Author Topic: Battle of the Arcades 4 - Game suggestions for 2015  (Read 25135 times)

Offline Fly

• Awards
Re: Battle of the Arcades 4 - Game suggestions for 2015
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 04:52:34 pm »
I would be down with these 2 returning to the line up.

Pole Position ( I had fun learning this one at Kens. I never played it before but now I like it)

Robotron ( I still suck at it but it's always a good one to have)

Other stuff I think would be cool.

Punchout!!

Super Punchout!!

Spy Hunter

Hyper Sports

Track & Field

Strength & Skill ( I doubt anyone will ever find this one)

Asteroids Deluxe

Street Fighter 2

Galaga 88

R-Type

Gradius

Return of the Jedi

Road Blasters

Hector

Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline johnmcallister

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 06:27:30 pm »
Pinball wouldn't be that hard to do.  Whatttt

Yeah just came up with this idea.  Every team gets the same pin, set it up to 3 balls no extras, if it has a
tournament mode then set it.  Pick at random the team that is going to get the machine that all other
scores are based off. 
Team 1 avg score is 1mill
Team 2 avg score is 1.3 mill
Team 3 avg score is 800k
Team 4 avg score is 1.1 mill
Now find the multiplier that all other scores will be based off and then recalculate scores.
I hope this makes sense or someone that can understand  or has an idea of what I'm talking
about chime in and show how this might work.

Love the idea of a master list of games or pool of games to choose from.
If the teams get to be too many which would be a good thing, the games
being picked by each team would be as equal as possible, if there is an odd
amount then the teams with the higher ranking from previous years would
get fewer choices.

So looking forward to next year and that this is starting to take off and
get's better and better every year.

Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 08:06:24 pm »

I suggest

Donkey Kong 3 (That's not happening, but I feel like I am duty bound to always include it)  8)

Whtda.  It was in last weekend.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

lakeman421

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 11:48:42 pm »
DK3 in the event is enough to last 10 BOTA's  Kappa

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 12:44:49 pm »
You guys should rock some Tempest.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 02:05:00 pm »
If you want to introduce a pin, how about Baby Pac Man?

It's relatively common, would keep the Pac series going in the event, and since it's really a hybrid and not specifically pinball it might be more comfortable for those who aren't pinball players.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 12:50:22 am »
Pole Position and Robotron...
Seriously..

My gut reaction is to shun any repeat titles because I'm always in favor of promoting variety and getting away from the same 20 games in this hobby that people want to play all the time, but with 12 titles in BOTA it really isn't a problem to have, say, two titles that are repeats from the previous year.  If BOTA continues for several more years we'll get to a point where more and more titles will have to be repeats anyway.

I have a Robotron but would need to obtain and install the patched ROMS.  I have stock blue label ROMs now.  I don't have a Pole Position but could likely borrow one.

Nibbler.
ZooKeeper again.
5 man Asteroids.
Tempest.

If I wind up hosting you'll have to bring your Nibbler up here.  I used to have a nice Tempest and sold it, but I can borrow it back easily.  In fact, two big SMAC collectors told me tonight I can borrow whatever I need.

We also need to find a way to get a pinball involved. I know there are so many that its hard to find one title everyone has but lets try.

I think having a pin would be cool but...

i too would like to see a pinball. but making sure everyone was playing the same difficulty would be impossible. IE same flipper strength, bumper strength, tilt settings. height of leveling of machine etc.

^ this.  If all BOTA players were playing on the same machine it would be fair, but this is the pinball equivalent of leeching problems that we can't ensure are mitigated.  And I'm not sure how McAllister's suggestion on how to handle this would actually solve anything.  Each team would still be playing on a different machine with its own characteristics.

Joust - Tournament Settings
Lady Bug
Pac-Mania
R-Type
Tapper or Timber - 1 Hour limit

I heard Street Fighter II was mentioned as a possible candidate for this past competition, I would like to see Final Fight.

Joust is common.  Ladybug is on the 60-in-1, so easy to source that way.  Pac-Mania does not seem to be common and I don't know if I could source that one.  R-Type is pretty common in the Pacific Northwest and a friend of mine has one I can borrow.  Tapper I don't have but may be able to borrow.  Timber is harder to find but I may be able to borrow one of those too.

I am not a fan of player vs. player fighting games at all, and will be inclined to play those only once to submit a score for qualification.  I have no interest in playing these, ever.  Just my personal stance.

These are all interesting games except Bagman.  Including it would be a huge mistake.  Have you watched a video of "high level" Bagman play?  It makes paint drying look exciting.

That is an excellent point.  I really like Bagman even though I don't know how to play it at all, but in a high score contest with many world class CAG players it's predictable that everyone will learn the same leeching technique and an hour of everyone's time will be wasted.  It's a shame, because it's a cool game, but yeah, we should drop Bagman from consideration.

for racing game i would love to see turbo.   tutankham.   gorf.   also ok with asteroids 5 man.  pooyan and tempest.   congo bongo. mr do and scramble.

I can borrow a Turbo cabaret.  I have Tutankham.  Can likely borrow a Gorf but would have to ask around.  Can borrow Asteroids, Pooyan, and Tempest.  Have Congo BongoMr. Do! is on the 60-in-1 so that's covered.  Scramble I'd have to ask around; it's on the 60-in-1 but my multi cab does not have an 8-way stick.

I also think Crazy Climber would be a nice tourney game.

I do too, but mine will be gone well before the next BOTA and I likely won't be able to borrow it back.  Depends on who buys it.  I have two potential buyers at the moment.

I guess you guys have to decide who is hosting this year prior to us coming up with a master list first.

That we do.  Adding a twist to things is that we may actually have another site in the Seattle area whether or not I end up hosting next year.  A major collector in SMAC is in the process of opening an arcade in Monroe, WA and he told me tonight he would love to host.  If the KenCade team stays in Hillsboro then David could host a Seattle-area team and other SMAC members who would like to participate could make their own team.  And this could happen even if the KenCade crew plays at my place next year.  David will have broadband internet at his arcade and I told him the basic game and streaming requirements.  He's a Microsoft techie so he didn't flinch at anything.

Every year there has been a Pac Man game and I'd like to see that trend continue even though I'm not much of a Pac guy.  Possibly Pac Plus or have a previous title (Turbo of course).  I'd also like to see Crazy Climber or Gyruss in it.

Pac-Man Plus is on the 60-in-1 and I think Pac-Man Plus Turbo is as well?  I have a Gyruss.

Moon Patrol
Punch Out!!
Timber
Donkey Kong 3 (That's not happening, but I feel like I am duty bound to always include it)  8)
Track and Field

I have Moon Patrol and Punch-Out!! and these are pretty easy to source for other sites.  Timber will be harder.  DK3 will probably not repeat for a while since Pole Position and Robotron are getting so many votes for repeat.  Track & Field was in the first BOTA.  I don't know of anyone in SMAC who has one but could probably find one.  I think Ken still has his.

Super Punchout!!
Spy Hunter
Hyper Sports
Strength & Skill ( I doubt anyone will ever find this one)
Asteroids Deluxe
Street Fighter 2
Galaga 88
R-Type
Gradius
Return of the Jedi
Road Blasters

I have Super Punch-Out!! but it is kinda rare, so duplicating this at all sites will be tough.  Spy Hunter isn't uncommon but they can be problematic to get running 100%.  I can probably borrow one, and Ken still has one I believe.  Hyper Sports was in BOTA2, so not likely to repeat for a while.  Strength & Skill I've never even heard of.  Asteroids Deluxe I can borrow.  Street Fighter II I could probably borrow if I really had to.  Galaga '88 and R-Type aren't exactly common but they aren't rare either, and I can borrow both.  I have RoadBlasters but would need to borrow a better control panel.  Gradius and Return of the Jedi would be tough to source in the Pacific Northwest.

You guys should rock some Tempest.

We can do that.  I had a beautiful Tempest that I sold to a friend and he said I can borrow it anytime.

If you want to introduce a pin, how about Baby Pac Man?  It's relatively common, would keep the Pac series going in the event, and since it's really a hybrid and not specifically pinball it might be more comfortable for those who aren't pinball players.

Hmm.  Not a bad idea.  Baby Pac-Man isn't exactly rare, but they are hard to get into fighting shape.  I could likely source one of these if needed.

So that's the status of all the titles suggested so far if I were to host the KenCade team next year.  The "other" Seattle team that could be formed would play at a new arcade in Monroe, WA, and I wouldn't bet against this guy being able to put together the 12 titles that are ultimately selected.
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 02:24:48 pm »

I suggest

Whtda.  It was in last weekend.

Yep, and glad it was.    It could be in the last 5 straight, and I would still suggest it only because the game has been good to me, and want to keep those good DK3 vibes. :)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline bestcellar

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 01:15:34 pm »
Hey all, from the Midwest team/GGA perspective, the one big problem with our game selection for BOTA3 was that when we were asked to select games for this year, the only reference point we had for games that were common to all three places was the list of games at each arcade on Hernly's site Aurcade.com.

With GGA, this wasn't a problem - Doc updates his games list constantly on aurcade, and obviously there are 400+ games at Galloping Ghost. There's only a fraction of the games at the other two arcades on the site, and when we narrowed down the list to games that are common to all three arcades, it became a ridiculously low number to choose from. I think with more planning, we could have all three arcades acquire a more diverse array of titles. I'd love to see a more updated list of what all three arcades have in common.

Also, I know tournament is typically older classics, but I would personally love to see a few more 1985-1992 titles added to the mix, as there are many, many great games from that era that are super hard and would add a lot more personality to the mix. A few suggestions:

Terra Cresta (1985)
Haunted Castle (1986)
Jackal (1986)
Dragon Spirit (1987 - with dip switch settings to disable eggs)
Aero Fighters (1992 - on the japanese "Sonic Wings" settings)

Member for 9 Years

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 05:54:07 pm »
I've heard some kneejerk reactions to Street Fighter II brought up in the past. I've played a lot of games I thought were dogshit in tournament and never complained about them before, so I don't really know what the problem is here. Try something different. Basically every version of the game is common as hell and it would be a unique score game.
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 10:39:43 pm »

Offline SanTe

• Awards

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 12:54:22 pm »
Is BotA actually happening?
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member

Offline SanTe

• Awards

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 06:19:32 am »
I talked to Richie last week and he suggested Aug 29 and Aug 30.  I told Ken about it and he said he was going to make it work and talk with the other folks (GGA, Cali, etc) after he got back from vacation.  Richie's new location is bigger and has more games so we have a good amount of wiggle room on our side I reckon.  Going off memory, this is what RK has on site currently.

Crazy Climber
Gorf (easy romset)
Wizard of Wor
Berzerk (fast bullets)
Zaxxon
Pengo (harder boardset)
Defender
Road Runner
Stocker
Return of the Jedi
Tutankham
Bagman
Donkey Kong
Cosmic Avenger
R-Type
Tapper
Gravitar
Rolling Thunder
Tron
Discs of Tron
Popeye
Outrun
Pro Monaco GP
Mario Bros
Galaga
Pole Position
Zoo Keeper
Star Wars
Alpine Ski
Asteroids
Tempest
Snake Pit
Centipede
Millipede (board issues)
Q*Bert
Donkey Kong Jr
Dragon's Lair (original)
Scramble (fast fuel)
Ms. Pacman (normal speed)
Pacman (normal speed)
Kangaroo
Stompin
Space Invaders
Granny and the Gators
Baby Pacman
Robotron
Space Fury
Pleiades
Missile Command
Track and Field
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:22:04 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener