Author Topic: Amazing play can totally destroy a game at times  (Read 2034 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Amazing play can totally destroy a game at times
« on: January 14, 2020, 10:45:49 am »
Yeah, this may seem very counter intuitive, but I've seen it enough to know it's real.

What I mean by this is that sometimes your play can be so good that you step back mentally from the game, and think, "how did I do that?"
This can happen two ways.
1) You get out of a situation that seems to be certain death.  This is probably the worst.  Because it's almost certain to shake you out of your focus like someone just slapped you in the face.  In some ways you would have been better being killed in that situation because at least your focus remains in tact.
2) The other type is more the slow burn type.  You slowly but surely are making a fantastic run on a game only to realize late in the game that you are making an amazing run.  With this, the problem of "How did I do that" is that self doubt can creep in.  You also might play dangerously conservative to the point that you are no longer playing a game you are used to, and the conservative game you are playing actually is killing off more men.  With this, the best bet to just to focus one board at a time.  Easier said than done though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:07:13 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Verminator

• Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!
    • Awards
Re: Amazing play can totally destroy a game at times
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 04:41:53 pm »
Yes, some games appear to me to be much more difficult when I watch a video of myself playing them compared to when I am actually playing them.
Berzerk (Fast Bullets/No Patterns) = 58,780
Berzerk (Slow Bullets/No Patterns) = 195,000
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years