Author Topic: VonBlogenstein  (Read 110110 times)

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: VonBlogenstein
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 05:07:30 pm »
03/26/13:  Grabbed a few easy 130K starts, but couldn't get anything going.  Game feels easy for me, to the point now that I just expect to get a big score every time I play, so long as I can maintain focus.  With exception given to levels 1-4, I just don't feel like the game can kill me anymore.  My deaths are all really stupid and avoidable.  For instance, I actually ran into Kong on the rivets today - boneheaded!  Also, still not feeling super awesome on the elevators, though I'm past concern over whatever points I'm losing there (over the course of a full game they might add up to 5K = I don't care).

I feel good and am not deterred in the slightest by my lack of deep games.  I just need to keep playing and I got this thing for sure.  This game is my bitch. 

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 06:39:16 pm »

Hey Ross,

For the past 2-4 weeks, I've missed most of your online sessions.  I haven't boycotted your channel; I just haven't been receiving the standard email alerts.  I verified my account notification settings, and even tried "unfollowing" and then "following" you again.  None of the troubleshooting steps have had any effect.

I managed to catch the last few levels of your Wildcard Rematch #2 final game, but only because I suspected that, sooner or later, you'd be playing that evening.   :)

I'm not sure exactly when the alerts dropped off, but the problem seems to have coincided with the appearance of the following article:

http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/943898-twitch-tv-and-justin-tv-are-now-separate-sites

I wonder if others are also experiencing this issue?

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 07:37:41 pm »
I think it's because it has a justin.tv url as opposed to a twitch one.  I think it doesn't show up in aurcade streams also?
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 06:02:15 pm »

Hey Ross,

For the past 2-4 weeks, I've missed most of your online sessions.  I haven't boycotted your channel; I just haven't been receiving the standard email alerts.  I verified my account notification settings, and even tried "unfollowing" and then "following" you again.  None of the troubleshooting steps have had any effect.

I managed to catch the last few levels of your Wildcard Rematch #2 final game, but only because I suspected that, sooner or later, you'd be playing that evening.   :)

I'm not sure exactly when the alerts dropped off, but the problem seems to have coincided with the appearance of the following article:

http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/943898-twitch-tv-and-justin-tv-are-now-separate-sites

I wonder if others are also experiencing this issue?

Ah ha!  Thank you Scott.  That notice you linked describes exactly the problem I encountered when trying to switch my stream back to Twitch.  I'm not sure how to resolve the issues with notifications and Aurcade.  Perhaps it's time I opened a new Twitch account.

UPDATE:
  I created a new Twitch account: http://www.twitch.tv/dwwnp  I switched some things around and now this new stream will be featured on Aurcade.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:16:55 pm by VON »
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer Blogger Wildcard Rematch Champion DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - MAME

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 10:11:18 pm »
04/02/13:  Just one of those nights.  The good news is, it can't get any worse.  I think in order to pull this thing off I'll need to take my first man through a lot more boards than I am now.  Next session I'm going to try and really focus on getting an early start.  I lose way too much focus and momentum when I waste a bunch of time dicking around on the early levels.  In all my sessions so far I haven't once been able to dial a game up early.  As I've stated before, I become more relaxed as the game progresses.  Relaxation helps keep me from making execution errors or second guessing my fireball reads.  Every time I lose an early man to some stupid mistake my chances of taking one deep drop dramatically.   

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 09:07:45 am »

UPDATE:
  I created a new Twitch account: http://www.twitch.tv/dwwnp  I switched some things around and now this new stream will be featured on Aurcade.

Nice.  I look forward to getting the streaming notifications once again.

Just curious, is "DWWNP" an acronym?  If so, do I even have a prayer of guessing it correctly?

My first thought was, "Debauchery?  Wild Women?  No Problem!"  (quickly dismissed)

Since then, the best I've come up with is, "Deranged Wildcard Winner Needs Points".

Any hints, before I fill a series of notebooks with other guesses?   :)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 02:52:24 am »
Sorry Scott,  I missed your last post.

Here's your hint: the new handle is spelled dwwnp, not DWWNP.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:58:07 am by VON »
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer Blogger Wildcard Rematch Champion DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - MAME

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 05:58:08 am »
Sorry Scott,  I missed your last post.

Here's your hint: the new handle is spelled dwwnp, not DWWNP.

Great hint.  I think I got it.

The lower case version, read upside down and backwards, is a partial representation of your Justin TV channel, while its "all caps" counterpart is not.

d w w n p  <=>  d u m m p

Thanks Ross.  It's not yet 9:00 AM here on the east coast, and I already feel as though I've accomplished something today.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2013, 12:18:06 am »
04/27/13:  Played on a cab tonight.

The Bad: 
1.) I struggled again to get out of the gates and eventually became so frustrated I just warped to level 5. 
2.) I still find playing on the cabinet frustrating and lost my last two lives at the hands of the controls.  The first, entirely my fault, when my hand just slipped off the controller and I got eaten by a fireball.  The second, out of my control, when I hit jump, didn't jump, and got steamrolled by a barrel.

To say I prefer playing Donkey Kong on MAME is a major understatement.  I liken Arcade Donkey Kong to playing ice hockey on roller skates.       

The Good:
1.) My climb finished at 620K on level 13 with almost enough pace to summit the mountain, despite having helicoptered into base camp. 
2.) If I keep at it, I might have a real chance at becoming the world's best roller skating ice hockey player.  Well, at least for a minute.   

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2013, 01:14:49 am »
To say I prefer playing Donkey Kong on MAME is a major understatement.  I liken Arcade Donkey Kong to playing ice hockey on roller skates.       

I feel the same way about Junior, but the opposite. I find myself feeling well in control on a cab, but am a butterfingered fool in MAME.

As for papa DK, arcade vs. MAME controls is a dead heat for me. No clear winner...
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2013, 05:34:42 pm »
05/02/13:  Round two on the cab over at the Kencade.

Tonight didn't go as well as the session from 04/27/13.  In fact, tonight's session was pretty trashy.

It was fun playing next to Mike though.  Hopefully we can start getting together more regularly and help keep each other motivated to qualify for the Kong Off 3.

I also picked up the footage from the 04/27/13 game because Ethan had told me there was a miraculous fireball escape on one of the barrel boards.  I made Ken dig up the footage not just because I wanted to masturbate while watching myself play, but also because I've been seriously considering assembling a new video - a fireball jumping video.

I'd love to assemble a sort of tribute video to all my fellow Kongers here at the DKForums.  I want to compile a video featuring the play of as many different Kong gamers as possible.  I think I can pull clips together by screen-capturing twitch archives, but if anyone has a more elegant solution I'm all ears.  If anyone just wants to send me flash recordings that would be great as well.

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 01:04:02 pm »
Sounds cool Ross. My stuck together firefox jump comes to mind :D
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2013, 12:54:21 am »
05/17/13:  Session #3 at the Kencade did not go well score wise, yet I may have made the biggest breakthrough in my Donkey Kong playing career...

Notes to Self:

Your lack of success in chasing down the Donkey Kong world records is 100% mental.  Stop getting bent out of shape after a stupid death you big pussy face; the game can hardly ever kill you anymore, so either you won't die, or you'll die stupidly.  Accept your deaths and move on - don't let one death turn into a meltdown.

Don't play if you aren't sufficiently rested.

You're good for maybe two starts, after which your spring vision becomes pretty shitty and you start to get cranky and impatient.  This also applies when you're going for 130K+ starts: if you can't get the ball rolling after a few restarts, just stop and come back to the game later.

Start exercising again.  You'll be mentally more well and your shoulders and neck won't bother you so much when you're playing on the cab.

Ken is a really good friend.  When you do get the DK score you're after, make sure he knows you could not have done it without his support.  In fact, be sure to thank the community as a whole, as you would have long ago lost interest and motivation without them.  At the end of the day, a world record on a video game doesn't mean anything, but the friends you've made along the way, they matter a great deal.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2013, 04:46:09 am »
I know you have the world record or nothing approach, but have you thought about toning your game down just a bit?  For instance in the wildcard matches you easily got close to 1 million on your first games to boot!

Perhaps you should try a 1.1 million pace.  I'll make a skating analogy.  I feel you are the skater who is trying to pull off a quadruple Lutz(1.2 million pace), but hasn't even really practiced the triple Lutz (1.1 million pace). 

I really don't think it would take much for you to get a 1.1 million game.  You probably could do it within a week.  But once you get the foundation in place for a 1.1 million game, you probably will be able to have a much higher shot at the record.

One last thought.  The best golf players are not the ones who hit the ball the longest.  The best tennis players are not the ones who hit it the hardest.  If so Andy Roddick would have won at least 10 majors.  And finally the best MMA athletes are not the ones with the best physique.

"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2013, 06:06:04 am »
Ken is a really good friend.  When you do get the DK score you're after, make sure he knows you could not have done it without his support.  In fact, be sure to thank the community as a whole, as you would have long ago lost interest and motivation without them.  At the end of the day, a world record on a video game doesn't mean anything, but the friends you've made along the way, they matter a great deal.

A fitting punctuation to your 100th post.  I don't remember what I had to say when I hit the century mark, but I'm certain it was something far less meaningful.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)