Author Topic: Dig Dug score  (Read 10259 times)

Offline D.B. Cooper

• Awards
Dig Dug score
« on: April 11, 2014, 02:08:24 pm »
Sorry for the sideways picture.  I don't know how to fix it.  Anyways, does anyone know how this score might have happened?  I can beat that score but not in just one round.  This picture was taken today at the Coin Jam.  I've never seen anything like this.
Dick Moreland
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
Re: Dig Dug score
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 02:25:38 pm »
That's actually round 101 or 201 The round counter resets after stage 99. First stage 0 for stage 100 then 1 for 101 same for 200 and 201 so this is round 101 or 201.
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline D.B. Cooper

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:36:15 pm »
I thought about that but I'm not sure you can get to round 101 without scoring more than this even if you killed every monster for the least amount of points.  Even if possible, it would be very difficult and then you have to ask the question why.  I'm not an expert on the game but if I played 100 rounds my score would be over a million.  A couple of weeks ago on this very machine I scored somewhere in the 300K's and I think I played 27 rounds.  I'm still scratching my head on this one.
Dick Moreland

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 08:43:55 pm »
You can def score as low as 1.3m at wave 101. By comparison my best is right at 2m at 101.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 10:43:26 pm »
Sorry for the sideways picture.  I don't know how to fix it.

I can help with the image.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

DiggingInNY

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 04:04:20 am »
That would probably be Round 201. Round 101 would be displayed as A1.

DiggingInNY

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 04:10:37 am »
It is also possible that the round number could be a glitch. The high score board on the Dig Dug machine at my arcade has 5 999,990 games that I did and for the first place score, it shows Round 0, which normally would be Round 200 or a kill screen but I know that I did that score in 50 something rounds.

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 04:31:10 am »
The score would be pathetically low with 3,3M in round 201 and way too high with 4,3M in 201 so Im sure it's round 101.

Like you say the round number often shows wrong and most probably its only a glitch here on the pic.

Oh btw does anyone know if there is a no killscreen rom for marathon play without the slow down bugs ?

I would really love to go for the max points in marathon Dig Dug on the fast romset cause I want not suffer on deadly boredom aka slow levels especially not in a marathon game  ROFL
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 08:23:41 am »
The score would be pathetically low with 3,3M in round 201 and way too high with 4,3M in 201 so Im sure it's round 101.

Like you say the round number often shows wrong and most probably its only a glitch here on the pic.

Oh btw does anyone know if there is a no killscreen rom for marathon play without the slow down bugs ?

I would really love to go for the max points in marathon Dig Dug on the fast romset cause I want not suffer on deadly boredom aka slow levels especially not in a marathon game  ROFL

Quote from: Don Hodges
As it turns out, at least one of the various versions of Dig Dug have a built in fix.  According to the MAME source code project:  http://mamedev.org/source/src/mame/drivers/galaga.c.html

"digdugat" [the Atari version] is almost identical to "digdug" [the Namco version] (apart from the Atari gfx/copyright changes), but there are three added instructions in the CPU0 program that change the code alignment. The change eliminates the "kill screen" at round 256 by making the round number roll over to 156, and hides the rollover from the player by only ever displaying the lower two digits of the round number. Interestingly, "digdug" actually contains all the code to implement the rollover (at $0018-$0026) but just doesn't call it, implying that Namco deliberately chose to keep the kill screen in this version.

Interestingly enough Mike Kasper and I are going to be doing a head to head no killscreen run this Monday. Wanna make it a three way???

-Ken

Offline D.B. Cooper

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 02:47:14 pm »
I've never played past round 100 or rolled the score.  For some reason I was thinking when the score rolled it left all 9's as the top score.  Guess not.

So, the consensus is that both the score and the round counter have been rolled but it's impossible to know how many times?
Dick Moreland

DiggingInNY

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 03:18:27 pm »
It is possible that the score was not rolled, because the player used continues. As for the round, it could be round 201 or a glitch. I know after Round 99, Rounds 100-159 would be displayed on the high score table as A0 to F9, beyond that, I am not sure.

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 08:19:19 am »

Interestingly enough Mike Kasper and I are going to be doing a head to head no killscreen run this Monday. Wanna make it a three way???

-Ken

So rev2 from atari has no slowdown bugs and killscreen that's great news  ;D

Always wanted to test out how high I can score on marathon and 5 man track on a non killscreen version so this will be something for me in the near future.

I will for sure watch you guys steam cause I love Dig Dug but for now I better don't play against you haha

My last serious Dig Dug game was almost 2 years ago. I would at least need 1-2 weeks to get back to my old form but if you plan to do something like that again in the near future I'm definitely interested  :)

As I stopped I had a round average of 50-80 per life but haven't really bothered to go for the 5 life track record cause TG only tracked the slowmo set which I hate with passion haha

So what do you guys think is a good score for marathon just curious ?

I have no idea so it will be quite interesting for me to see how high you guys can score on a non KS version to have something to aim for in the near future.

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 05:54:46 pm »
I believe I have the highest modern era score on the no rev 2 roms at 7.5 million. I did it at Richies arcade in like 2010. I quit the game with several men left. There are some scores from the 80's in the 14.5m range that were dismissed because of the killscreen but I believe they may be legit.

I think I can do 20m if I set my heart on it. I think I'm shooting to beat 10m Monday.

-Ken

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 03:56:08 am »
To be honest I don't care much about those *unofficial* early 80's scores. Not that I would doubt that those scores wouldn't be possible it's just the fact that many of those scores are BS like we all know.

Lots of marathon scores from the 80's are BS if you ask me. The arcades had not opened 2-3 days BITD so it's pretty much pointless.

10M is a good start and I bet you will score that with ease :)

About the max dunno 20M could be quite high. I mean it's one thing to play 4M+ with just 5 lives but to do that 5 times in a row in the same game is something different.

20M are for sure possible but only with lots of practice and in a perfect run.

Personally I'm most interesed in the TGTS track. Now without a KS it will be very challenging to push the WR to the next level  8)

Anyway good luck for today  <pacman>

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 07:52:40 am »
If the dirt was not worth any points the killscreen roms would be far and away my favorite. I know the slow boards can be boring but figuring out how to score points on them was a great challenge and basically its 3 games in 1.

Doing stuff like this to score 25k on a round where you used to score 12k was cool.

http://www.twitch.tv/kencade/c/2072566

You can watch both streams HERE

-Ken
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:13:44 am by Scoundrl »