Author Topic: I sort of like where the competition for Donkey Kong is at right now  (Read 3087 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Right now, competition in the Donkey Kong community is super strong.  The Donkey Kong record got broken this year.  We have had five new Donkey Kong top 10 scores this year.  We even had what was once thought of as a nearly unbeatable score in DKJr get toppled.
But here's what I like about what's going on in the community.  People aren't doing this for financial gain, and the fame that was once associated with being a great Donkey Kong player is basically gone.
So why is there competition?  Because people are doing it for the love of the game.  They are doing it because the top scores on this game are out of this world great, and they love the challenge.  And they are doing it for the respect of their peers.
So right now, the hobby is at a good place in my mind.
So a big thank you to all the players who are taking on Donkey Kong, and the Donkey Kong series.  Almost all of you are doing it for great reasons.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: I sort of like where the competition for Donkey Kong is at right now
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 06:45:54 pm »
the Kong series is as hot as its ever been.

there's only one major kong title that hasn't had its record broken in the 12 months.  <stirpot> <popcorn>
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 07:53:15 pm »
the Kong series is as hot as its ever been.

there's only one major kong title that hasn't had its record broken in the 12 months.  <stirpot> <popcorn>
Yep, my scores stick out like a sore thumb.  It's not the first time I've seen all three other major Kong records fall during my reign.  8)

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline diskborste

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 04:29:51 am »
Forgive my ignorance, but which players, excluding Billy/Steve, have done it for financial gain? The hourly ROI must be horrible!
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 06:47:07 am »
Forgive my ignorance, but which players, excluding Billy/Steve, have done it for financial gain? The hourly ROI must be horrible!
I can't read people, but more money was involved. We had a Kong Off in Pennsylvania that offered $5,000 in prize money. There was a Donkey Kong Online Open that paid out over $1,000 for a record on multiple occasions. The open was every three months.
But don't forget the fame. Back in the day when you broke the record you were in a lot of media sites for breaking the record.
Hank Chien had a mini documentary. He was on Fox News. Now Kataku most likely won't even publish the story, and they're a gaming site.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard