Author Topic: Steve Wiebe's 885k DK recording recovered:  (Read 4388 times)

Offline FBX

• Awards
Steve Wiebe's 885k DK recording recovered:
« on: November 13, 2020, 07:08:59 pm »
On August 30th, 2001, Steve Wiebe recorded a score on Donkey Kong of 885,900. I recall receiving this tape in a box of various tapes from Walter Day, and when I informed Walter about it, he seemed to go into a weird panic and asked me to ship it back immediately. The tape was never seen or heard from again (I have no idea what TG/Walter did with it). However, I have some exciting news from an archival perspective:

Before sending the tape back (and I completely forgot my brother and I had even done this), we made a digital backup recording of the entire run. My brother (Mike), was doing some file cleanup on an old hard drive and actually found the digital backup we made! The digital recording documents the entire run from start to finish, so I'm pleased to have recovered something thought to have been completely destroyed and long gone!

I'm currently uploading the video to Google drive, and will report back with a download link.
Member for 3 Years

Offline FBX

• Awards
Member for 3 Years

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: Steve Wiebe's 885k DK recording recovered:
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 08:12:30 pm »
AMAZING. Thank you so much for finding this and making it available.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Kibbey93

• Nibblayyyyyy.
    • Twitch.tv
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 08:31:27 pm »
jry stats go brrrrrr
DK Masters - Rank D Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 09:09:06 pm »
Thanks again to the Morrow brothers for making this possible:

jry stats go brrrrrr

"soon"
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ersatz_cats

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 09:54:23 pm »
This is incredible!!!! Thank you for this!

Any chance Billy's 1.014m was saved the same way?
Member for 6 Years

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 10:39:04 pm »

Offline FBX

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 11:13:01 pm »
This is incredible!!!! Thank you for this!

Any chance Billy's 1.014m was saved the same way?

It was actually just incredible luck and normally would not have happened. My brother and I were not in charge of arcade scores, and Walter accidentally sent the tape in a box of several tapes meant to be digitally archived. When I reported the tape to Walter, he immediately ordered me to send it back. I had completely forgotten we had already made an AVI of it to be used for web site promotions. The digital recording survived through 4 computer upgrades over the years as my brother was a digital pack rat.

One thing I should point out: Billy's sycophants immediately wanted the score disqualified because Steve used a DK Junior cabinet. Seriously, that's how petty they were about anyone else threatening to take the DK crown. Now compare that to video tapes with direct feed, no audio, and MAME signatures. Walter didn't seem to mind accepting those, did he?
Member for 3 Years

dwayne

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 02:50:05 pm »
No one knew about this score.  Walter was the first one in contact with weibe.  So retract the billy psychophants charge.  It us on an original board.  Weibe said he never had a working original board. Only the free double he got from Roy.

So weibe lied.  He had a pile of dk boards he claimed he never had in kok.  Weibe ain't no hero just a different type of whore!

dwayne

Offline TheKD

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 03:17:42 pm »
No one knew about this score.  Walter was the first one in contact with weibe.  So retract the billy psychophants charge.  It us on an original board.  Weibe said he never had a working original board. Only the free double he got from Roy.

So weibe lied.  He had a pile of dk boards he claimed he never had in kok.  Weibe ain't no hero just a different type of whore!

dwayne

Dwayne, just to be clear. Are you saying you believe the video posted in this thread was done on an original Donkey Kong board?
Member for 4 Years

Offline FBX

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 11:15:27 pm »
No one knew about this score.  Walter was the first one in contact with weibe.  So retract the billy psychophants charge. 

Not retracting it because I witnessed it first-hand when I posted a clip of it. Mr. Harris (or however it's spelled) was the first to immediately start screaming that the score should be DQ'ed when he saw the DK Junior cabinet in the video clip.
Member for 3 Years