Author Topic: Would anyone else be interested in a DK Jr. High Score list?  (Read 14772 times)

ChrisJBenn

So I've been playing some Donkey Kong Jr. whenever I get frustrated with DK, and I've sort of gotten better at it as time goes on - bobbing around between 60K and 100K for most of my games, but I don't have any real desire to push that at the moment. So I thought it might be a good idea to have a high score list, similar to the DK one, pinned in the DK Jr. section of the forum. That might be pretty cool for anyone wanting to get into Jr. and motivate them to really "learn" the game and get into it. Would anyone else be interested in this? I'd be willing to do all of the leg-work, amalgamating the TG MAME/Arcade scoreboards and taking submissions etc. provided people are interested in this, of course.

Just an idea, let me know what you think.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
Re: Would anyone else be interested in a DK Jr. High Score list?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 04:36:22 pm »
I would absolutely not be opposed to this!
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

corey.chambers

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:38:54 pm »
Sounds like fun. I keep all the scores in a excel spreadsheet, I would be willing to email the file to you because the text that is used is very complicated. I would be willing to show you what I do to get the list looking the way it is and having the functionality it has. Just let me know. You can send me a personal message with your email address and I can send it to you and explain the ropes. Believe me it will save you about 10 hours worth of work, I assure you.

giv

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 04:56:45 pm »
I am absolutely opposed to this!

:)

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 05:08:14 pm »
I am absolutely opposed to this!

:)

Damn, I was gonna suggest you be the head ref. ;D
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 05:09:08 pm »
Haha.

George, if you're at KO3, I'm gonna lock you in a room with a DK Junior machine and not let you out until you pass Level 5!  :P

Your own private hell...
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

giv

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 05:33:23 pm »
Oh, I can pass level 5. But why would I want to?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:48:49 pm by giv »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 06:27:43 pm »
Cool idea! Yeah, I'd be up for a DKJr list, if someone is willing to do the work. I'm sure it won't be nearly as much work os the DK list, but I think Corey got a good system down amidst 'the fire' of sorts, so with his help, this may not be so hard to put together.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 07:01:46 pm »
we have a list here on the fourms already for dkjr

corey.chambers

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 07:04:59 pm »
I think what is being proposed is a list that is much like the High Score List. I assume that Chris will either adopt the criteria from the DK HSL or he will just put scores on it. I am not sure what his plan is but I am sure that he will want to add links and stuff like I do to source the evidence and add stream links etc. I will work with him on the format, but I am not sure yet what his plan is for a criteria.

corey.chambers

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 07:54:13 pm »
This may be the list that you were referring to Brian: https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=231.msg3352#msg3352.

ChrisJBenn

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 08:26:34 pm »
we have a list here on the fourms already for dkjr

Brian, yeah I've seen George's post, but like Corey said I'm talking about making a comprehensive list of every TG-submitted score, and then taking new submissions here. Almost exactly like the DK High Score list Corey has going. The idea is to have it pinned either in the DK Jr. section, or in the lists section like the DK HSL is, but under a DK Jr. sub-section. It'd be nice to have an "official" list that didn't require payment for submissions!

Corey, yeah I'm just going to adopt the criteria from yours if that's okay. The only thing that'll be different is there won't be a minimum score, as I think the amount of DK Jr. players submitting scores will be managable - and hopefully that way it'll encourage even more people to pick up DK Jr.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 08:53:31 pm »
Hey if you want to do an expansive list, than I'm all for it.  My list was really just basic, and it would be cool to see a top scores list with this as well.  Who knows maybe it will inspire people to up their score like the Donkey Kong list has done. 8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 09:23:22 pm »
I actually think having Corey-style High Score lists for DKJR, DK3, and D2K pinned in their respective threads would be great. Obviously it's not Corey's responsibility to maintain 4 different high score lists; he has enough work (and does a great job) with the DK list. I would volunteer to compile a list for D2K since I'm growing more interested in that game by the day...and because that list will probably be the shortest of them all!  8)
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 10:29:00 pm »
Thanks guys. Yeah, Chris, that is fine with the criteria. Jeremy, if you are interested in managing a score list send me a personal message on the forum with your email address, I want to show you what I do and how I do it. In order to get the ranking on there and have it change easily I had to use an excel spreadsheet. I actually do all my editing in excel and then I copy all and paste it into the post when I modify it. Also there is a specific way to get the links on there, especially for youtube links so that they do not embed etc. Let me know if you want help with that. I will be skyping Chris soon to talk to him about the spreadsheet with it open in front of him. That will be the easiest I think.