Author Topic: VonBlogenstein  (Read 110664 times)

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: VonBlogenstein
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2013, 04:58:25 pm »
06/01/13:  Another ho hum cab session at the Kencade.  Nothing worthwhile to report, though my confidence is rising.  And with a small break from school in my near future, I may be able to play a whole lot more soon.

Let's see how close I have been staying to my one-session-per-week vow...

Official start date of mission "Unify the Belt": 02/28/13. 
Weeks since 02/28/13: 14.
Sessions since 02/28/13: 10.

So it looks like I have some ground to make up.  Look for me to start jamming hard around the middle weeks of June.

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 02:18:06 am »
07/09/14:  This blog post was sent from the future!!  The future where my blog posts don't suck quite as hard.

It's difficult finding motivation to write about every shitty Donkey Kong session I have, and even more difficult to try and make a shitty session of Donkey Kong worth reading about.  And so, in an effort to make my blog entries more fun, I am giving this blog a makeover – it's a blogover.

This
EPIC
FUCKING
BLOG
starts now!
___________________________________________________________________________________

Personal
My Donkey Kong play can sometimes be a reflection of my life. 

If my schedule is super hectic and all I want to do at the end of a day is relax, Donkey Kong too can become tedious, and as a result my play will be lackluster.  If I'm on vacation and have a lot of free time – some of which I will spend playing Donkey Kong and some of which I will spend drinking and sleeping – than I will be more relaxed and as a result play looser/better.  Thus, if I'm in limbo, somewhere between work and vacation, then it follows my Donkey Kong play will be somewhere between lackluster and first-rate.   

With school coming to an end (I'm wrapping up my last 2 classes this Summer) I am obviously in many ways excited and relieved, yet the stresses of homework and exams are now being replaced with the stresses of the real world.  I feel like I've earned the opportunity to just chill out for awhile, but surely any prospective employers will look down upon downtime.  Therefore, as a sort of compromise, I have decided to enroll in grad school, but not begin my graduate studies until Winter.  This break, from September through December, will give me the necessary time to decompress, however, it also has the potential to create great financial instability if I cannot find career-related work in the meantime.  I need to find a job or an internship that is relevant to my degree so I can begin building a resume that features impressions beyond a former Donkey Kong world record.  I need to get out there and market myself, and I fucking hate marketing myself.  A whole lot of phony smiles and cover letters await me, and as a result, despite being more or less on vacation, I am not relaxed – I am in limbo.

In line with my personal state, my Donkey Kong play is also in limbo.  It started with the Donkey Kong Open tournament, when I played for hours at roughly 1.1 million pace and got absolutely nowhere.  I had thought all my max point-pressing attempts would make 1.1 tries significantly easier, and they did, or, it WAS easier, yet not over-pressing the barrels didn't keep me from getting my ass melted off on every pie factory. 

“Fuck it!” I finally thought, “If I'm still subject to the whims of the pie factories then I really need to scale things back until I at least get a score on the board and secure my spot at the Kong Off.”

For now, my long-term Donkey Kong scoring goals have been put on hold.   

Since this decision my sessions have greatly improved.  Precisely, I've had two sessions each consisting of two games, with scores 2x500k and 2x800k.  Yes, I've still to get a score on the board, but my head is in a much better place now.  It used to be that playing at anything less than full bore felt like a waste of my time and ability.  I wasn't interested in scoring 1.1 million or whatever, I wanted the big one.  Now, in this state of limbo, I'm content to just play through a game at a medium pace and see what happens. 

Just like I need to find a job to provide some financial support for my family and help build a future within my chosen career, I need to put up a score and secure my spot in the Kong Off 3.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Educational
Recently I was asked why I often position myself to the right of the bottom hammer when setting up for the grab.  Here's the answer:

http://www.twitch.tv/dwwnp/c/2541621

The name of the video is “Fireballs are Scared of Me”, but in reality, fireballs are not scared of me, nor am I a magician or a practitioner of voodoo witchcraft.  The video features a very particular circumstance wherein I have recognized and exploited a specific fireball “sub-routine”. 

“Sub-routine my dick!” you say.  “Lexmark science!” you say. 

Well, you are entitled to think (wrongly ;) ) whatever you want.  I will present you with evidence to support my claim, and you can decide for yourself what makes up reality.  Furthermore, I do not want this video to incite willy-nilly fireball jumping.  I do not want Allen to start thinking he can jump fireballs whenever he pleases.  Read and watch carefully, and judge for yourself whether it's worth further exploring this tactic and integrating it with your existing play.

Here's another video showing exploitation of essentially the same sub-routine.

http://www.twitch.tv/dwwnp/c/2541491

Questions I can imagine people are having: one, How does this generate advantage? and two, Is the risk worth it?   

One: advantage is gained by delaying the hammer grab.  I believe these videos demonstrate clearly, that by delaying the hammer grab by just an extra half-second I am given the opportunity for an extra smash.  Even if I miss the steer to claim the extra barrel, the opportunity was there.  Had I been standing to the left of the hammer in either scenario I would have been too uncomfortable not to grab the hammer from the left – grab the hammer a half-second earlier – and missed out on the potential for an extra barrel as a result.

Two: the only risk associated with this tactic is in misreading the sub-routine; the sub-routine shown in these first two videos can be exploited 100% of the time.  Look now at how I respond when I recognize the fireball as not fitting to the sub-routine shown in the first two videos.

http://www.twitch.tv/dwwnp/c/2541570

Can you spot the fireball “tell” that made me adjust my positioning?  Can you spot the “tell” that made me confident to jump towards the fireball in the first two videos?   

I didn't know precisely how the fireball was going to behave after it deviated from the sub-routine shown in the first two videos.  All I knew was that the fireball had become a potential threat, and that if I did not adjust my position and the fireball came charging back at me, I would stand a good chance of dying.  In this case, everything worked out swimmingly and the extra delay before the hammer grab netted me extra smashes.

When discussing some of this on Twitch the other day, I was asked why I wouldn't just stand to the left except when I recognized the safe sub-routine.  Here's the answer (but please keep in mind that this is an answer to why I play this way and not necessarily a response to why playing like this is best):

I want as much of my movement as possible to be focused towards the left, and specifically, towards Kong's ladder where I can intercept barrels and drastically reduce their time on the higher girders.  This means I want to prevent the fireball from dictating my movement as much as possible.  I don't want to put myself in a position where I have to react to the fireball when it may be unnecessary to do so.  I want to give the fireballs as much time as possible to tell me their intentions.  Watch here as I expertly :) maximize a bottom hammer by standing my ground.

http://www.twitch.tv/dwwnp/c/2542134

And here again, an example wherein I react to the fireball only after it has made its intentions clear (don't mind the anti-Pac-Man rant). 

http://www.twitch.tv/dwwnp/c/2541546

Guessing at fireball behavior can get you killed and preempting a possible fireball threat can lose you points. Don't do either, if you can help it.

These videos were all from one playing session – two games – hence I am not talking about corner case scenarios here.  These situations come up, and if you can remain calm in the face of fire, your scores will rise.  Additionally, jumping fireballs shows everyone just how large a bulge you're sporting.  In the CAG world the importance of style points is often overlooked.

Professional
When the rules governing how the Wild Card tournaments would feed the Kong Off Wild Card division were initially announced, I was less than pleased.  As it was initially drawn up, the structure of the Wild Card tournaments had the potential to actually hurt players who were near the bottom of the top 12.  I withdrew from the third Wild Card Tournament for exactly this reason.  The way I saw it, the Wild Card division was getting out of control and taking away way too many of the privileges afforded to the top 12 players.  I don't support affirmative action. 

In the end though, Eric and John responded to feedback from the community and got it right (in my opinion) with the Donkey Kong Open tournament structure.

I never meant to be condescending to the efforts of Eric or John, they are a gift to the Donkey Kong community. 

Thank you Eric and John.  Thank you.

Alright that's all I have for now, except for this one last feature of my blogover,...

The Tip of the Day/Month/Whatever (imagine a booming echo): The moment you start believing the game is against you, the game will turn against you.  As much as you possibly can, stop believing in randomness and blaming it for your deaths.  Take ownership of your play and ask first, “How can I stop that from happening again?” and not “What the fuck was that bullshit!?”

Disclaimer: this particular Tip of the Day does not apply to levels 1 through 4; levels 1 through 4 ARE, in fact, total bullshit.

Until next time, may your largeness be huge.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:20:58 am by VON »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK 1.1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer Blogger Wildcard Rematch Champion Winner of a community event DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - MAME

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2013, 02:25:49 am »
Quite epic indeed!

I'm a firm believer in taking responsibility for your own play. But I agree, Levels 1-4 are bullshit.  ;D
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2013, 02:29:46 am »
haha levels 1-4 are bullshit and i love them. great stuff, ross
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 02:56:00 am »
Splendid!!!

This was some tasty readin'.

Now I'll proceed to disagree with you, but with the utmost hugs...

As it was initially drawn up, the structure of the Wild Card tournaments had the potential to actually hurt players who were near the bottom of the top 12.  I withdrew from the third Wild Card Tournament for exactly this reason.  The way I saw it, the Wild Card division was getting out of control and taking away way too many of the privileges afforded to the top 12 players.  I don't support affirmative action.

Well, I'll be interested to see how you feel about this if/when Richie and Jourdan make it official that MAME scores won't qualify players for a dedicated machine...

One of the reasons I DO support "affirmative action" in the case of the KO is because more wildcard time helps to mitigate what I see as a problematic "top 12 in the world" system, which is really a "top 12 in the world who also have an arcade machine and want to cough up 60 bucks" system.

As it stands, Phil T. and Robbie are already out if they go arcade-only, and/or if they insist on verification (since Robbie's game is ineligible for official submission regardless).

If you get your 1.1, but don't get a headline spot because of these politics, then you should at least have your own cab on Sunday. The wildcard format makes that possible.

I support the new TG, and in fact I would love it if everybody submitted, and our Top 12 here mirrored theirs, but that's never gonna be the case, so the qualification requirement to be a headliner isn't my favorite.

Remember KO1, when everyone just kinda played it by ear and the community essentially voted in the participants after hashing it out on CAG? Perhaps that was the right idea.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:06:36 am by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2013, 03:18:59 am »
Well, I'll be interested to see how you feel about this if/when Richie and Jourdan make it official that MAME scores won't qualify players for a dedicated machine...

Indeed, I have already planned to write about this situation in a future blog entry.

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2013, 06:39:53 am »
Great post Ross, I will have to watch the vids when I get home from work...some very interesting stuff!

The MAME vs Arcade thing is pretty tough...and I can already tell the whole KO3 top 12 thing is going to be really tough.  There are valid arguments on both sides for/against letting MAME scores be mixed in with arcade, or at least letting them qualify you for the KOs.  All of this is stuff I remember reading on CAG/TG and other forums:

The for side can say that it is the exact same game.  There are really no differences at all.  The KO2 showed that MAME players are perfectly capable of beating all the Arcade players (Dean and Jeff coming in 1st and 2nd).  And although Dean practiced with an arcade stick for quite a bit before the event, Jeff reportedly never touched an arcade stick or machine before, and still beat everyone.

The against will bring in all the small details between playing on MAME and Arcade.
- Playing on a slanted Sanyo EZ-20 is different than playing on a brand new LED computer monitor.
- Playing on a joystick is harder because it takes longer to move between left/right/up/down, and takes longer to push an arcade button compared to pressing a keyboard key to jump.
- Time between restarts is longer on arcade because you have to kill off your men before you can restart a new game.
- Standing, or sitting on a stool at a specific height, can wear you out or be more uncomfortable than sititng in a computer chair, at any height you like.
- Recording an arcade performance takes more steps and is a more thorough verification process than MAME.  You have to show yourself, speak into the camera, record the inside of your machine, power the machine on and off, etc, none of which you have to do during a MAME performance.

There are points for and against grouping all the scores together, but it does make it tough to combine 2 things when you are able to list even 1 difference between these 2 things...and those against grouping them all together would probably come up with a long list of reasons why to keep things seperate.

As for what's right...I don't have all the answers...so I have to be careful how I share my opinions.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2013, 07:06:49 am »
Way to go Ross, You may of convinced me to play from the right when the fire climbs the broken ladder. I don't know how many times I jump away from the fire the moment it stops coming at me and climbs to the third girder GRRRRRR. >:(

I need to get myself going and finish a video on exploiting another fireball weakness and save some wasted jumpman lives.
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Winner of a community event Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK No-Hammer Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener

hchien

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2013, 08:34:29 am »
Kudos.  Very nice post Ross.

Remember KO1, when everyone just kinda played it by ear and the community essentially voted in the participants after hashing it out on CAG? Perhaps that was the right idea.

Highly controversial, but perhaps a better/more accurate way of doing it.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2013, 10:20:23 am »
I would never like to see it turn into a voting system.

KO1 had sort of a qualification, it wasn't really voting in.

900K "live" was the qualification, which ended up being expanded to streaming also (which is how I got in) and there weren't many streaming back then.

So the field ended up being:

Previous record holders:
Hank
Billy
Steve
Tim S.

Dean & Vince (for their MAME 1M+ accomplishments)

Eric Howard (957K on TG)
Ben (900K+ live)
Dave M (900K+ streamed)
Ross (900k+ MAME accomplishments and overall recognition amongst all DK players, probably the only 'vote' in)

There was the original 10, Tim S dropped out and was replaced by Mark K who has a 922K score but wasn't streamed I believe).

Last second entry was Kyle Goewart who shocked the field with a late TG submitted 980K+ game (which was #4 on the TG list at the time) , had to be included.

So the field became 11.

Anyway, not to derail Ross' awesome blog, just wanted to clarify the KO1 qualification.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:23:52 am by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2013, 12:29:49 pm »
I don't have the clearest memory of how the KO1 qualification discussion went down, and I think some of it happened off of the forum, which I wouldn't have seen. I do remember the criteria being discussed at one point and it seemed somewhat informal. But you'd definitely know more about that. I know Scott Kessler was annoyed at not being invited. At any rate, it didn't require a TG verification, it was more what the community acknowledged as legit scores.

With a couple of exceptions (like Scott) things were also a lot more cut and dry back then in terms of who deserved a spot. It was you guys, and then a pretty significant drop-off in scores. Nowadays it's a fight over inches.

I actually don't much like the idea of some kind of vote system either, the more I think about it. It's one thing to be mad at TG, we don't all want to be mad at each other.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:40:09 pm by ChrisP »

Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2013, 01:07:02 pm »
Not sure what happened With Scott Kessler. He was away from the scene for a while at the time of KO1. I heard Richie tried to reach out for his contact info. And he didn't resurface into the scene after KO1. Yeah, that was the cool thing about KO1, not many had advanced to where it is now, and KoK was still pretty fresh....it was fun being a star for the weekend and attending my first event and meeting everyone.

Now in 2013, it's a real competition. I'm surprised where it is now. I'm disappointed in hearing RTM's comment that maybe the game isn't as hard as he originally thought. Even though all tricks are streamed for everyone to see "what to do", but the game is still extremely hard to pull off the pressing techniques for 21 levels. But, it's still the perfect game for competition setting, especially for all-year open qualifications.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2013, 01:44:39 pm »
Honestly, I think it was a lot more meaningful to get a million up until 2012. Not just because so few had done it, but because there wasn't an army of people available to help with strategy and motivation. Now we have that, the Kong Offs to incentivize competition, training videos, a manual coming, etc. etc. Of course, having said that, most of the people who recently got a million were already working on it prior to that stuff. But it might start to get crazy over the next year or two. The million list might start looking like the kill screen list does now!

As for what Robert said, my feeling is that if you subjected all of these classic games to the same degree of competition and analysis that DK has been subjected to, then the perception of difficulty would go down for those games. It's easy to say that a game is hard when only 3 or 4 people are really pushing at it, and most CAG games are that way. I don't think Abdner Ashman would have the Ms. Pac Man record, for example, if there was a community of over a hundred people playing, literally around the clock, to beat it!

DK IS hard. It's incredibly hard! Can anybody say that they've played another video game that took this much time and dedication to master?

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2013, 01:52:13 pm »
Recently I was asked why I often position myself to the right of the bottom hammer when setting up for the grab.

The video features a very particular circumstance wherein I have recognized and exploited a specific fireball “sub-routine”. 

“Sub-routine my dick!” you say.  “Lexmark science!” you say. 

Indeed.   ;)

Two: the only risk associated with this tactic is in misreading the sub-routine; the sub-routine shown in these first two videos can be exploited 100% of the time.

Hmm...

Additionally, jumping fireballs shows everyone just how large a bulge you're sporting.  In the CAG world the importance of style points is often overlooked.

Aha!!   8)   

The moment you start believing the game is against you, the game will turn against you.

This is very true.  This game is very mentally challenging.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2013, 03:02:29 pm »
It's easy to say that a game is hard when only 3 or 4 people are really pushing at it, and most CAG games are that way. I don't think Abdner Ashman would have the Ms. Pac Man record, for example, if there was a community of over a hundred people playing, literally around the clock, to beat it!

One thing though.  Never underestimate the heart of a champion.  Would Abdner Ashman's current score be the world record score?  No, most likely not.  But I do think he would make a run at it, and I wouldn't write him off at getting a much higher score.

A good example of this is Mark Kiehl.  The man has had his battles with Steve Wiebe, and won, and then Billy Mitchell came at him, and he still came out on top, than I came at him on the MAME side, and he still came out on top, and than finally Mike Kasper came at him, and he crushed that score as well.

If you give a man a title, that man will on occasion do everything possible to keep that title.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener