Author Topic: Better Late than Never  (Read 19792 times)

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
Better Late than Never
« on: May 08, 2013, 03:40:56 pm »

Ok,  So I decided to look back at the photo's I've taken of my high scores since I began my quest.   I took the data (scores and date, dip switch setting) and compiled a chart and some graphs. I haven't been keeping any data since I began streaming, but I could always reference my recording history if need be for future analysis. 

I got my DK and Pac-Man cabs the day of Hurricane Sandy.  I was able to play them for about 2 hours, before the power began to flicker,  I immediately turned my new babies off.  The power was out in my neighborhood for a week, due to a downed power-line in my backyard.  The following Sunday the downed line was replaced with a tight-rope taught speed job. 

November 5th begins the DK adventure, I played for about a week and a half on 5 man settings, followed shortly thereafter by my first CAG PCB issue (another lost week).  I had now switched to 3 men and was in need of some motivation (lacked progress) around the 350K mark and went to the "end of the world party" at Knuckles arcade;  I watched Hank play a complete game to the Kill-screen at around 930k, asking him questions the entire time (In retrospect, I can't believe he dealt with me so well, while playing).  That night gave me the motivation to get back at it. 

Around the end of January I had a few games where I had run over 200K on a first men and my confidence was beginning to grow.  On january 26th and 27th I had two games just under 600K; 596600 on my first and only game of the 26th (New PB by over 100K) and then a 595400 on sunday the 27th.  On january 31st, I awoke to no power in my house, I looked out back to see that the tight-rope had snapped in a wind storm during the night.  I went to work and came home to find a replaced power line and a house filled with broken (surged) electronics.  It would end up as a $900+ settlement with the power company and 3 month electrical upgrade in the house.  For the next 3 weeks I had no DK, due to a blown monitor and fried PCB. 

After 2+ weeks of DK jonesin' I went to Knuckles on a random Friday to play me some DK, I arrived to meet a small long haired gentlemen by the name of George Leutz, totally oblivious to who he was or what he was doing.  By the end of the night, I had gone from DK to Q*bert watching, and promised George I would "return to talk your ear off" on Sunday.  I watched over 13hrs that Sunday and made some amazing new friends, but more importantly, George motivated me in a way words can not describe.  As a side note, my cab actually got fixed the Saturday during George's marathon, but I refused to play it until he finished his game.

I purchased my webcam the night after George's marathon and the rest is history!

I want to thank everyone who ever stopped by my stream and kept me company, you guys rule.  Here is the summary data set

In this chart I plotted days played rather than days since first game.  I did this to remove the error associated with the 3 week hiatus due to explosion.  When I did this, I got a much different (higher) value for progress rate, nearly 52,600pts gained per high-score increase, on 3 man settings.

(CORRECTION: I noticed that because this chart only includes high-score data points, It would be unrealistic to assume that these were the only times I played.  That being said the slope of the line (M value) is not in the units of pts/days played, but rather, Points gained/high score.  In reality, all of the M values, in the first and third figures, are in the units of Points gained/New high-score; Basically it shows the average number of points gained each time my high score increased.)

Additional photos of every high score game and some first man personal bests can be seen in this folder , just make sure to sort the folder list by "oldest first"

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/bilythekid_lvdc/library/dk%20progress
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:23:59 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Better Late than Never
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:05:02 pm »
Nice, dude! Niffty charts! Any chance you will make some of these for MS. Pacman (turbo/normal)?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 11:27:40 am »
Ms. Pac-man speed-up chip arrived yesterday.  Installed the chip, returned the cab to 3+1 dipswitch setting and managed to score 172,180 in 2 or 3 hours of play. My goal for today is 200k

Thanks again Jeff, you are the man!

UPDATE to OP:

(CORRECTION: I noticed that because this chart only includes high-score data points, It would be unrealistic to assume that these were the only times I played.  That being said the slope of the line (M value) is not in the units of pts/days played, but rather, Points gained/high score.  In reality, all of the M values in the first and third figures are in the units of Points gained/New high-score; Basically it shows the average number of points gained each time my high score increased. )
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:54:16 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 10:15:18 am »
You're going to rock the Ms. Pac-Man, buddy.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 11:14:18 am »
Ms. Pac-man speed-up day 2:  played for about 2 hours after work and hit 183k followed by 184230 to end the session.  I need to learn to be patient (there's no timer) and I still have some timing issues to work out with the joystick/turning execution.  I also will need to work on grouping for the screen without the energizers...

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 11:46:49 am »
How many boards are you clearing? Are working on JRTFBDN or grouping with the hold spots or whatever? I don't know a lot about Ms Pac strategy but you can eat ghosts all the way up to the 18th board or so right?

This is the game that might actually push me to buy an arcade stick for my computer...
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 02:14:42 pm »
I believe I made it 29 screens (+/-2)

I am grabbing all the ghosts on the first 4 screens when possible, Also the first screen of  Red, Blue and Pink(they have longer energizers) and then I JRTFB from there on out.

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 08:41:02 pm »
Took a trip to the Knucklez Arcade today.  It was really looking great; they've added a minimum of 7 more games by optimizing the floor space and the walls are slowly filling with more and more epic CAG schwag. I'd say that around 25 people came and went in the 2.5 hours I was there, but I did have my face buried in a cab, facing the back wall.

I was surprised to say the least, when I walked over to the KO1 machine and hit 1P start only to see the Mighty Kong go climbing the girders with a Jumpman in his hand.   Apparently, the Role-reversal ROM's had been swapped into this cab.  So, I had my first experience with Pauline tonight.  It took me about 3 or 4 games to get the hang of a different 4-way joystick and the different sprite size (jumpman vs. pauline), specifically back-jumps. 

Final conclusions:  The game is the same, don't get lost in sprite differences, just rely on your "learned-feel" for the game and it will play identical.  I remember around level 15 looking down at pauline and thinking "man, I can't remember the last time I even noticed that I'm not playing DK".  My game ended at 672200 on the level 17 springs, It was Freeko's fault, as always.

Who's gonna up that Pauline WR next?  Manhole, what?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:03:27 pm by f_symbols »

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 11:40:10 am »
Blog Update, timely, as always.

http://www.twitch.tv/f_symbols/c/2846979

This is my 12400 from yesterday, I see a possible loss of 3700 points, assuming the "perfect" finish, maximum points gained, no effect on other outcomes of the screen, only gains.  16k hype, Kappa YSG, etc.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong or have missed anything, I would appreciate the feedback :D 

100pts-  Barrel down broken ladder on bottom girder
200pts- Crossing 3rd girder to right; barrel from 4th girder did not steer
500pts- Fireball smash was awarded at 300pts
800pts- Fireball lost at end of bottom hammer
100pts- Barrel that steered down middle ladder 3rd girder before YOLO jump
100pts- Barrel down right-side broken ladder 4th girder (possibly a 200pt gain, depending on resulting groups under Kongs ladder)
100pts- missed group at long ladder left side 4th girder
100pts- Missed 3 barrel grouping at the 1000 bonus time
300pts- Barrel down the broken ladder on the 5th at the end of the hammer cycle
100pts- Barrel down broken ladder after the hammer expires (bonus timer at 300pts)
100pts- There was time for a single 2x100 on the top girder

2500pts "missed"

Note: there was 1 wild that was lost, I could have re-jumped the single blue barrel at the 1300 bonus timer mark and had 2 missed fireball leaches on the 2nd girder before the bottom hammer (100pts ea.); this gives another 400pts. 

The ultimate optimism suggests that both fireballs would have had enough time to reach the 5th girder for the top hammer, 800pts more each.  That's another 1200 possible pts with the above 400 and the 2nd fireball smash.  Yet, another possible outcome for the second fireball would be to assume that this fireball never came into existence; the blue barrel, from which it was generated, could have been successfully steered into the first hammer, resulting in only a 700pt gain rather than the 800 as a fireball.

So either outcome would give between 1100 and 1200 more "theoretical points" in the perfect situation.

Adding the above 1100pts to the 2500pts from the first section gives 3600 (3700, assuming the 2nd fireball smash) possible points?? ?? ? :o :o :o :o wht da

Theoretical max scores for this screen would have been as follows..

12400 + 3600 = 16000
12400 + 3700 = 16100

BibleThump everywhere

I hope I am using Vincent math...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:26:36 pm by f_symbols »

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 04:58:56 pm »
Here is what I believe to be the "Final Draft" of the Hit-box Diagram.  Fingers crossed...  ;) 

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 05:02:09 pm »
Hitbox in the manhole...

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 11:07:23 pm »
I just don't want this to get lost...

Donkey Kong Paper Art

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 11:19:05 pm »
Wht da.  :o

Well... a challenge is a challenge.

Ethan, you know what you need to do.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 03:13:50 pm »
Today I reached a major milestone on pacman CE DX; 130M for "game mode total".  My time investment was approximately 2.5 years and there were MANY MANY times that I felt I would never make it; I finally got the ghosts? off my back.

Sigh.  That is all, ty for reading that.   ;)

EDIT:  What a long strange trip it has been
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:16:06 pm by f_symbols »

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 03:26:26 pm »
Today I reached a major milestone on pacman CE DX; 130M for "game mode total".

Oh yer. Congrats buddy!