Author Topic: Battle of the Arcades 4 - Game suggestions for 2015  (Read 25132 times)

Offline SanTe

• Awards
Battle of the Arcades 4 - Game suggestions for 2015
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:51:02 pm »
Let's have a very informal discussion about games for next year's BOTA, just to see what people would like to see.  Now that we've had three BOTA events we're gonna have to think outside the box a bit to keep things fresh.  I know there are about 20 games that are huge favorites of most in the hobby, but BOTA will get stale if we play the same games every year.

I'll start...

Arabian - Underplayed and underappreciated gem.  Make sure it is the Atari ROM set that was used in the arcade version in the U.S. and not the easier Sun Electronics version.  That way people can compare their scores to what's on the books for this arcade title.

Black Widow - Let's give Robotron a breather for a year and bring in this alternate, dual 8-way scorcher.  I think it would be a great BOTA game.  Very tough and most games won't last terribly long.  I'd love to see someone do an hour on this one but I seriously doubt it will happen.

Bagman - We need at least one game that kicks people in the nuts.  Stern ROM set only, not the Valadon Automation one.  Stern set was used in U.S. arcade version.

Star Wars - Can't believe we've gone three BOTAs and haven't had this one yet.  Empire Strikes Back would be a great BOTA game but we should save that one for a future BOTA and do Star Wars first.

Krull - Underappreciated dual 8-way game.  Would take some discussion about how to define and enforce straight-up play, as there are a few different leeching possibilities here and no time limit.  Also, may be hard for all sites to source, and it is not on any xx-in-1.

OutRun - We need a driving game and we've already had Pole Position twice and Pole Position II once.  Time to give this classic its due.  Perfect contest game, as ties in scores will be non-existent and the longest game will be maybe 6-1/2 minutes max.  Also, it's a fairly common cab.

Punch-Out!! - One hour time limit.  Super Punch-Out!! would be even better, but it's fairly hard to come by compared to Punch-Out!!

Tutankham - Stern ROM set that was used in the U.S. arcade version.  Fairly tough game so I'd expect only a few really high scores.

Congo Bongo - One hour time limit since this is patternable, but with only four lives consistency will be rewarded.  We need a DK-like platformer but don't need any more of the DK series for a while.  And we need more bitching about isometric 3D.  :)  It's on the 60-in-1 but you'd need an 8-way stick.  I've tried playing this on my 60-in-1 cab with a 4-way and it's awkward to say the least.  I do own a dedicated Congo Bongo now.

Ladybug - Underrated and fun game, IMO.  It's on the 60-in-1.

Pooyan - Arcade cabs are fairly rare but it's on the 60-in-1.  A guy in my local collectors' group owns a dedicated one.

Mr. Do! - Dig Dug alternative that is on the 60-in-1.

So for those paying attention, yes, these are all titles I have in my home arcade.  There is a slight possibility I will be hosting the Pacific Northwest team next year, so this is my wish list based on what I can easily provide.  I may be able to borrow titles from my local collectors' group (SMAC).  That discussion is for later if it comes to pass.

I want to hear other people's suggestions.  Keep in mind that BOTA rules currently state that at least 8 of the 12 games must be dedicated PCBs, while the remaining 4 can be made up of MAME cabs or xx-in-1 cabs.
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Battle of the Arcades 4 - Game suggestions for 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 11:38:22 pm »
Pole Position and Robotron...

Seriously..

Nibbler.

ZooKeeper again.

5 man Asteroids.

Tempest.

Chris's selections are good especially IMO

Punch out

Arabian

Bagman

Pooyan

We also need to find a way to get a pinball involved. I know there are so many that its hard to find one title everyone has but lets try.

-Ken
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:40:12 pm by Scoundrl »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 04:18:27 am »
I like the format that each team gets 4 selections.  (Or I guess less if more teams join this year).  Makes it more strategic.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline D.B. Cooper

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:27:23 am »
I second Out Run.  Hang On could be another option.  Both great racing games.

Asteroids 5 man would be cool but could also just let people do an hour or do Asteroids Deluxe.

This will come as no surprise but I'd like to get Timber in the contest as it's the only other game besides Asteroids I can do an hour on.  I have a cabinet I'd let our team borrow and I'm thinking both Richie and GG both have this game as well.

Spy Hunter - Maybe difficult for everyone to find a working cab but what an awesome game.

Gyruss - Galaga's been done why not some Gyruss?

I also like the idea of adding a pinball game.  Video Pinball is probably too hard to find but I'd be down for that game.

That's all I got.
Dick Moreland

Online TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 10:37:39 am »
Looking at your Aurcade list Chris, not sure how up to date it is but just going off that....

Crazy Climber
(TGTS) Star Wars
(TGTS) Gyruss
(TGTS) Joust
Jungle King
Out Run
Punch Out
Qix
Marble Madness
Tutankham

All seem like reasonably common enough games to get that we haven't used yet that would fit a tourney with some tweaking where necessary.

Congo Bongo, Ladybug, Mr. Do and Pooyan are good tourney games I think too.

Also some not mentioned like (TGTS) Defender, Berzerk, Gorf/Scramble (Romset issues), Tron, Asteroids are popular games we haven't seen yet.

Some of the other ones mentioned before either have severe leeching issues (Krull), are too difficult to find (Black Widow and Krull) or have severe romset variations that can cause drastic differences/problems (Arabian and Bagman).

Overall I think it's a pretty solid mix though so far.  I'm guessing though that we'll have another entry next year in Florida that would probably want Mario Bros, Ms. Pac Turbo and another game as their 3 in the mix.   ;D

I think a good way to do it is to come up with as big a master list as possible of choices that can accomodate all the arcades and then have each team choose 3 or 4 of them.  That always seemed like the most reasonable approach.  Maybe only allow for 1 repeat game at most or something along those lines (although that really shouldn't be necessary at all since we have a lot of games still reasonably common we have never used).  I like the aspect of the teams each picking games I think it adds some intrigue rather than just an overall voting box or something. 

Like in sports, have a draft date for picking the games off that master list and the last place team from the prior year gets to pick their 3 or 4 games last or something like that.  With 4 out of 12 allowing for emulation, this should widen the list even further to where each team can pick sort of a wild card game as long as the controls aren't custom.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:15:06 am by pwnasaurus »
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 11:27:50 am »
I like that idea a lot. Build a master list of games we can pick from and then choose. You only get to have 1 title that has been in the previous 3 BOTA.

TGTS Gyruss would be cool as it keeps that from a marathon game.
TGTS Joust is another that would be cool but i sorta suck at this game :D
Crazy Climber - Wht Da? Haha
Jungle King - Yeah i like this just never got to far in the game.
Out Run - Definetly!
Punch Out - Like the game hard to get past even the 2nd Sandman.
Qix - Wow nice oldie..
Marble Madness!!!! - Yes!
Tutankham - Never played much but sure why not.

Black Widow could be cool and Krull even but the leeching aspects do make it hard especially with all the variations. Even when you think you have it setup right you dont as in our case with Rally-X. Also should be some coordination on who has what exactly and where it will be played on (Original Arcade, xx-in-1, Mame).

Dan
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

DiggingInNY

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 12:14:32 pm »
With more teams likely to participate next year, it would be a safe bet to use games that are fairly common, though there are hard to find games that I enjoy. Here are a few titles that I would like to put out there. Some of these have been mentioned. Let me know if some of these fall under the hard to find category.

Joust - Tournament Settings
Lady Bug
Pac-Mania
R-Type
Tapper or Timber - 1 Hour limit

I heard Street Fighter II was mentioned as a possible candidate for this past competition, I would like to see Final Fight.

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 12:19:22 pm »
I also like the idea of a narrowed list that gets final votes from each arcade.  We may also want to keep in mind some 90s games, I'm thinking of the GGA guys who may want fighting games, etc.  One of the great things about BotA is that we are forced to learn new games that we wouldn't normally play (for me that means fighting games...).  I'm a classic player and prefer 80s games, but I'm willing to branch out.  It's great that the discussion is starting this far in advance, even not having the games chosen, we can at least practice a little bit casually on the "possible" games.   Kappa
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 08:56:04 pm »
Looking at your Aurcade list Chris, not sure how up to date it is but just going off that....

Crazy Climber

In the process of being sold, along with my Elevator Action and Quantum.

Some of the other ones mentioned before either have severe leeching issues (Krull), are too difficult to find (Black Widow and Krull) or have severe romset variations that can cause drastic differences/problems (Arabian and Bagman).

Agree about Krull; probably more trouble than we need.

Black Widow is not that hard to find, especially out east.  Tougher to come by in the Pacific Northwest and I already have one.

There are no ROM set issues with Arabian and Bagman.  DK has a shit ton of ROM sets too but somehow that isn't a problem.  I mentioned it only because MAME is allowed in BOTA and MAME includes the original versions that were released only overseas.  It is as simple as specifying the Atari ROM set for Arabian and the Stern ROM set for Bagman, for those who need to use MAME for the event and/or for practice.

Regarding a master list of games that would likely be available at each location, I agree that would help a lot.  Participating teams and locations would need to be solidified first.  Nothing has been decided yet for the PNW team's location.  Ken has told me he is not inclined to host next year and was open to my hosting.  If Ken changes his mind I'm totally fine with that, as Ken's setup is awesome for both technical and social reasons.  Also, about 80-85% of our team in any given year lives in the Portland area.  Getting that many to come to Seattle for a weekend may prove harder than getting McAllister, Perry, and me to drive down there.

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 09:49:13 pm »
Pole Position and Robotron...

Seriously..

Nibbler.

ZooKeeper again.

5 man Asteroids.

Tempest.

Chris's selections are good especially IMO

Punch out

Arabian

Bagman

Pooyan

-Ken
These are all interesting games except Bagman.  Including it would be a huge mistake.  Have you watched a video of "high level" Bagman play?  It makes paint drying look exciting.

-George
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline kalel

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 11:44:14 pm »
joust 5 man.   for  racing game i would love to see turbo.   tutankham.   gorf.   pac mania. . ( i think its called pacmania. its the one where pacman jumps). i too would like to see a pinball. but making sure everyone was playing the same difficulty would be impossible. IE same flipper strength, bumper strength, tilt settings. height of leveling of machine etc. but if you were to do a pinball i say eight ball deluxe :)
   these i prefer. also ok with asteroids 5 man.   punchout 1 hr.  and pooyan and tempest.   congo bongo. mr do . and scramble.  man i love all of these now that i think about it LOL
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 11:51:24 pm »
Eight Ball Deluxe is my favorite pinball, love it. Joust 5-man also a great choice and I also think Crazy Climber would be a nice tourney game. Actually there are a lot of great suggestions here.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 09:56:41 am »
Kasper is right on the pinball, I forgot to take all that into account.  George went into more of why Bagman is not a good choice with some severe leeching issues that I didn't really feel like delving into.  I guess you guys have to decide who is hosting this year prior to us coming up with a master list first.

lakeman421

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 10:36:16 am »
Every year there has been a Pac Man game and I'd like to see that trend continue even though I'm not much of a Pac guy.  Possibly Pac Plus or have a previous title (Turbo of course).  I'd also like to see Crazy Climber or Gyruss in it.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 03:16:18 pm »
I know I don't participate in the BOA.  Maybe next year. :)   

I suggest

Moon Patrol
Punch Out!!
Timber
Donkey Kong 3 (That's not happening, but I feel like I am duty bound to always include it)  8)
Track and Field
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener