Author Topic: Zoo Keeper  (Read 65943 times)

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
Re: Zoo Keeper
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2015, 02:36:49 am »
This is an amazing thread... thanks everyone for sharing their tips and strategies.
For a less informative but more drama filled Zoo Keeper thread, try http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,846

You won't learn very much, if anything, about tips and strategies, but bring the popcorn and watch the drama unfold.  Block out a couple of hours if you want to enjoy the whole thread.

-George

I know Von and myself know about that thread too.  We have been mentioning some things in this thread about John's claims.  Some may be true and some may be false.  The recent 155M claim is still a mystery.  No video proof and not doing it since that time means something may not be right at all.

Offline Verminator

• Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2015, 11:28:57 pm »
This is an amazing thread... thanks everyone for sharing their tips and strategies.
For a less informative but more drama filled Zoo Keeper thread, try http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,846

You won't learn very much, if anything, about tips and strategies, but bring the popcorn and watch the drama unfold.  Block out a couple of hours if you want to enjoy the whole thread.

-George

Wow... thanks! Before I read all 82 pages of that discussion, is Zoo Keeper really more difficult in MAME than the arcade version??
Berzerk (Fast Bullets/No Patterns) = 58,780
Berzerk (Slow Bullets/No Patterns) = 195,000
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2015, 04:33:35 am »
Wow... thanks! Before I read all 82 pages of that discussion, is Zoo Keeper really more difficult in MAME than the arcade version??

Since ZK is such a rare game I'm not sure if to many people on here have even seen one in person.  I've played it on MAME and on arcade but the arcade was back in 1984 or so.  I couldn't tell you the difference as it was so long ago.

Offline Verminator

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2015, 08:45:30 pm »
I went to Galloping Ghost in Brookfield and they had acquired an original cab, it was working a few weeks ago, and it is already down. They are having issues with the board. I have not seen a working arcade version of Zoo Keeper since about 1992 and it is depressing!  :'(
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2015, 09:29:50 pm »
Knock on wood my ZK has been solid for about 5 years now.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2015, 09:53:09 pm »

Since ZK is such a rare game I'm not sure if to many people on here have even seen one in person.  I've played it on MAME and on arcade but the arcade was back in 1984 or so.  I couldn't tell you the difference as it was so long ago.

An arcade very close to me had one in the mid to late 80s and myself and a friend of mine would play the sht out of it. It's funny because the game didn't get much play from others from what I could tell, but we were totally addicted.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2015, 12:20:04 am »
is Zoo Keeper really more difficult in MAME than the arcade version??

The two play identical as far I can tell.

Some people feel it's slightly faster in MAME, but I've never noticed.  Then again, I've played way more on MAME than on a cab.

Offline Verminator

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2015, 06:46:57 pm »
Then the solution is obvious... find a private collector with a Zoo Keeper instead of a public place where it is subject to the abuse of the general public. By the way, I saw the Galloping Ghost Zoo Keeper cabinet and it is an original in very good condition... except the working board part! :(

Edit: The cabinet was actually converted to something else and Doc Mack reconverted it to the original... he deserves a lot of credit because he has been really focused on replacing his games with original cabinets.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:56:26 pm by Verminator »
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline Verminator

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2015, 12:01:52 am »
I was not having a good game of Zoo Keeper tonight and decided to kill off my final life... then I proceeded to run through five consecutive animals before my game ended. What is up with that?  <confused>
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2015, 03:02:02 pm »
I was not having a good game of Zoo Keeper tonight and decided to kill off my final life... then I proceeded to run through five consecutive animals before my game ended. What is up with that?  <confused>

Someone will have to look at the code to properly answer what is going on with the Zoo Keeper collision detection.  I have my theories, but no hard facts.

Offline Verminator

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2015, 05:45:09 pm »
Is the collision detection just plain poor on this game? It almost seems like I can pull off more tricks to avoid animals in later rounds when they move faster.
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline jumpman

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2015, 07:05:36 am »
Is it just me or does the collision detection seem different when your in the corners?
DK Arcade 606,200
Zookeeper 750k

http://www.twitch.tv/shigerumiyamoto
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2019, 10:39:45 am »
Thread...awaken!!

I'm moving towards this game now as I find it more fun than DK. Any pros care to help with broken links and tips?

When playing on MAME, I'm finding that even if I run right then left to the bottom, the animals aren't all coming out in the same direction like some videos on YouTube. Do I have a bad rom? I've seen the same techniques on a MAME record on YouTube so it seems like it emulates it well.
Member for 4 Years DK Killscreener

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2019, 05:50:35 pm »
Any pros care to help with broken links and tips?

I fixed most of the pics and links in the first post, though if there's a specific link from a later post you'd like fixed, let me know. I moved the images to Imgur because Photobucket is a shit stain, but I'm uncertain if this will preserve them indefinitely. The twitch links will undoubtedly rot in under a year -- why Twitch, why!? -- but the linked clips will forever be saved in the Videos section of my Twitch page: https://www.twitch.tv/dwwnp.

When playing on MAME, I'm finding that even if I run right then left to the bottom, the animals aren't all coming out in the same direction like some videos on YouTube. Do I have a bad rom? I've seen the same techniques on a MAME record on YouTube so it seems like it emulates it well.

The juke right at the beginning of a Round is merely to increase the odds that animals will exit the wall favorably -- it is not fail proof. Watch closely at the beginning of any Round and you'll see one common animal trajectory is just a hair clockwise off 12 O'Clock. By juking right you can setup just a sliver of wall that will force animals bouncing near 12 O'clock to carom back towards the open bottom of the wall.

Remember that the direction animals travel is directly tied to their position relative to Zeke as they exit the wall. The animals will always take the furthest route to reach Zeke, so if they're popping out the top right of the wall at the beginning of the Round, that direction will invariably be clockwise.

P.S. I have a ton of unfinished business with this thread and ZK in general. I don't know how much I'll go back and address anything specifically, so please just ask questions or remind me to post something I promised to post 6 years ago. And in the meantime, get Zoo Keepin'! It's a great game. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 12:52:03 am by VON »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK 1.1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer Blogger Wildcard Rematch Champion Winner of a community event DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - MAME

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2019, 08:12:34 pm »
I was awarded 15 million points for jumping only 14 animals!

Bank error in my favor -- nice one Zoo Keeper.  Keep it up and maybe we can be friends after all.

Same sorta thing happened, only this time I was awarded 30 million for jumping only 15 animals.

The 16th animal was completely separate from the pack, so I see no simple way of explaining why the game gave me credit for jumping 16.

Maybe I somehow got credit for jumping the same animal twice??  Or probably just Zoo Keeper being Zoo Keeper.

Have you got an INP/highlight of this anywhere?
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Have a score on every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer