Author Topic: Depthcharge... a couple of questions  (Read 8066 times)

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
Depthcharge... a couple of questions
« on: February 13, 2014, 12:16:16 pm »

I don't suppose there are any fans of the 1977 game Depthcharge here...?

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7558

Although the gameplay is pretty simple I find this one of the most compelling and enjoyable early arcade games around.

I seem to remember when  <Walter> had a scoreboard you could look at   ( ::) )  that the top scores were all in the 4000s. No matter how damnably hard I try, I can't seem to get past 3000.

I suspect there's a way to manipulate the subs at the very top of the screen - if you manage to zap 'em quickly, another seems to appear straight away from the same side - but I can't do it consistently.  FailFish

Any thoughts?
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Depthcharge... a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:20:07 pm »
M.Bedard is the best I've seen at this game, I'll point him in the direction of this thread.  He should be able to assist.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:22:24 pm by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:29:54 pm »

Thanks a lot pwnasaurus  ;D  Appreciated!

There's just something totally captivating for me about this game...

I can remember playing this in the late 1980s, and it being pushed to the very back of the arcade with other unloved 'old' titles (Frogger, Pacman, ) and crucially only costing 10p (instead of the standard 20p or 50p for the sitdown Outrun etc.) and IIRC it had a tremendously loud depthchargey-submariney-Das Boot-ey noise which MAME doesn't seem to reproduce...

Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline The Pro

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 05:20:30 pm »
Since pwnasaurus asked so nicely...

I've played way too much Depthcharge and I can't say I've ever found evidence of being able to manipulate which side the subs come from. You can know when they come out based on the death of the next sub, but all you can do is drop a charge on one side while being prepared if it comes out on the other.

You are correct about the loud sounds the game produces. I don't think it's possible to emulate them, samples would have to be used.

Anyone should be able to get over 4000 with the right strategy, though luck always factors into your final score so it may take a few tries. Quick beginner plan is to just focus on one side with the charges as close to the edge of the screen as possible. Just keep dropping charges there with reasonable spacing and deal with subs on the other side as they come up.

My 4800 inp is on MARP if you are so inclined. At its core it's the same strategy.
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 05:43:35 pm »

Welcome to DKF, Martin!

I was hoping to meet you at Funspot last June, and possibly discuss some of the nuances of Out Run.  I was looking forward to it, considering I chased your MAME record for the better part of 8 months.

Unfortunately, I spent most of the afternoon acting as Vincent Lemay's adult supervision.  It wasn't easy, but somebody had to keep that youngster from getting into trouble.   ;)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline The Pro

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 05:54:28 pm »
Maybe I'll see you next tourney. Also the current state of the Funspot Out Run may or may not be my fault.
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 06:08:45 pm »
Also the current state of the Funspot Out Run may or may not be my fault.

The sit down version?  Yeah, I tried that once.  It was enough to convince me that MAME is my best friend for maximum scoring potential.  At least my chair doesn't violently shake if I inadvertently (or intentionally) clip the rough.

Another forum topic successfully hijacked.   :)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 12:40:50 am »
Since pwnasaurus asked so nicely...

I've played way too much Depthcharge and I can't say I've ever found evidence of being able to manipulate which side the subs come from. You can know when they come out based on the death of the next sub, but all you can do is drop a charge on one side while being prepared if it comes out on the other.

You are correct about the loud sounds the game produces. I don't think it's possible to emulate them, samples would have to be used.

Anyone should be able to get over 4000 with the right strategy, though luck always factors into your final score so it may take a few tries. Quick beginner plan is to just focus on one side with the charges as close to the edge of the screen as possible. Just keep dropping charges there with reasonable spacing and deal with subs on the other side as they come up.

My 4800 inp is on MARP if you are so inclined. At its core it's the same strategy.

Many thanks for that, man! I know what you mean about way too much Depthcharge. I keep clearing the 'Time spent' column in MAME as it's a source of shame and regret  ::)