Author Topic: Recommend a classic game please  (Read 8773 times)

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Swedish DK series champ :-)
    • Awards
Recommend a classic game please
« on: February 26, 2014, 05:14:58 am »
Ok. Don't really know what I'm looking/asking for here really but I want to play another classic arcade game as addictive as DK. I know the scene quite well and have probably played the most but probably not "in depth". I thought DK was another great, but not more than great, game before I finally broke the lvl 4 spring secret and it became an "obsession".

What I'm asking for:
Whatever arcade game but prefer golden age.
Preferably killscreen/ending (well that shortens the list alot  ;) )
Randomness
Addictive the longer/deeper you dig in.
Quite long learning curve

?

Thanks

DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Recommend a classic game please
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 05:17:31 am »
Ms. Pac Man?

Missile Command might also fit but its "ending" is not a hard stop like DK, Dig Dug, Ms. Pac, etc.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:19:23 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 07:21:09 am »
Donkey Kong Junior could also be a good choice (it can be a long learning curve if you really want to point press the sh*t out of this game!)  <Pigger>

D2K is also a good choice.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Swedish DK series champ :-)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:55:33 am »
Thanks guys.

I hate Pacman but have never tried it as I should. I'll try ms Pacman then.

D2K? Isn't that very similar to DK or does it have a complete different feeling? About DK j.r Xermon54, please look at my badges.  ;) Been there, done that. Not in the top league but no thanks.
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 09:06:24 am »
I know very little about the vastness that is CAG, however, Missile Command essentially fits the bill with regards to your requirements and it's very phallic
<Roy> Be Seated!

EDIT: what wagner said FailFish
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 09:07:40 am »
D2K? Isn't that very similar to DK or does it have a complete different feeling?

Both.  The original four screens are similar to those in DK but with some minor, interesting twists.  The four new screens are more about timing and precision jumping.  You will notice a little less "action" and randomness and more racing against the clock.  D2K is tougher, IMO.
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:30:40 am »
Honestly, if you think of the rollover as the "Killscreen" Joust is full of many different nuances all throughout the entire learning curve of the game.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 11:24:47 am »
zoo keeper is getting some love lately. dean and ross have been plugging away off and on for the last few years during their breaks from dk. ross(VON) also has an impressively large......zoo keeper guide on his DKF blog Kappa

the game is tough, unforgiving, and fun to watch people play. i personally dont like it very much but with the drama surrounding the game its definitely worth looking into. it doesnt have a kill screen though as far as i know
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:56:24 pm »
What I'm asking for:
Whatever arcade game but prefer golden age.
Preferably killscreen/ending (well that shortens the list alot  ;) )
Randomness
Addictive the longer/deeper you dig in.
Quite long learning curve

Zoo Keeper

Golden Age - Check
Killscreen - Negative
Randomness - Big Fat Check
Addictive - Check
Steep Learning Curve - Check

The game doesn't have a known killscreen, but with the game's crazy point system there are still plenty of goals to reach for.  Namely: get a 30 million point jump, and score 100 million (never been done; you could be the first).

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 12:13:19 am »
I shouldn't suggest it but I have to suggest Frogger:

Golden age - Yes
Preferably killscreen/ending - There are several pseudo killscreens.  One that you can avoid where it's impossible to get to final home, and the 255 roll over that is playable but weird.
Randomness - Yes
Addictive the longer/deeper you dig in- Yes
Quite long learning curve - Yes

There are also a few big milestone targets:

1. The Costanza score
2. Current WR
3. 1M points

The one negative is that the game can be very tedious and slow.  But hidden in the tedium is a bunch of subtle understanding and feel for the game.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 12:19:02 am »

I hate Pacman but have never tried it as I should. I'll try ms Pacman then.

If you're going to try a Pac title, you should maybe give Jr Pacman a go. It meets all your criteria and is ball-breakingly difficult, to boot!

<blinky> <blinky> <blinky>
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline John73

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 03:44:34 am »
Killscreenable (there is a new word for the dictionary) does narrow it down a lot, so although they are never ending:

Q*Bert - you can't go past that as a classic - even if you just aim for the 1,000,000 it's pretty impressive.

Bump 'n Jump - now this is for everyone.   If I had the cash I'd offer a $1000 bounty on this title for someone to beat me - it's a classic, Golden Age, Randomness, Addictive Longer/Deeper - not sure about that, Long learning curve - for most people I'd say yes.   If you're looking for a high score on this one, any one please chime in because I welcome someone to push me and my unverified record (because TG decided to suck balls last year) is around 5.8 million.
DK Mame 266K Level 8-6
CK Mame 559K Killscreen
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 06:04:52 am »
Hunchback is a good option as well.   Kappa
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Despatche

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 11:59:10 pm »
I'd recommend something like Pandora's Palace. It does a pretty good job at the DK feel and is definitely a CAG, but I don't how cool the tricks get and I think the randomness is somewhat limited.