Author Topic: What I think is the max score possible for Donkey Kong Junior  (Read 10430 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
What I think is the max score possible for Donkey Kong Junior
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:31:55 am »
I think that score is 1.45 million.  Now for that to happen everything has to be going great for the person, and they are taking a lot of chances on the Chain Stage with it paying off, and they are they are using the Saglio trick for the second fruit, and getting some really good smashes.  They also have every single man to sacrifice for the last hide out stage, and get 100,000 points for the last 3 men instead of the usual 90,000 points that one gets for 3 men.   

This is my guesstimate at least.  It would be interesting to see what others have to say on this matter.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Simpsons99

Re: What I think is the max score possible for Donkey Kong Junior
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:12:14 am »
Saglio trick? huh what?

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 04:12:28 pm »
Saglio trick? huh what?

Also called the "Dean Move"...very simple to do.  Surprised you didn't know that.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:18:23 pm by syscrusher »
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Simpsons99

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 05:32:30 pm »
thought he was talking about something different..  Dean move would be the 3 Fruit in  Mario's Hideout

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:17:00 pm »
I agree with George's assessment of the thoeretical high score possible. If everything went right and you had 3 lives to sac off I'm thinking 1.45 can be reached. Realistically though I think a score in the 1.410 - 1.420m range is doable.

There seems to be some confusion in this thread as to what the "Dean Move" or "Saglio Trick" is. I always thought it referenced the point-pressing technique he discovered where you position Junior between the 1st and 2nd spark-spawning chutes, and by dipping Junior a bit in to the path of the 2nd chute when a spark is descending, then jumping away and also into a descending spark from the 1st chute pointing off of both of them for the 300. The 3-spark smash is really nothing new, but it is definitely necessary if you are going for max points. Now, the 2nd apple glitch I first read about in an '83 Joystik magazine quoted here:

"If after jumping to get the apple you push the joystick to the right while Junior is in the air, you will receive 1200 points for the first Spark instead of just 800."
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:26:48 pm »
I agree with George's assessment of the thoeretical high score possible. If everything went right and you had 3 lives to sac off I'm thinking 1.45 can be reached. Realistically though I think a score in the 1.410 - 1.420m range is doable.

There seems to be some confusion in this thread as to what the "Dean Move" or "Saglio Trick" is. I always thought it referenced the point-pressing technique he discovered where you position Junior between the 1st and 2nd spark-spawning chutes, and by dipping Junior a bit in to the path of the 2nd chute when a spark is descending, then jumping away and also into a descending spark from the 1st chute pointing off of both of them for the 300. The 3-spark smash is really nothing new, but it is definitely necessary if you are going for max points. Now, the 2nd apple glitch I first read about in an '83 Joystik magazine quoted here:

"If after jumping to get the apple you push the joystick to the right while Junior is in the air, you will receive 1200 points for the first Spark instead of just 800."

No I invented a new term for Dean.  He already has the Dean Move jumping backward between the 1st and 2nd spark jump, but he also I think created the move on the Jungle Stage where he hit the apple from the right side instead of the usual left side in order for a chance to get a 3 or 4 red snapper smash.  Dean's move is the hide out stage.  The Saglio move is from the Jungle stage.  That move is more of a gamble, but can net some good results if the odds are on your side.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 07:30:38 pm »
Maybe you guys should start a DKjr terms thread! ;)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:41:16 pm »
No I invented a new term for Dean.  He already has the Dean Move jumping backward between the 1st and 2nd spark jump, but he also I think created the move on the Jungle Stage where he hit the apple from the right side instead of the usual left side in order for a chance to get a 3 or 4 red snapper smash.  Dean's move is the hide out stage.  The Saglio move is from the Jungle stage.  That move is more of a gamble, but can net some good results if the odds are on your side.

Oh okay, I understand now. I'm not sure who exactly started that one. I saw Billy Mitchell doing this on his last 1.270m game, so no telling how long he had been doing it. Both he and Dean discovered it independently though, I'm sure.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 07:58:33 pm »
yeah i do that move from time to time ..  Works best after Level 4 when the snappers start respawning .

I think i started doing it like 2 years ago?

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 07:59:24 pm »
Here is a video of Billy's tape where he is doing this trick on the Vine stage. If you look closely, you can see him pop the apple from the right in the first 20 seconds of the video.

Billy Mitchell Makes Announcement

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 08:58:11 pm »
Interesting what he says in Mark's video, about the "audience" for those record-breaking games, when the actual post-gameplay clips from the day show no audience whatsoever. But hey, Todd Rogers is there!

No footage of such an historic game? No high score table? Not even a shot of the screen powered on?

On this one either?

Funny, I don't see "hundreds" of people with cell phones, or hear any hooting and hollering...
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Simpsons99

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 08:58:49 pm »
Kinda hard to see anything on that video

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 09:01:16 pm »
If I definitely agree to say that my 1,135,900 score at the upstair floor at the 1up isn't a real live score, then Billy's score is even farther to be a live score.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer