Author Topic: Zoo Keeper  (Read 65928 times)

Offline 1500points

• Awards
Re: Zoo Keeper
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2015, 07:36:45 pm »
About the difficulty resetting.  A mamedev could assess this for you.  I have asked Sean R but he doesn't have time to dig into a new platform like ZK.

Defender on max difficulty has a math anomaly on wave 161 where the game goes super easy for that wave. It has to do with how the difficulty and wave are calculated and a rollover with a number.  Don H confirmed a YT vid report of it.

reminds me of Tut where maze 17 is back to maze 1 difficulty.

As far as CAG claims, I'm enjoying the fact that guys here are making ZK seems fun and Jace has made ZK have a public mystique.
Time to setup an actual ZK exhibition on TGL and get people excited beyond just CAGDC and DKF.....

Member for 9 Years

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2015, 11:28:18 am »
Well, first we have to independently verify whether the speed rollover is even a real thing.  Lexmark isn't exactly a trustworthy source of information, and his claim does not line up with what is known about how the speed increments.

I've been meaning to chat with Dean about this -- as he already has savestates set up for some of the later Rounds -- but I haven't seem him online since Lexmark dropped his news.

If the speed rollover can be confirmed, then there is definitely room to discuss new strategy, but if it cannot be replicated, as I expect, then at least we can dismiss any future Lexmark claims.

<stirpot>  <popcorn>

I have to admit that I sort of believe what Lexmark is saying.  He even claims to have filmed the last so many boards so he could indeed prove which level he finished his game on, possibly.  However, I'm not sure ZK even shows which level you are really on so maybe he couldn't prove it?  However, If the animals do indeed slow down then this all makes since.  Has anyone else ever reached level 62-65?  The video may show this as well.  The problem is Lexmark won't put out a video of his play.   I have a good feeling ZK is going to jump back in the limelight once again.

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2015, 01:13:46 pm »
Well, first we have to independently verify whether the speed rollover is even a real thing.  Lexmark isn't exactly a trustworthy source of information, and his claim does not line up with what is known about how the speed increments.

I've been meaning to chat with Dean about this -- as he already has savestates set up for some of the later Rounds -- but I haven't seem him online since Lexmark dropped his news.

If the speed rollover can be confirmed, then there is definitely room to discuss new strategy, but if it cannot be replicated, as I expect, then at least we can dismiss any future Lexmark claims.

<stirpot>  <popcorn>

I have to admit that I sort of believe what Lexmark is saying.  He even claims to have filmed the last so many boards so he could indeed prove which level he finished his game on, possibly.  However, I'm not sure ZK even shows which level you are really on so maybe he couldn't prove it?  However, If the animals do indeed slow down then this all makes since.  Has anyone else ever reached level 62-65?  The video may show this as well.  The problem is Lexmark won't put out a video of his play.   I have a good feeling ZK is going to jump back in the limelight once again.

And that right there is the crux of the issue. Stop being a brat and just say "look everyone I crushed this game and here is the video showing it"... To be "hiding" his play on a game that is 30+ years old that maybe 5 people actually give a rats ass about is so damn childish I cannot even begin to describe it. At this point I have no choice but to believe its some type of exploit he has figured out that he doesn't want to share because he knows that other guys would destroy his score (but soooooooooooooooooooooooo freaking what if they do) or call him out on it as bogus. There just isn't any other explanation because quite frankly who cares you got the world record in ZooKeeper? SHARE it instead of just sticking your finger in the eye of everyone who would actually appreciate watching something like that...
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2015, 01:37:43 pm »

<stirpot>  <popcorn>

And that right there is the crux of the issue. Stop being a brat and just say "look everyone I crushed this game and here is the video showing it"... To be "hiding" his play on a game that is 30+ years old that maybe 5 people actually give a rats ass about is so damn childish I cannot even begin to describe it. At this point I have no choice but to believe its some type of exploit he has figured out that he doesn't want to share because he knows that other guys would destroy his score (but soooooooooooooooooooooooo freaking what if they do) or call him out on it as bogus. There just isn't any other explanation because quite frankly who cares you got the world record in ZooKeeper? SHARE it instead of just sticking your finger in the eye of everyone who would actually appreciate watching something like that...

It's always been this way with game videos up until just recently.  Now, a lot of people were still showing their videos years ago but a lot were still hidden.  I just don't think he will submit to TG anyway.  TG would embrace a 100M+ score, make a front page story and give him a live interview. I think he will remain hiding it and submit to another place instead.

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2015, 04:09:49 pm »
I fully agree with Dan but I also believe that he probably did get the score legitimately.  He may have some trick that makes it easier to get or he may have just figured something out about the game that no one else has seen.

Either way hiding the game play is something that kills competition on a game and keeps the game in the shadows.  Counter productive to the hobby as a whole.  Do things that make other people want to play the games, don't do things that make you a dick.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline jumpman

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2015, 05:58:04 pm »
What a wealth of info on zk. Thanks for putting this together. After 3 years of struggling to get my pcbs repaired, repinning entire harness, dealing with bad power supplies, bad ribbon cables,monitor sync issues I got it all working this week. I almost gave up on my zk several times. Now it's time to play! I have only played for 2 days and love it. I'm not even a 200k player yet but hopefully break 1M soon. Who here likes to stream zk? Would love to watch.
DK Arcade 606,200
Zookeeper 750k

http://www.twitch.tv/shigerumiyamoto
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2015, 06:08:49 pm »
Basically he seems to think of his game play as a secret recipe like Coca-Cola or some cookie recipe that is kept for several generations in the family.  What he fails to understand though is unlike other "Secret recipe's", his game play can't be enjoyed by the public.
It probably has to do with the fact that the former World Record holders didn't share their game play either.  I.e the Cram brothers.  So he had to start at square one with this game.
For whatever reason this was much more the norm back in the day.  Things can change though.  At one point in time all 3 Donkey Kong's had game play that was not made available to the public.  So with time, things can change.  Hey even Zoo Keeper has had more great game play shown because of Dean Saglio, and Ross Benzinger.  So that's a plus.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:27:37 pm by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Verminator

• Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2015, 07:34:08 pm »
This is an amazing thread... thanks everyone for sharing their tips and strategies.

Zoo Keeper is my favorite classic arcade game by far but my high score is "only" about 3.1 million (with a max 120,000 point jump, but I am now more optimistic I can attain higher point jumps after watching the videos).

I plan on reading and re-reading and watching and re-watching. It's just too bad the game hardware itself is so unreliable.

Finally, I'll make my contribution to the thread to say the first level is the "Root Beer Level" and not the "Beer Level". It says "Get the Root Beer" in attract mode!  ;D
Berzerk (Fast Bullets/No Patterns) = 58,780
Berzerk (Slow Bullets/No Patterns) = 195,000
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2015, 10:12:00 pm »
Haha yeah.  I've also called the rhino a boar for most of this thread, even though there's clearly a rhino on the CP artwork FailFish  But c'mon, who's ever seen a pink rhino (and it's grey on the CP!)?

Anyways, welcome, sir.  Best of luck to you in your ZK endeavors, and I still stream ZK from time to time so stop by and say hello.

P.S. I swear I'll finish my digging into Lexderp's claims soon.

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2015, 02:25:22 am »
P.S. I swear I'll finish my digging into Lexderp's claims soon.

You must mean the claims about 155M and the animal speeds starting over in the higher rounds?

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2015, 05:37:14 pm »
. . . and the animal speeds starting over in the higher rounds?

This is false.  ;-)
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Winner of a community event Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - MAME Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2015, 05:51:45 pm »
Ha ha ole Lexie hated "This is false" I reckon BITD
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Verminator

• Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2015, 07:07:10 pm »
Thanks guys!

I'll make another contribution... on the Bonus Keeper Level, you can position yourself at specific spots on the second and third platform that will allow you to make two straight line jumps successfully. On Level 2, go back as far as possible. On Level 3, position the keeper back about 40% of the way to the back edge. On Level 4, don't move the keeper at all, jump right away, then reverse the keeper slightly and make the second jump.

If I have accomplished anything, it is mastery of the Bonus Keeper Level!  8)
Berzerk (Fast Bullets/No Patterns) = 58,780
Berzerk (Slow Bullets/No Patterns) = 195,000
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2015, 07:27:10 pm »
If I have accomplished anything, it is mastery of the Bonus Keeper Level!  8)

That's a really good thing to have mastered, actually.

The "bonus" stages of Zoo Keeper have killed many a Zeke over the years.

. . . and the animal speeds starting over in the higher rounds?

This is false.  ;-)

Yes, it is false, or at the very least it is not tied to Round number.

And in true Lexderp fashion I will conclude by saying that I will elaborate on this matter at a later date. :D  (Truth is I haven't completely finished assessing Derpenheimer's claims, so I want to wait until I can make one comprehensive post)

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2015, 10:38:27 pm »
This is an amazing thread... thanks everyone for sharing their tips and strategies.
For a less informative but more drama filled Zoo Keeper thread, try http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,846

You won't learn very much, if anything, about tips and strategies, but bring the popcorn and watch the drama unfold.  Block out a couple of hours if you want to enjoy the whole thread.

-George
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer