Author Topic: Phil Tudose crushes the Donkey Kong Jr. World Record! 1,478,000!  (Read 11422 times)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
If you've been paying attention to the DKJR submissions the past week, you won't be surprised to learn that the great Phil Tudose has taken the #1 spot in Donkey Kong Jr. with an absolutely massive score of 1,478,000! He beat the MAME WR on July 23rd with a 1,398,400 effort. That was quickly followed up with three 1.4M scores that were just shy of Mark Kiehl's arcade and overall record: the legendary 1,412,200 set on May 23, 2013...the first Jr. game to pass 1.4M and a 63,200 improvement on the record. Today, instead of just undershooting the 1.412M, Phil rocketed past by 65,800.

Although the game was played on The Island, it was replayed later in the day on the DKF Twitch channel:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/696940513

Some scores are great, but this one is legendary. In my opinion, Phil has cemented himself as the greatest DK platformer player of all time. Congratulations, sir. Can't wait to see what's next.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 07:36:07 pm by xelnia »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Phil Tudose crushes the Donkey Kong Jr. World Record! 1,478,000!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 10:00:28 pm »
Big congratulations. Phil must be stoked. I mean, his goal was 1.44 to 1.46 million. So this is better than even what Phil was gunning for. Getting two 20k jungle stages is otherworldly. Averaging almost 10k on the chains is epic. Getting 90k on your men great. Having everything click at once is the stuff of legend. I think this might be the highest score of the decade, it's so good.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 01:19:09 am »
Absolutely incredible score, cobba!

This game was absolutely flawless. Execution was spot on, barely any missed points throughout the whole run. Really amazing stuff.

There's only one strat he hasn't implemented yet and thats the delayed 1st apple on the jungle screen. It's a little more luck based but I predict another 50k can be added to this score using that. Death points can't get too much higher and neither can the start so realistically I think we're looking at low-mid 1.5m as the max possible score right now.

There is very little skill & strategy based meat left on the bone. The tudose trip (TM) on the springboard basically maxes out that screen and you're mainly at the mercy of randomness on the hideout/chains. Riley's jackpot method on the jungle is quite interesting and may be worth looking into a bit deeper.

Hope you keep pushing this one up mate. I know you've got some left in the tank!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 03:18:03 am by Barra »
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 03:21:42 am »
Getting two 20k jungle stages is otherworldly

I don't think a 20k average is out of the question with delayed 1st apple strat
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 05:56:16 am »
Getting two 20k jungle stages is otherworldly

I don't think a 20k average is out of the question with delayed 1st apple strat
From my short experience with it, it's more a break glass in case of emergency move. Unfortunately on average it seems to actually give you a lower score. I could be wrong though. But on the last level, and you have nothing left to lose, and you are desperate, yeah it's definitely something to go for.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 10:33:02 am »
This is a fucking amazing score.  Seems like you can do anything you feel like putting your mind to, Phil.  What's next on the hitlist?
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
  • Mario Bros. Arcade World Record Holder.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 10:49:39 am »
GOT EM!! And Kongrats Sir... Kreygasm <Allen> Kappa
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
  • Why not play some Space Panic today?
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 11:01:58 am »
Member for 10 Years

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 02:42:48 pm »
jryyyyyy, ty for stats and everything you do for the community! just short of 10k chain avg.. y

barra is right about the delayed apple, and i agree that rileys jackpot method is also worth another look...ive had mixed results with both, but when it works.. IT WORKS! riley, you are a legend! im patiently waiting for the day you have some extra time to start playing jr and dk3 again

im prob going to fire up some dk here and there to continue getting used to the keyboard. dk3 also on the table as the DK MASTERS continues to stay hot. thanks to everybody that came to hang out in the dkf stream last night, that was fun...

weehawk lol classic
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 02:59:03 pm »
Shit i thought you were posting a 1.5 score when i saw you posted Phil Kreygasm. Great score sir. Complete inspiration. For sure money to be had with leaving both fruit on yhe jungle i tried 2 times yesterday day and both times had 7 smashes on both boards with the 2 fruit. 19k+ didn't leech them out was really just messing around. It will be alot of luck involved. But lots of points if you get lucky.
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline kalel

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 03:28:00 pm »
 After i beat Mark it only took him 3 weeks to beat me . This score may not be beat for 3 yrs ! . Dammmmmnnnn. Thats huge. Great fing game Phil!
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 04:43:40 pm »
the great Phil Tudose

Amen to that
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 08:38:37 pm »
From my short experience with it, it's more a break glass in case of emergency move. Unfortunately on average it seems to actually give you a lower score. I could be wrong though. But on the last level, and you have nothing left to lose, and you are desperate, yeah it's definitely something to go for.

It definitely averages higher but we do need more data. In my 1.3m game I used it up until L12, averaging 2.7 smashes. From L13 onwards I averaged 1.2 smashes

Corey used this technique for the full game however he didn't drop that fruit at all on levels 18 and 19. Excluding those two, he averaged 2.625 smashes with the first apple over a full game.

The only other game that (presumably) used this technique is Mark's 1.4m but unfortunately we don't have the data/video for that one.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:54:36 pm by Barra »

Offline Mitch Mitchell

• Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 11:30:45 pm »
Unreal man. Congrats on such a massive feat.
VS Duck Hunt - 3,502,900
DK - 985,400
Member for 6 Years Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 01:41:13 pm »
kongrats again Phil! You're a big inspiration mate. Can't wait to see the scores you will get on other games.  Kreygasm
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer