Author Topic: Crazy Kong Part II 2023 Revision for MAME  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Crazy Kong Part II 2023 Revision for MAME
« on: February 01, 2024, 05:32:51 pm »
I thought it'd be fun to post MAME ROMs for my updated version of Crazy Kong Part II.

It's not actually supported in MAME or HBMAME yet but if you put the ckongpt2a.zip file into MAME's roms folder it will take the place of one of the existing variants of Crazy Kong (ckongpt2a) and you can run it (you'll also need the parent rom ckongpt2.zip) ...if you use the command line version of MAME anyway.  example type "mame64 ckongpt2a" in the command window:

C:\games\mame>mame64 ckongpt2a

For anyone interested,
Crazy Kong Part II 2023 Revision is an updated version of Crazy Kong Part II.  It plays exactly the same as before but this version fixes all kinds of graphical bugs and glitches from the game, re-introduces many of the animations that Crazy Kong is missing from Donkey Kong and even adds hammer music.
But the gameplay is the same, including all the tricks that you can do in Crazy Kong like the floor skip, hammer drop and avoiding barrels when you're at the top of the ladders.

Here is a video comparing the two versions side by side:

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 05:42:00 pm by Sock Master »
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
Re: Crazy Kong Part II 2023 Revision for MAME
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 06:21:33 am »
Well done Sir.

Thanks for another great contribution to the DK world.
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline jammvyy

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 01:36:42 pm »
Cool I like it nice work sir :) ,,, I`m interested in, why some of the parts of the original game are the wrong color? was justa bad hack job and they just to lazy to fix it , or maybe an attempt to say are game different not DK :) 
Member for 1 Year

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 03:03:10 pm »
Cool I like it nice work sir :) ,,, I`m interested in, why some of the parts of the original game are the wrong color? was justa bad hack job and they just to lazy to fix it , or maybe an attempt to say are game different not DK :)
The long answer?  The original version of Crazy Kong was a hack job and they wanted to get it done as fast as possible.  The available colors are hard coded in the color proms and even if you change the program code, you can only select from the limited sets of colors that are in the color proms.
The first version of Crazy Kong simply used Crazy Climber's color proms.  So the choice of colors was limited and not very close to Donkey Kong.
After that, it looks like several different sets of hackers/pirates all took turns at improving the game a bit and by the time of Crazy Kong Part II someone had tweaked the color proms to be a little better so it's a bit improved, but still kind of based on Crazy Climber.
With more time and effort the game could be made to look even closer to Donkey Kong - colors, graphics and animations.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Offline jammvyy

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 05:52:40 pm »
ahh ok cool,,, maybe some ladders are not right color at the bottom do to addressing ? . I have a scrambler bootleg board the color prom definitely not the same colors as the original game ,,, maybe same work around :)

Member for 1 Year

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 06:40:18 pm »
ahh ok cool,,, maybe some ladders are not right color at the bottom do to addressing ? . I have a scrambler bootleg board the color prom definitely not the same colors as the original game ,,, maybe same work around :)

Donkey Kong hardware, compared to Crazy Kong hardware is like this glorious sprite pushing machine.  In theory, DK hardware can push a ton of sprites onto the screen at once.   So the hat, purse, umbrella, hammers, oil barrel, oil can fire, donkey kong, the barrels next to kong, elevators, elevator "motors" and etc... they're all sprites.
Crazy Kong hardware can display 8 sprites.  So that's a few for barrels, a couple more for fireballs, Jumpman himself, his hammer... and then, all the sprites are all used up already.   Kong himself uses this kind of extra background map but it works differently so a weird kong is on the screen whenever there are other sprites and only when all the other sprites are turned off can "normal" kong appear on the screen..

Anyway, so in Crazy Kong, the oil can and hammers, and hat/purse/umbrella are not sprites - they have to be drawn as background graphics which can't really move and can only be placed on 8x8 pixel tile boundries.   And well, the way colors are selected for the backgrounds is pretty crap and you can only assign colors in big blocks - so if the umbrella or whatever is right next to a ladder, you can't make the ladder and the umbrella have different color sets.   They tried to hide this by making a graphic with a hat and ladder drawn together but it's still limited and when you pick up the hat and the game tries to erase it, it mucks up the color definition and some weird glitches happen.  Stuff like that.

With the 2023 revision, I did my best to try to clean that up.  There's a limited set of colors but I tried to pick the colors so they wouldn't cause those weird color glitches and I also moved where things appear on the screen to be as close as possible to were they were actually supposed to be.

Donkey Kong has the same kind of limitations to the background colors but since all those things are sprites that appear in front of the background it doesn't cause any glitches.

Anyway, CK had to handle how all those graphics work very differently from DK.  It's kind of amazing that they did it at all because it's pretty bonkers.  I'm sure they must have sworn a lot when doing it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 06:41:57 pm by Sock Master »

Offline jammvyy

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 01:51:13 pm »
They must have sworn a lot lol :)  thanks for explaining it, nothing to do with gummy substances  <Mruczek> :) just better hardware , I'm guessing nintendo 3rd party pcb as well :)

Member for 1 Year

Offline pcfreak324

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 05:42:48 am »
Thank you Sock Master for releasing the patch to the public. I really appreciate the immense amount of work you have contributed to the community and wish you all the best with your next projects.
Member for 6 Years

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
  • Why not play some Space Panic today?
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2024, 09:16:41 am »
I really appreciate the immense amount of work you have contributed to the community and wish you all the best with your next projects.
Ditto. I don't even know what this one is about, but the Spooky and Christmas remixes were pretty amazing.
Member for 10 Years