Author Topic: My 2020 Classic Video Game Hall of Fame inductees  (Read 6194 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
My 2020 Classic Video Game Hall of Fame inductees
« on: January 15, 2020, 09:37:43 am »
OK, this year I'm putting in 7 different people because the Baseball Hall of Fame put in 7 people in it's fourth year of existence, and this is my fourth year of existence for this Hall of Fame.  This time I'm going all Donkey Kong related players.  Ironically I still have about 3 Donkey Kong related players I could put in.  I didn't put in McCurdy because he simply hasn't been doing it long enough just yet.  Still I think all seven people are clearly deserving.  Also Rogers and Mitchell aren't get out because I don't believe in kicking people out of the Hall of Fame.  O.J. Simpson is still in the NFL Hall of Fame.

OK, the players.

Mark Kiehl:Mark has been the best player combined in Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior for a good five years now.  He's been undisputed Donkey Kong Junior Champion for almost seven, and first got the record over 10 years ago.
Tim Sczerby: Very first person to beat the Donkey Kong record in the modern day.  He's also pretty good at Dragon's Lair.  Time to give recognition to Tim.
Robbie Lakeman: I consider his back and forth rivalry against Wes Copeland to be the greatest back and forth high score competition in the history of video games.  Robbie also is great at Super Pacman, and a few other arcade games.  He's well deserving in my book
Wes Copeland: The other half of the greatest high score rivalry in video game history.  He also got a sub 5 minute Super Mario Bros. Speedrun
Phil Tudose:  No one has played Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, and Crazy Kong better as a whole.  1.14 million on Donkey Kong,   1.32 million on Donkey Kong Junior, and an amazing 811k in Crazy Kong.  What he's done with Crazy Kong deserves a round of applause
Andrew Barrow: Probably the greatest at ALL 4 Kongs from the 80s.  Great at DK3, DKJr, and very good at Donkey Kong, and Crazy Kong.  But it doesn't stop there.  He also is the biggest winner any classic gaming competition, winning a cool $10,000 for Galaga.  He's also held the five man Galaga record at one time.  A lot of games that I'm good at Barrow is actually better than me at.  Because we have the same taste in video games I have a very strong idea how good Barrow is, and I know for a fact that he's incredible.
Steve Wiebe: Last but not least is Steve Wiebe.  Without him, a lot of classic video gamers wouldn't even have been involved.  I remember when he was trying to go for the record on the now defunct G3 channel.  I remember seeing this, and being inspired to jump into the hobby.  He also was the record holder in Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Junior.  Only Mitchell from the 80s can also claim that.

Amazingly, despite the fact I only included Donkey Kong series related players, there are STILL a few I couldn't squeeze in.  Just goes to show just how strong the competition for this series of games has been over the years.

Players from the past who were elected.

Donald Hayes
Billy Mitchell*
Matt Hall
Dwayne Richard
Todd Rogers*

*Both Todd Rogers, and Billy Mitchell were kicked out of Twin Galaxies after they were put in my personal Hall of Fame.

Martin Bedard
Tom Votava
John McCallister

Dean Saglio
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:41:12 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: My 2020 Classic Video Game Hall of Fame inductees
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:32:19 pm »
Ty sir I am honoured but I think Ben should make any DK HoF list before I do. First person to get the DK trifecta, 2nd to the RBS etc. He was doing DK masters before it was even a thing :)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 05:47:51 pm »
Interesting list, George.  I agree with just about 95 percent.  Pardon the ignorance, but what about Justin Kvithyll (Zerst)?  Already covered in previous years, or not yet worthy?

Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 06:39:14 pm »
To be honest, I erased Ben Falls name at the last moment. It was either him or Tim, but because I decided to just go with people related to the Kong series, I couldn't not have Tim in because how he was screwed over by the King of Kong. No way I way I was going to screw over the first modern day Donkey Kong World record holder like the movie did.
As far as you Barra, it was the super clutch win in the $10,000 Galaga tournament that put you over the top. Ben Falls is great. Still the Popeye record holder, but he doesn't have any major tournament wins.
As far as Zerst, I decided to go with a Donkey Kong series theme this time around. Every single person I picked I think deserves the Hall of Fame. Zerst will eventually get his turn. No doubt about that.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 06:42:44 pm by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 06:47:48 pm »
To be honest, I erased Ben Falls name at the last moment. It was either him or Tim, but because I decided to just go with people related to the Kong series, I couldn't not have Tim in because how he was screwed over by the King of Kong. No way I way I was going to screw over the first modern day Donkey Kong World record holder like the movie did.
As far as you Barra, it was the super clutch win in the $10,000 Galaga tournament that put you over the top. Ben Falls is great. Still the Popeye record holder, but he doesn't have any major tournament wins.
As far as Zerst, I decided to go with a Donkey Kong series theme this time around. Every single person I picked I think deserves the Hall of Fame. Zerst will eventually get his turn. No doubt about that.

In a barrel!
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline creech

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 02:31:22 am »
I know this is all in fun, but you mentioned picking Tim because he got screwed over, ironically you are screwing Ben over if you are going with a Kong series theme. I think if you look at the scores Ben is a top player in all Kongs, and he has been doing it before going for Dk records was a thing.

Looks like you are including DK as the main factor and then considering other records, but not great scores and contributions. For instance, Max Haraske just passed Ben for the Popeye record, but does that diminish the 2nd place score? Ben never won in  tourneys? he won CAGDC championship twice. Dude has so many great scores it's unjust to not have him on the list. He's a pioneer. Ross has contributed so much in his DK play that he should be on the list for that alone. I could easily go on.

I don't want to harp on, I just want to say that there's other great players on this list that weren't included, I just wanted you to know that if you were left off this list, that there are plenty of people that recognize your accomplishments and contributions, and are plenty thankfed, recognized, and respected.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 02:56:39 am by creech »
Member for 4 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 06:03:07 am »
It goes to show just how many amazing players have played Donkey Kong.
People who are still Amazing that play Donkey Kong that haven't been picked.
Hank Chien
Jeff Wilms
Ben Falls
John McCurdy
Ross Benzinger
Ben Jos

The truth is, if I had left out Tim Scerby for Ben Falls people would say Tim got screwed again. If I leave out Andrew Barrow for Ben Falls people complain about that.

Again, with Barrow, I have a pretty good idea just how good he is because he's focused on many of the same games I focused on. He won the biggest cash money tournament for a classic video game tournament of all time. He took out the future, and current Galaga champ in the finals.

There was no way I was leaving out Barrow.
The only questionable pick I have is Tim Sczerby. And even in that case he broke the Donkey Kong Arcade record 20 years ago. So he has time on his side.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline creech

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 06:18:55 am »
barra is the best all around kong player period. I'm not sure what type of criteria you are going for. Barra is the best all around player on kong games period he is also the best galaga playr and many other games at a young age. Instead of trying to compare him , its been fun watching him kick ass

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 06:21:02 am by creech »
Member for 4 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 07:30:01 am »
To not have Benny on the list is kinda silly.You look at Benny's scores. Huge scores years ago. A vet is what he is. Plus you add on Popeye, Satan's Hollow, frogger,Zelda,Moon patrol, the list goes on and on. Benny is one of the all time best. As Barra said Benny was a DK master before the Masters. I know it's all opinions. But Benny should plan and simple be put up there as one of the best arcade player period. I don't know of a game he's not good or great at. I'm not sure what you were going by all kongs or just Donkey Kong. Robbie and Tim would easily not be on this list if it's all kongs.
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener Winner of a community event DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 07:48:49 am »
I luv the fact that you made a list George it's very thoughtful.
I think Jerry's list. Is probably the best if I we're just going on the kong games alone. And it's the 10 people ont the DK Master list. Everyone on that list should probably be automatically enshrined Kreygasm.
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener Winner of a community event DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 10:00:46 am »
Not to pile on too much but one final point is that Ben is one of the most supportive and nice guys in the hobby while putting up big scores. While other people are whinging about how they've been slighted or threatening to sue people Ben is just out there making others better.

I remember a CAGDC mini-tourney at the PNW Gameshow a number of years back when I was still active at Frogger and Ben watched me play and gave me a bunch of pointers on how to improve. This is in the middle of a competition on the actual game.

If MLB can take ethics and sportsmanship into account for Cooperstown I think you can too.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 11:27:13 am »
Rather than thinking how Ben Falls should have been among the list, who exactly should I have left out?   I had seven slots, and each and everyone of the seven slots are well deserving in my mind.  That's why I don't feel any real guilt leaving him out.  The seven people I listed are ALL well deserving.  And yes, so is Ben Falls.  His time will come.  :)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 12:10:53 pm »
George, you really should be charging people for the right to submit CVGHOF candidates and the right to vote.  Even at $125 a year you'd be giving them a 50% discount on IVGHOF pricing, similar benefits, and a more reputable group of inductees: http://www.ivghof.info/membershipdonatesponsor/
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 12:27:02 pm »
George, you really should be charging people for the right to submit CVGHOF candidates and the right to vote.  Even at $125 a year you'd be giving them a 50% discount on IVGHOF pricing, similar benefits, and a more reputable group of inductees: http://www.ivghof.info/membershipdonatesponsor/
ROFL ROFL ROFL

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard