Author Topic: Linux Mame Players?  (Read 9537 times)

SQUIIDUX

Linux Mame Players?
« on: May 30, 2013, 03:47:03 pm »
Any Linux mame players? if so, what linux distro and what mame (&version) are you using? 8)

corey.chambers

Re: Linux Mame Players?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:42:18 pm »
Will the WolfMAME .106 not work at all on the Linux system? This is the officially supported emulator by TwinGalaxies, and fits the criteria for being eligible for being on the High Score List.

http://www.fileplanet.com/203609/200000/fileinfo/WolfMAME-Plus-0.106--Emulator

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 12:04:07 am »
There is an unofficial version of WolfMAME .106 for Linux, but before the acquisition it was not accepted by TG for submissions.  Not sure if that has changed, but I doubt it.  You are welcome to submit Linux MAME scores to MARP though, and you can even get pre-compiled x32 and x64 versions of WolfMAME for Linux up through .134 from wolfmame.marpirc.net.

-George
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Twitch Streamer

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:02:24 am »
Alright im running a virtual machine inside ubuntu linux of windows XP, and i am using wolfmame now. PHEW :o 8)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:04:27 am by SQUIIDUX »

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 09:20:49 am »
also can be run in wine :D so i got that rolling too

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:29:08 am »
also do you think that running wolfmame in linux through wine would be acceptable for score submissions? ???

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 09:53:06 am »
also do you think that running wolfmame in linux through wine would be acceptable for score submissions? ???
Should be acceptable - Yes
Is acceptable - At MARP Yes; Not sure about for the DKForum score list; Probably not at TG if you make the mistake of admitting to them this is how you played.

Frankly I think the DKForum score list requirement of Wolf.106 only is just silly.  Wolf.106 is very old now and MAME has moved forward since then.  Requiring Wolf.106 makes less sense to me then it would to say the list is Arcade only.  Comparing MAME across MAME versions is generally going to be closer than comparing MAME to arcade.  What's more there are other MAME scores already on the list that were not Wolf.106 scores.

-George
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 10:08:31 am by gstrain »

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 11:02:26 am »
then why did i do all this work to get wolfmame running on linux? can we get this info seconded?

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 02:27:51 pm »
Frankly I think the DKForum score list requirement of Wolf.106 only is just silly.  Wolf.106 is very old now and MAME has moved forward since then.  Requiring Wolf.106 makes less sense to me then it would to say the list is Arcade only.  Comparing MAME across MAME versions is generally going to be closer than comparing MAME to arcade.  What's more there are other MAME scores already on the list that were not Wolf.106 scores.

I'm not super savvy with the wolfmame versions. I've heard it said that the reason only v106 is allowed is because it is the only version that doesn't allow for pauses. Is this not the case?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 03:11:04 pm »

I'm not super savvy with the wolfmame versions. I've heard it said that the reason only v106 is allowed is because it is the only version that doesn't allow for pauses. Is this not the case?
Nope, that is completely untrue.  Pauses are disabled in all versions of WolfMAME.  The whole point of WolfMAME when it was created by MARP was to have a more "secure" version of MAME that disables pausing and that tracks recorded speed information to make sure the game was played at 100% speed (or very close to it) with no slowdown.  Every version of WolfMAME has both those features.

-George

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 04:46:50 pm »
Actually I'm a bit surprised by this. I hadn't noticed.

I knew that we had a WolfMAME rule, which I agree with, but I didn't notice when the rule became 0.106 specifically, which I don't agree with.

Count me as a vote favor of any version of WolfMAME being acceptable!

Now that TG is out of the picture (for me) I do all of my playing in Wolf .140.

Newer MAMEs are superior for a number of reasons (more games, like D2K, for one thing, NOT having to use sound samples for DK and DK Jr., for another, but the list goes on), and newer Wolfs maintain the no pause/playback speed tracking feature. I don't use .106 at all anymore other than to playback old INPs.

INP and savestate compatibility, by the way, is the only argument I can see in favor of keeping .106, but how much of that do we even do? By sticking to a very outdated MAME version, we're making some sacrifices.

http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 06:34:11 pm »
i just used .106 and you can definitely pause it. honestly i like my version of sdlmame, or my advanced mame running on my raspberry pi, i guess i just dont see why any mame version isnt allowed. as long as there are no pauses or speed issues....(also or what operating system it is running on)(maybe have the requirement that you have to have the fps/speed % displayed while playing....[press f11 usually])

WHILE RECORDING YOU CANNOT PAUSE, i misunderstood what were were trying to do there
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:48:24 am by SQUIIDUX »

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 06:36:30 pm »
With Wolfmame, you just can't pause while recording inp's. Any other time , you can pause as normal.

Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

corey.chambers

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 07:23:08 pm »
SQUIIDUX, I am the one who manages the High Score List, and some of us have been discussing a similar issue on that thread as well. I am responding there because I would like to have any discussions that will effect the high score list on that thread so that I can find it for future discussions. Check out the High Score List thread for my response.

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 09:13:39 pm »
Just wondering what frontends, or gui do you guys use with wolfmame above 140, or do you just run it all command line.
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer