Author Topic: What could be the death of competitive arcade gaming  (Read 2911 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
What could be the death of competitive arcade gaming
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:50:10 am »
I've noticed something in recent years.  The price of arcade machines has gone up and up and up.  Sometimes 3 to 4 times the price.  Games that used to cost 2 to 3 hundred dollars now cost 2 to 3 thousand dollars.  Collecting classic arcade games has been more popular than actually playing arcade games competitively for some time now.  For instance, it's come to the point where a person will get more likes on Facebook for having a Donkey Kong 3 machine than if someone were to break the Donkey Kong 3 record.
So what will happen if we continue on this trajectory?  Two main things.

1) It will become simply unaffordable for the average person to buy an arcade machine to go for a world record.
2) The people who own these machines will not want to have strangers playing their machine for a record.  The machine is simply too valuable now to be played on like that.

So it seems to be that if this trend continues that many people will simply continue to play on MAME and simply forget going for the Arcade World record.  I think this will result in MAME records finally being equivalent to their Arcade counterpart.  So the death of Competitive Arcade Gaming won't be because the machines will fall apart, it will because they are simply too expensive to play on anymore.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:03:33 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: What could be the death of competitive arcade gaming
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 10:29:50 am »
The bubble will burst at some point.  It rose predominantly because people my age opened arcades, arcade/bars with nostalgia for the 1980's and that era of games.  The pay by the hour model became like the pay by the ounce frozen yogurt stores that popped up everywhere a few years back (of which very few have now survived).  The arcades want popular games, naturally for their public facing venue so the Froggers, DKs, Galagas, etc all rose in price from an average of like $400 to $800-$1000 or so now for an average to slightly above average game with no issues.  The rare games have always been valuable as a collector niche, the Major Havocs, iRobots, whatever.  So now you have both the common games increasing in price (somewhat dramatically) and the rare games holding their price...for now.

The recent arcade fad will be replaced by something else new at some point, the older collectors will become too old to repair games and their knowledge will be only available on internet forums/posts and those that have kids probably will end up just selling their galaxian cabinets as their kids gravitate to whatever latest technology hits the market. 

Tl/dr, arcade game prices will bottom out as new arcades close down with supply heavily outweighing demand at that point.  I haven't followed too many dedicated arcade hardware attempts on TG or whatever but I imagine any lack of new score attempts on dedicated hardware has more to do with a lack of a mainstream driving force of curiosity (King of Kong for example) than it does the fact that hundreds of people are searching but can't find/afford a dedicated Bubbles machine.  Those Bubbles fans are the truly sadistic anyway. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:33:46 am by TheSunshineFund »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Pearl

• Canadian STG
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 10:53:01 am »
some shmups are atleast $2000-$3000 because of collectors

thanks collector dads that dont even play the game
dot dodging
Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 01:43:48 pm »
The future is still, and always will be, MAME. Code lives on long after cheap plywood cabinets.

The only mistake  <Billy> made was not embracing the future publicly to help move the hobby into the future. He could have been a hero to the people instead of a heel.  Kreygasm
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 02:01:48 am »
Increased collector prices is the cost we have to pay for barcades. Say what you want about a lot of them, but if nothing else they allow copies of these games to actually exist out in the world for people to use them how they were intended. It's easy for me to say as I've basically got every game I ever wanted with very few exceptions, but I'd much rather games be in public locations even partially working than in pristine condition in some dickhead's basement to be used once a year if that.
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member