Author Topic: A few ideas...  (Read 15976 times)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
A few ideas...
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:07:08 pm »
1) A new "lounge"-type forum section, or sub-forum in the "General" category. In the absence of a chat room it might be nice to have an area for non-DK related topics or a place for people to hang out when they're just lurking this site...as I often do.  :)

2) Some stickies in the several sub-forums to help new players or players new to streaming. For example, how to deal with MAME/romsets, how to set up a quality Twitch stream (settings, hardware advice, etc), perhaps some stickies on DK cab repair/maintenance. I'll admit I'm no pro at these various things so it would probably take a community effort.

3) Corey's great effort in compiling the high score list makes me think that DK could use some more quality historical archiving. So, even though this is a forum site, it might be nice to have an "About Donkey Kong" sort of page, and pages or threads that explain the histories of the the DK sequels, clones, related games, etc.

As you can tell, these things are probably more interesting to players new to DK and new to the DK community, so I wouldn't be bothered at all if they don't fly!  :)
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: A few ideas...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:32:20 pm »
Something that would be neat would be to have the top 10 scores posted on the header of this website. There's a big gap in the middle of the header to the right of the forum title. That would be a cool spot for others to aspire to get to that header page view versus the whole list. I know updating the header would be harder than just the thread, but not that often someone cracks into the top 10.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:33:53 pm by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:56:30 am »
Yea, or post the top 12, since that is the cutoff for making the KO3 I believe.

Then again, your score has to be verified by TG to get into the KO3, and I think a couple in the top 12 haven't been yet?

Either way, it would be cool to see 'who's in', and what the cutoff score is for making it in and who's at risk for getting bumped to the 'unlucky 13' spot.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:49:42 am »
I also like the idea of having the top 10 or 12 scores listed on the main page. Maybe a small see more link right underneath that would lead people to the Donkey Kong High Score List - making it a little more visible.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 11:23:00 am »
I pictured a little something like this, and I like the "see more" link you mentioned right under it for ease of finding the whole list. BUt, not sure how easy it is to put it in HTML.

Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:44:51 am »
I think I could probably do that, but the issue is that anything that is in the main header is visible on every page of the forum. I'm trying to figure out how to make it collapsible like the profile info and the search/news fields are.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Fast Eddie

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 11:52:40 am »
like the front page Top 10, cool idea...

there should probably be a 'High Scores' subforum to put the thread in and for people to announce scores? i guess the leaderboard is technically a list but it seems a bit out of place and hidden away down there...

8)

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:09:00 pm »
like the front page Top 10, cool idea...

there should probably be a 'High Scores' subforum to put the thread in and for people to announce scores? i guess the leaderboard is technically a list but it seems a bit out of place and hidden away down there...

8)

That would be fixed with Corey's suggestion of the "See More" link below the list to bring you straight to it from the home page.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 05:15:15 pm »
I pictured a little something like this, and I like the "see more" link you mentioned right under it for ease of finding the whole list. BUt, not sure how easy it is to put it in HTML.

Nice, Dave.  As I mentioned last night, I also tried to put something together, to see how it would look:

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 05:37:45 pm »
That looks good too Scott, actually I was going to say to Jeff to keep the date And platform. It should reflect Arcade/Mame since Hank is still the WR holder, it would be misleading otherwise.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 05:52:40 pm »
That looks good too Scott, actually I was going to say to Jeff to keep the date And platform. It should reflect Arcade/Mame since Hank is still the WR holder, it would be misleading otherwise.

Yeah, the only column I omitted was the "Source" field, both to save space and because the information wouldn't be as meaningful to a casual observer.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 06:29:27 pm »
Yeah, it's easy in Photoshop. Unfortunately in PHP it ends up looking like this:

Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

corey.chambers

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 06:46:09 pm »
Hopefully there can be some kind of solution. I really like the idea of having the top scores on the main page. If a list or graphic won't work, then what about just a link to the Donkey Kong High Score List to make it more visible so that people will click and see what the top ten players are.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 04:17:17 pm »
Jeff, the Shoutbox is amazing. My only suggestion -more of a question that people can debate about the answer- would it be better to place the Shoutbox near the bottom of the screen?

It seems like scrolling back to the top of the page gets a little 'hiccup' due to the chat (and having to scroll through that as well) being in the way. Also, if it were near the bottom, people could easily see what members are actually online, without having to scroll.

I don't know if the forum php setup even allows for this, but it was just an idea.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline VectorGamer

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 08:04:27 am »
1) A new "lounge"-type forum section, or sub-forum in the "General" category. In the absence of a chat room it might be nice to have an area for non-DK related topics or a place for people to hang out when they're just lurking this site...as I often do.  :)

Why isn't there an "off topic" forum to talk about anything like sports, music, movies - anything?

What about an "introductions" forum where members can post their backgrounds and members respond by welcoming them to the forum?

How about a "video gaming" forum where we can talk about modern/classic console/computer gaming?
Star Castle (Vectrex) Champion Of the World!
PAPA 20 Ghostbusters Champ
Member Of the Billionaire Club
Member for 8 Years Blogger