~100k but didn't post my score on the board since I couldn't win the cash. I had about 5 "witnesses" tho.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 09:37:32 am »
Jungle Hunt tournaments are  Kreygasm
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 09:55:34 am »
Jungle Hunt tournaments are  Kreygasm

Yeah, it was fun. I almost lost cuz some kid figured out you can keep jumping the natives at the end of the level to rack up points. We didnt have the timer bonus so there was no reason to rush. He couldn't get past the 3rd vine level. Meanwhile my legit play through up to level 6 almost lost to that BS.

Pacman was another fun one. Kept getting accused of using "cheesy" patterns. I kept telling them I wasn't even that good. I won with a 53k score.  :P

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 08:11:25 am »
I talked to the repair guy yesterday. Of course, he said he wouldn't really know without digging into it but from what I explained over the phone, the monitor re-cap and joystick/speaker repairs would probably be in the $250 range. I was prepare to spend around $300 which he said it should be well under unless he finds something nasty.

I'll probably drop it off this weekend. Gonna to miss my baby. The repairs will probably take 2 weeks, maybe longer due to the backlog of work the guy has lined up. I'll probably start streaming once I get it back. I want to get on the HS board  8) My undocumented PB would place me in the 170s. Gotta log something "official" tho.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 08:57:48 am »
I'll probably drop it off this weekend.

Unfortunate timing.  Does that mean you're sitting out the DK Open this weekend?

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 09:27:21 am »
I'll probably drop it off this weekend.

Unfortunate timing.  Does that mean you're sitting out the DK Open this weekend?

I wasn't planning to play. The sticky controller is really starting to hurt my gameplay. I'm also still figuring out a good webcam/stream setup. I was able to rig a webcam onto one of those suction cup GPS holders which seemed to work. It did loose suction and fall while I was playing tho.

I could always play on my 60-1 which seems ok according to the rules.

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 07:39:13 am »
Stella Blue got me thinking that I may delay the cabinet repairs until after this weekend's tourney. Unfortunately, I was looking over my joystick to verify the 4-way guide plate was legit and noticed that the guide plate was missing all of the screws  BibleThump

That's probably one of the many reasons why I've been having joystick issues lately. Also the guide plate is a 4-way but it's a bit warn down. mikesarcade.com should have them in this week. Might as well replace it while getting the other repairs done.

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 10:07:44 am »
Won the Contra tourney with a 1.5 mil score. 2nd place had a score of 188k  ;D

I used the $50 amazon card to get a MS LifeCam Studio 1080p HD Webcam. I'll start experimenting with streaming once it arrives.

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 10:22:34 am »
Successfully repaired my joystick with some help from NERDtendo over on the VAPS/KLOV boards. I still have monitor/sound issues but I can live with those for now.

Officially back on the DK machine and off the 60-1  Kreygasm

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 10:40:08 am »
I used the $50 amazon card to get a MS LifeCam Studio 1080p HD Webcam. I'll start experimenting with streaming once it arrives.

New webcam.  DK cabinet back in action.  All systems go.

Looking forward to your future broadcasts.   8)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 10:54:50 am »

New webcam.  DK cabinet back in action.  All systems go.

Looking forward to your future broadcasts.   8)

with a PB of only 200k, there won't be much to watch  FailFish but thanks. Webcam should arrive Monday.

I've been practicing some "light" point pushing techniques and advanced jump strategies lately. I've learned a bunch from watching some of the streamers....just need more practice.

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 10:02:12 am »
The monitor cap situation has gone from "just let it warm up for 5-10 mins and it's fine" to "turn it on, come back in 30-45 min, flip it on and off then pray the vert hold sticks". I have the monitor and sound board cap kits on order. I'll probably drop off at the repair shop on Wednesday. The guy doing the re-cap says he'll be sure to have it done before DKO#3 which is good. I have fresh t-molding and coin decals ready for the old girl once I get it back. It's gonna be a tough 2 weeks slummin' it on the 60-1 again.

Last night, I was practicing some 1-1 and light point pressing. I didn't stream since there were restarts galore. I ended up with a solid L1 and 2 so decided to play out the game. Topped by PB by around 20k. Not a huge deal since I probably wouldn't have sub'd the score anyway. Really want to get around 250-300k for my next sub. Either way...progress!!!

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 04:05:46 pm »
Good job mate ;-)

First law of Donkey Kong: If Dean cannot reroll a score higher than yours, it means you're becoming decent at this game. You're score is higher than 206,800, then you're safe!

Keep improving mate, kill screen coming up!  <Allen>
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer