Author Topic: 4 way restrictor for your X-Arcade  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
4 way restrictor for your X-Arcade
« on: November 20, 2020, 04:38:31 pm »
I just finished watching NWnike finish off his 5 million point Qbert and after he showed his controls and talked about how much it sucks to use the X-Arcade in 4 way mode. There is a solution (or a few)

The easiest is to buy a 4 way restrictor plate and add it to your X-Arcade. You can buy it here https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=310... I'll include a picture of one install on one of my sticks.

Another one, you can swap out that stick with a real WICO or a knock off. This is better but then takes away the 2 same sticks to play Robotron...

Hope this helps someone.
-Ken
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline NWnike

• Awards
Re: 4 way restrictor for your X-Arcade
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 07:42:11 pm »
Hey Ken, I did see what you said at the end of my stream. I love my x-arcade. That being said, I lost A LOT of men due to the stick not doing what I was trying to do.  It didn't really matter to my game but I just hate losing men. Never have those problems on a cab.

I don't really see anything in that picture. Even if I did install a gate I would still have to angle my setup to get proper diagonal controls. I appreciate the advice and thanks for stopping by!
Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 07:21:04 am »
So what that restrictor does is more guide the stick shaft in a more diamond shape making hitting the corners much easier as well as limiting it mechanically from hitting 2 switches at a time causing you to go the wrong way or no way at all. Its not super easy to see in the clear plastic but its there and useful.

As for changing the orientation of 4 ways would be more work but could be done with an adapter plate under the enclosure. I made one for mine that converted a Nintendo stick to fit. I'll see if I can find it and post a picture to show how I did it.

-Ken

Offline NWnike

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 07:24:29 am »
I will definitely look into this. Thanks for all the info. Hell, it would almost be worth it to get a Qbert console and try to rig it to USB input.

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 07:28:39 am »
This is the plate I made to put a Nintendo stick in my old X-Arcade.

Offline NWnike

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 07:42:46 am »
Nice! I'm pretty happy with the stick overall, I just can't find a good setup for Qbert. I Don't intend to play a lot more Qbert on MAME. Mostly I just toy with seeing what kind of 5 man score I can get. Since I always do stupid stuff at the beginning that doesn't go too well. I think my best is 325kish. That is more fun to me now than going long hours on MAME, when there isn't much regard given to playing on MAME.

Offline VeryApe121

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 07:29:14 pm »
Nice! I'm pretty happy with the stick overall, I just can't find a good setup for Qbert. I Don't intend to play a lot more Qbert on MAME. Mostly I just toy with seeing what kind of 5 man score I can get. Since I always do stupid stuff at the beginning that doesn't go too well. I think my best is 325kish. That is more fun to me now than going long hours on MAME, when there isn't much regard given to playing on MAME.

There might already be a 3d-printable restrictor.  Talk to Firebird.
"GET SLAMMED NERD" - Ape Jr
Member for 5 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer