Author Topic: DK Score Submissions  (Read 1446154 times)

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Score Submissions
« Reply #1275 on: August 11, 2015, 07:31:20 pm »
Thanks, Robert.  Congrats to you on breaking 200k!
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

DadsGlasses

« Reply #1276 on: August 11, 2015, 07:47:06 pm »
Thanks. I was watching your game & my wife was in the room reading. When your wife came into the room, my wife said, "I'm not bringing you food while you play!"

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #1277 on: August 12, 2015, 10:53:02 am »
LOL, I tried my best to be patient and courteous.  :-[ It was very thoughtful of her to bring me lunch, but at the same time I was concentrating on what turned out be my best game to date, and she was trying to start a conversation...

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #1278 on: August 12, 2015, 11:00:32 am »
LOL, I tried my best to be patient and courteous.  :-[ It was very thoughtful of her to bring me lunch, but at the same time I was concentrating on what turned out be my best game to date, and she was trying to start a conversation...

Great job Chris!

a bunch of us were watching as you closed in on the final few levels, really impressive play, You and Jeff Willms are probably the only players that use the flashing 1 UP trick as far as I know, I still don't fully understand it  <confused>
and removing the rivets without jumping over them is also pretty swaggy, although I wouldn't use it deep in a game unless I absolutely had to  ;D

Killscreen any day now.
Good luck.

DadsGlasses

« Reply #1279 on: August 12, 2015, 11:50:24 am »
What is the "Flashing 1Up trick" does it have something to do with the fact that Chris sometimes pauses momentarily on the barrel boards before completing the final ladder climb?

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #1280 on: August 12, 2015, 11:57:05 am »
Thanks, Adam.  Wow, I didn't realize people were actually watching...that increases the pressure.  :P

For flashing 1UP, my technique is to watch the flashing, and go when I see the 1UP on screen.  The few split seconds of reaction time results in actually reaching the top of the ladder while the 1UP is off screen.  It took a lot of just doing it repeatedly to actually get to a point of being able to time it correctly.  That's how I do it at least.  Robert - I suggest reading the advanced pie factory thread, but in a nutshell, it eliminates having the 5th fireball spawn "late" (or delayed), which has multiple benefits.

I only clear the bottom left rivet without going over it, with very rare exception.  And as you can probably tell, I verify that I haven't cleared it before pulling left so I don't accidentally run back into the hole.  I also don't do it if there's any chance of a fireball being in close proximity.  My opinion is that it saves a few milliseconds, which typically pay off elsewhere.

As for my last death, I think I got bit by one of those springs that moves more quickly on the horizontal plain than the typical spring.  That's a thing, right?  I seem to recall reading that in xelnia's awesome Spring Theory thread.  The only other explanation is I simply mis-timed it, which is also certainly possible.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:59:00 am by YesAffinity »

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #1281 on: August 12, 2015, 12:34:19 pm »
Chris Gleed
PB 825,200
L20-4
8/11/15

http://www.twitch.tv/yesaffinity/v/10563548

Great game, sir. Amazing first man. Your score has been verified and updated on the HSL.

For flashing 1UP, my technique is to watch the flashing, and go when I see the 1UP on screen.  The few split seconds of reaction time results in actually reaching the top of the ladder while the 1UP is off screen.  It took a lot of just doing it repeatedly to actually get to a point of being able to time it correctly.  That's how I do it at least.  Robert - I suggest reading the advanced pie factory thread, but in a nutshell, it eliminates having the 5th fireball spawn "late" (or delayed), which has multiple benefits.

As Adam said, there really is no one else doing this so it speaks to the amount of research and dedication you've put into your game. Great stuff.

I only clear the bottom left rivet without going over it, with very rare exception.  And as you can probably tell, I verify that I haven't cleared it before pulling left so I don't accidentally run back into the hole.  I also don't do it if there's any chance of a fireball being in close proximity.  My opinion is that it saves a few milliseconds, which typically pay off elsewhere.

I think you might save time only if you remove the "verification" part of that move. Pausing to check your position probably negates the time-save and makes it about the same as walking over the rivet and jumping back. I haven't examined it that closely though.

As for my last death, I think I got bit by one of those springs that moves more quickly on the horizontal plain than the typical spring.  That's a thing, right?  I seem to recall reading that in xelnia's awesome Spring Theory thread.  The only other explanation is I simply mis-timed it, which is also certainly possible.

The springs all move at the same rate across the screen. The difference is their starting point. It's hard to tell the exact springs on the video, but it looks like the leading spring is a 10 or 11 and the trailing spring is a 0 or 1. That would give you 12-17 frames (.2 - .28 seconds roughly) of breathing room. It looks to me like you might have cornered onto the ladder a little too late.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

DadsGlasses

« Reply #1282 on: August 12, 2015, 02:00:23 pm »
The "Chris Gleed First Rivet Kiss". Everyone needs a signature move!  Currently mine is: Dying.

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #1283 on: August 12, 2015, 05:17:32 pm »
ROFL

Seriously, though, Robert you've got the signature game room that makes my dingy man cave look like a polished turd.  ;D

Jeremy, you may be right about the rivet kiss, I will now have to do some side-by-side video documentation to determine or disprove any advantage my technique may provide vs. running over and back-jumping.  Ultimately, my technique is not as awesome as Dean's (does anybody else expertly clear the rivets without jumping?).  I'm sure you're right about my ladder cornering, too.  Nerves got the best of me on that one.  :'(

Online Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #1284 on: August 14, 2015, 03:58:00 am »
Andrew Barrow
14/8/2015
L22-Ethan
WolfMAME 0.164
http://www.twitch.tv/barranz/v/10866374 Part 1
http://www.twitch.tv/barranz/v/10866418 Part 2
It cut out on L20-4 just as I was grabbing the purse. But the second part starts up before the cut out, and I had zero dropped frames. Thanks, Twitch

:)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline alumbrada

• Awards
« Reply #1285 on: August 14, 2015, 04:56:40 am »
Andrew Barrow
14/8/2015
L22-Ethan
WolfMAME 0.164
It cut out on L20-4 just as I was grabbing the purse. But the second part starts up before the cut out, and I had zero dropped frames. Thanks, Twitch

Such generosity, very <3<3<3

You'll see it here first ladies and gentlemen www.twitch.tv/barranz

<stirpot><stirpot><stirpot><stirpot>

No <stirpot> needed, you called it!
You were on fire the whole time, even avoiding a Mitch Shoutbox Curse. Great game and perfect timing to claim some cash.
DK high score: 89,100
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #1286 on: August 14, 2015, 07:06:38 am »
Andrew Barrow
14/8/2015
L22-Ethan
WolfMAME 0.164

Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm <Billy> Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm
Congratulations sir! A PB, a 1M+ score, and $$$ as well! I actually made a prediction you would win this Event. Your score has been verified and updated on the Main HSL (and note that it is now a Top 12 MAME score, as well).

Aside from the f_symbols KS strat, people should take note of the Level 12 rivet screen. A massive board of 12,100 points aided by 11 smashes. I've already given him a hard time about it, but had Andrew jumped out the remainder of that board he would have likely ended up with a 13,500 rivet...a new world record.  <Allen> I hope you continue to play, sir. You're one of the rare gamers that can truly master any game they touch, so pls...continue to go good.

EDIT: Note that I have included the "Race to 1M" as a source for this game. Since Wes is running the event and acting as an independent adjudicator I believe any scores set during this event should include a reference to that additional verification.

EDIT 2: Fixed the "MIN" barrel stat

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 07:10:44 am by xelnia »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #1287 on: August 14, 2015, 07:52:04 am »

Congratulations sir! A PB, a 1M+ score, and $$$ as well! I actually made a prediction you would win this Event. Your score has been verified and updated on the Main HSL (and note that it is now a Top 12 MAME score, as well).

Aside from the f_symbols KS strat, people should take note of the Level 12 rivet screen. A massive board of 12,100 points aided by 11 smashes. I've already given him a hard time about it, but had Andrew jumped out the remainder of that board he would have likely ended up with a 13,500 rivet...a new world record.  <Allen>
Can't say thanks enough, mate. <3 your charts :)
Oh and that rivet, there was a fireball on the right and a bottom spawner so <thefinger> !!!.............Kappa

I hope you continue to play, sir. You're one of the rare gamers that can truly master any game they touch, so pls...continue to go good.
Tears mate BibleThump <3<3<3
I'll continue to play for sure. It would be a tremendous disservice to my cobbas if I were to stop now. Maybe I'll go for 14k 1-1. (Lol)

Thanks again.
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #1288 on: August 14, 2015, 07:59:57 am »
I actually made a prediction you would win this Event.

Oh yer wheres yer proof
Kappa

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #1289 on: August 14, 2015, 08:03:14 am »
I actually made a prediction you would win this Event.

Oh yer wheres yer proof
Kappa

Well, it was a private FB message  BibleThump

8/10, 3:22am
this seems like the kind of thing Andrew Barrow would win. dude has the grinder spirit and is crazy good at whatever he plays.