Author Topic: Zoo Keeper  (Read 65974 times)

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Zoo Keeper
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2019, 08:59:09 pm »
I was awarded 15 million points for jumping only 14 animals!

Bank error in my favor -- nice one Zoo Keeper.  Keep it up and maybe we can be friends after all.

Same sorta thing happened, only this time I was awarded 30 million for jumping only 15 animals.

The 16th animal was completely separate from the pack, so I see no simple way of explaining why the game gave me credit for jumping 16.

Maybe I somehow got credit for jumping the same animal twice??  Or probably just Zoo Keeper being Zoo Keeper.

Have you got an INP/highlight of this anywhere?

No. Savestate practice. I've still never landed a 30 million in a real game. The shenanigans I described above do occur in real games though,... I think. It's only super obvious when most of the animals are in one place, like an 8 or 15 million jump. But yeah it's happened to me in savestate practice many times.

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2020, 01:08:27 am »
I was awarded 15 million points for jumping only 14 animals!

Bank error in my favor -- nice one Zoo Keeper.  Keep it up and maybe we can be friends after all.

Same sorta thing happened, only this time I was awarded 30 million for jumping only 15 animals.

The 16th animal was completely separate from the pack, so I see no simple way of explaining why the game gave me credit for jumping 16.

Maybe I somehow got credit for jumping the same animal twice??  Or probably just Zoo Keeper being Zoo Keeper.

Have you got an INP/highlight of this anywhere?

That would be sweet if you did an OBS recording of the INP then uploaded to YouTube. Permanent then too :-)
Member for 4 Years DK Killscreener

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2020, 01:42:39 am »
Any pros care to help with broken links and tips?

I fixed most of the pics and links in the first post, though if there's a specific link from a later post you'd like fixed, let me know. I moved the images to Imgur because Photobucket is a shit stain, but I'm uncertain if this will preserve them indefinitely. The twitch links will undoubtedly rot in under a year -- why Twitch, why!? -- but the linked clips will forever be saved in the Videos section of my Twitch page: https://www.twitch.tv/dwwnp.

When playing on MAME, I'm finding that even if I run right then left to the bottom, the animals aren't all coming out in the same direction like some videos on YouTube. Do I have a bad rom? I've seen the same techniques on a MAME record on YouTube so it seems like it emulates it well.

The juke right at the beginning of a Round is merely to increase the odds that animals will exit the wall favorably -- it is not fail proof. Watch closely at the beginning of any Round and you'll see one common animal trajectory is just a hair clockwise off 12 O'Clock. By juking right you can setup just a sliver of wall that will force animals bouncing near 12 O'clock to carom back towards the open bottom of the wall.

Remember that the direction animals travel is directly tied to their position relative to Zeke as they exit the wall. The animals will always take the furthest route to reach Zeke, so if they're popping out the top right of the wall at the beginning of the Round, that direction will invariably be clockwise.

P.S. I have a ton of unfinished business with this thread and ZK in general. I don't know how much I'll go back and address anything specifically, so please just ask questions or remind me to post something I promised to post 6 years ago. And in the meantime, get Zoo Keepin'! It's a great game.

Thanks for the quick reply, hope you had a nice Christmas and New Year.

Some really cool videos on your Twitch highlights that I'll take a look at. Is the MAME record on YouTube yours with 47million?

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2020, 12:06:33 am »
I notice that if you clear an animal then juke back the other way you'll still be awarded the points (much like DK I guess), even though you haven't technically jumped over it

Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also unsure if what Dean described is different than what I'm talking about

Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2020, 11:42:09 am »
I'd like to add something to this thread that some may really appreciate.

I've tweaked a ZooKeeper artwork file to blank out the horrendous fit inducing flashing.  These settings will be required for MAME, and I can confirm it works fine with WolfMAME to allow INP recording.

Tab > Slider Controls
Screen Horiz Stretch - 1.096
Screen Vert Stretch - 1.114
Screen Vert Position - 0.008
Resolution of PC - 1920x1080 (May look off if not at this resolution) If so, just tweak the black sections in Photoshop.

Drop zookeep.png into your Artwork folder, voila!

https://ibb.co/pdXNpTg

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2020, 05:48:41 pm »
I'd like to add something to this thread that some may really appreciate.

I've tweaked a ZooKeeper artwork file to blank out the horrendous fit inducing flashing.  These settings will be required for MAME, and I can confirm it works fine with WolfMAME to allow INP recording.

Tab > Slider Controls
Screen Horiz Stretch - 1.096
Screen Vert Stretch - 1.114
Screen Vert Position - 0.008
Resolution of PC - 1920x1080 (May look off if not at this resolution) If so, just tweak the black sections in Photoshop.

Drop zookeep.png into your Artwork folder, voila!

https://ibb.co/pdXNpTg

This is honestly such a good idea. Zoo Keeper is like the real life Polybius with that stupid seizure-inducing strobing. Unfortunately I think this sort of modification would get disqualified by most scorekeepers, but maybe an official "fixed" Zoo Keeper rom could eventually become a thing.

What are people's thoughts on modifying game aesthetics?

It would be easy to argue -- and probably accurate -- that the Zoo Keeper strobing adds to the difficulty of the game. It most definitely does not add to the fun.

Can we think of other examples where changing game aesthetics would affect difficulty?

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2020, 06:16:10 pm »
It's a fantastic idea and I've used something similar in the past for vector games (increasing beam intensity). Makes the games more fun and easier to play.

If you stretch the screen in zookeeper while recording, the same won't happen when watching back the inp. It may be detectable if you have the knowledge to dig a bit deeper into it?

Is any of this possible with an original cab/monitors?
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2020, 01:14:31 am »
Thanks guys. Hope it helps.  :)

For me, it doesn't decrease the difficulty as it's not directly in the field of vision. What it does so, is make me not want to try push high scores as it's damn annoying. If someone could fix the ROM and agree to accept scores, I guess that would be even better!

Another reason it's annoying is catching up on your streams Ross. When chilling watching at night, even with my phones screen on minimum brightness, the entire room is flashing like a sodding disco  ;D

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2020, 08:05:55 am »
If you stretch the screen in zookeeper while recording, the same won't happen when watching back the inp. It may be detectable if you have the knowledge to dig a bit deeper into it?

You are correct. It plays just fine, but does indeed show the flashing still. What's your thoughts on accepting scores with it?

Offline muscleandfitness

• Pie Kicker
  • Elite Member
  • Wall jump WR Holder x3
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2020, 08:40:24 am »
omg omg omg I Love my Rossy no homeo lit yer buddy wht da ..lit. brian allen NOISES
59 wall jumps new world record on mame
55 wall jumps on a cab New World Record
longest convener ride in dk history New World Record
World Record for standing behind oil can until end of lev
A Reverse finish on Rivet  board. 12 ks's HS 992900
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2020, 02:30:54 pm »
omg omg omg I Love my Rossy no homeo lit yer buddy wht da ..lit. brian allen NOISES
Please play Zookeeper Allen!
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2020, 02:34:52 pm »
Please play Zookeeper Allen!

Yea Allen. Come on, break the internet with your swearing. You think DK is infuriating? Wait until you lose all your lives on the effing bonus round!

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2021, 12:09:29 am »
Big! Big! Big!

Super clean 30 million jump around 12:+

Some studly play from Bryan Wagner.

Offline bryguy

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2021, 02:57:13 pm »
Thank you Ross! I'll be uploading the 15+30 million jumps on round 22 of my 78 million record game on YouTube.
Bryan
Member for 3 Years

Offline bryguy

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2021, 02:59:09 pm »
Your write-up of Zoo Keeper is very impressive BTW!
Member for 3 Years