Author Topic: VonBlogenstein  (Read 110143 times)

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: VonBlogenstein
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 06:15:19 pm »
03/03/13:  No improvement.  Still can't see the springs properly and lost two lives on the elevators during my only game for the day.  Sigh...I realize this hang-up is temporary, but man is it annoying.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 06:25:25 pm »
I am curious to know more specifically about the problem you are having with the springs.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 06:56:04 pm »
It has to do with recognizing the different spring trajectories with peripheral vision.  When I'm playing the game regularly I don't really have to look at the springs at all to know how to maneuver through the screen.  Presently I have to focus too much on which spring is which and I'm second guessing myself.  This is a problem that has also come up every time I transition from MAME to a cab.  There is a change in perspective when switching from MAME to a cab that disrupts my ability to see the springs.

I can't think how to explain it much more - it's a strange familiarity issue that has always and only applied to the springs.  Have any other players had this experience?   

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 07:02:10 pm »
I can't think how to explain it much more - it's a strange familiarity issue that has always and only applied to the springs.  Have any other players had this experience?   

This also happens to me. Before the Kong Off 1, I was playing very well on the spring, but when I started playing on an actual machine at the Kong Off, I had difficulties, but pretty much only on the elevator screen. I had a lot of pain to finish this screen and wasted a lot of points due to waiting, again and again.

This might be because of the size of the screen compared to MAME (perspective also).

And also, I've played on a machine for a long time, but recently, I went back on MAME, and at the beginning, I had some trouble with the Elevator, once again, for the same reason (the change in perspective/size of the screen). It only affect the spring level.

But right now, I'm okay with this screen on MAME. I don't exactly know what's happening to us, Ross.... I'm scared  :'(.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 07:37:36 pm »
Oh, I didn't realize you (Ross) had switched to a cab. In that case, say no more! I definitely get it.

Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 08:17:08 pm »
I think he means he switched to a cab during the KO2. Recently, Ross hasn't been playing much, so (other than the first Wildcard rematch) the KO2 was probably his last time really playing DK. Now he has been playing on mame.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 08:20:21 pm »
Aha! OK. And come to think of it, I seem to remember him dying on a spring during the wildcard rematch.

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 10:36:57 pm »
Actually I just meant that I have not played DK seriously on any platform in a very long time.  I was not able to practice for either Kong-Off because of a seriously busy school schedule. 

While I have certainly had enough 5-6 hour stretches of free-time to play over the past 3 years, that free-time has been delivered sporadically.  Additionally, "free-time" does not always mean "Donkey Kong time", and "Donkey Kong time" does not always mean "relaxing time".  In the past, after one of the miserable, stressful, and sleep-deprived weeks that have come with going back to school, I did not run home to get doughnut-holed by Kong.  Budat shibout 2change!

Tonight, in fact, I blew off homework to play DK.  I have an enormous amount of work to get done by week's end, and not doing it is stupid.  It is not going to disappear, and I will probably have to pull an all-nighter, but fuck it.  I want to play Donkey Kong.  I am tired of not playing.  School is almost over, I am crushing my classes this term, I am going to get a good internship, and a job, and be able to support the people in my life who need my support - things are going to be OK, and now it is time to take care of myself.

03/04/13:  Things are feeling better with each day.  Unfortunately the DK gods did not see fit to let me get a big one going today, but such is life.  The world keeps on spinning, and unless everyone in China and India decides to jump up and down at the same time, it will still be spinning at week's end when I can realistically play again.

In the meantime, enjoy the nuances of the "juice box" rivet pattern, as named so by Scooterjay.  The "Juice Box": guaranteed 9 times out of 10 to squirt all over your face when you try to open it.  Do not show Allen this video.

"juice Box"

P.S. I tried to embed the actual video, but could not get it figured.  I then switched to just providing the link, yet still my stream is embedded?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:49:55 pm by VON »
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer Blogger Wildcard Rematch Champion Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 01:29:01 am »
Very nice, Ross.  I'll take 10,500 on a Level 3 rivet screen whenever it gets tossed my way.

I had to visit your channel to play the video; the embedded version wouldn't work for me.

I'm using Google Chrome.  I'm curious to see if other members have success with a different browser.

EDIT:  Using Internet Explorer 9, I get "treated" to a 30 second ad, but that's about it.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:46:48 am by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 09:28:49 am »
Nice Ross! :D

One of the forum modifications I'm using is an auto-imbedder and it tries to imbed any Justin.tv link but for some reason it doesn't handle archived videos properly. I disabled the plug-in for Justin.tv and at least the link works now.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 10:09:27 am »
Yeah buddy, it's the return of Ross! It's ON!
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 04:12:42 pm »
Who coined the terms "weave" and "star" pattern?  The first time I heard it used was by Ross.  Can someone confirm or deny this?

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 04:56:46 pm »
I first heard the term "star" pattern from Dwayne Richard, but it was over a phone conversation and I'm not entirely sure I heard him right.  I couldn't quite figure why it would be called such, as it certainly didn't draw out a star shape, but perhaps he only meant it was THE pattern, the one everyone and their momma used, the "star" pattern.  Thing was, I didn't play that way.  I taught myself to play the rivets as I mostly do now, with the "weave", and to this day I stand by it as the superior approach for the majority of rivet screen fireball spawning scenarios.  Later on, when I was writing a bunch of junk in the "DK Million Point March" thread over at old TG, I needed a way to easily communicate about the various rivet approaches whilst avoiding any ambiguity.  The "star" pattern could simply be called the "two hammer approach", and the "weave" the "single hammer approach", but readers of the million point march thread specifically asked me to illustrate clearly what I had tried to describe in words.  And so, I threw together some diagrams on Microsoft Paint, named the two primary patterns so there would no longer be any confusion, and the rest is the rest. 

Some time after officially giving a name to each of the primary patterns, I put together a youtube video showcasing 5 or 6 different approaches, including a no hammer approach and in fact, the "reverse weave" pattern demonstrated in the "juice box" video.  The "juice box" name and video is just for yucks.  I was just a bit shocked by how well that rivet came together, despite having junked it up right from the get go.  I said the next person to say something in the chat could name the pattern, and that person was Scooterjay, with his rather catchy, albeit silly name.  Obviously the pattern is just a "reverse weave" and obviously it is not in any way reliable.     

Actually, now that I think about it, wouldn't it make more sense that Dwayne said "start" pattern.  This was back in 2007 when I was a total rookie on the scene and I guess I just assumed "star" was what the pros called it.  I suppose when drawing a star most people start at the bottom left, go up, down, and then back through the middle, but that is a stretch.  It wasn't until the "DK Million Point March" thread that I realized I was the only ding-dong using the term "star". 

If indeed I just misheard Dwayne I guess that makes a decent origin story.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:03:46 pm by VON »
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer Blogger Wildcard Rematch Champion Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 01:48:08 pm »
Cool story Ross! I think, if I remember correctly, it is called the Ziggurat Pattern in Steve Sander's DK manual and also in 'How to Win at Donkey Kong' (which would be good sources from players bitd) -which actually makes a lot of sense.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 12:34:54 pm »
the transition from mame to cab on donkey kong was rough for that. You can adjust the monitor size Von have you tried that at all?
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer