Author Topic: Looking List of Most Competitive CAG Games  (Read 3089 times)

Offline SuperPlayer10

• Awards
Looking List of Most Competitive CAG Games
« on: January 09, 2020, 08:16:53 pm »
Hello,

I have been looking for a list of the most competitive CAG games. I know that Donkey Kong is by far the most competitive CAG game, followed by Galaga and Donkey Kong Jr. (These games are the only CAG games that I know of that have their own communities), But I don't see as much activity for the other games. The closest Iist I have found is this link, although some games seem out of place in terms of the tier list, like Paperboy and Mario Bros being in the same tier as Donkey Kong: http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php?topic=3356.0

For those that are aware of speed running, speedrun.com has a section where you can check out how active a game is. From there, we can determine how competitive a game is for speed running.

I checked out the Twingalaxies number of players per arcade game, but that doesn't seem to be a good measurement of how active a game is. For example, Pengo shows as having 90 players, but there has only been one score submission in the last decade (https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/pengo/arcade/points/page/1?ref=fbshare).

If anyone can be of help, that would be great.

I also posted a variation this on TG a few days back, but it seems that threads over there need to be approved before being public.
Member for 4 Years

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Looking List of Most Competitive CAG Games
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 10:11:34 pm »
Hello,

I have been looking for a list of the most competitive CAG games. I know that Donkey Kong is by far the most competitive CAG game, followed by Galaga and Donkey Kong Jr. (These games are the only CAG games that I know of that have their own communities), But I don't see as much activity for the other games. The closest Iist I have found is this link, although some games seem out of place in terms of the tier list, like Paperboy and Mario Bros being in the same tier as Donkey Kong: http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php?topic=3356.0

For those that are aware of speed running, speedrun.com has a section where you can check out how active a game is. From there, we can determine how competitive a game is for speed running.

I checked out the Twingalaxies number of players per arcade game, but that doesn't seem to be a good measurement of how active a game is. For example, Pengo shows as having 90 players, but there has only been one score submission in the last decade (https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/pengo/arcade/points/page/1?ref=fbshare).

If anyone can be of help, that would be great.

I also posted a variation this on TG a few days back, but it seems that threads over there need to be approved before being public.
This is sort of complicated.  If you are looking at long standing competition over a 35 year period that's a pretty good list.   Some things to note.  This forum did not exist in 2011.  Why is that important?  Because even Donkey Kong 3, and Crazy Kong have become a lot more competitive since this forum has been created.  Just look at the top 10 of both of these games, and you'll see that most scores were achieved within the last decade.  Even Mario Bros. gets some decent amount of action.  With the Kongs think Super Mario Bros.  Even Super Mario 2 and 3 get pretty good speed running competition.

After that, Robotron is definitely a biggie.  I don't think we've had a lot of new blood recently, but the game definitely has it's competitors.  One thing.  Five man settings is the important settings for this game.  This game has stood the test of time, and if you can even last 10 minutes on 5 man settings you become a total legend.

Now it becomes a little bit different.  Since you are into speed running, I recommend going for a perfect Pac Man speed run.  Not many have done it recently, but any person that breaks this record it's definitely a big thing.

Other game where there seems to be a lot of submissions over the years
Moon Patrol
Galaxian
Centipede
Milipede
Ms. Pac-man
Elevator Action
Mappy(This game was huge in Japan)
Nibbler (The Documentary helped competition a tad bit)
Dig Dug
Track N Field
Frogger
Zoo Keeper
Defender
Rally X

"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 10:15:51 pm »
Also there are a couple of other sites you can check for submissions
Marp http://replay.marpirc.net/
Aurcade http://aurcade.com/
Retro Uprising http://www.retrouprising.com/

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 12:03:00 pm »
Lots of games red hot right now. And when I say red hot. That's like 5 people or more playing them. Pooyan has it's own site now red hot. Maybe check out the Facebook group Arcade highscore group they name a few games for the month and people have there way with it.
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener Winner of a community event DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Lyriell

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 01:34:28 am »
Came here to post about Pooyan, but I see Gilly is all across it.

Hot hot hot!
Member for 6 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Winner of a community event CK Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline SuperPlayer10

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 11:46:18 am »
Homerwannabee: I didn't mean to cause any confusion. I was attempting to look for a list of CAG games that are still relatively active, with a decent competitive history behind them. I understand CAG games aren't nearly as popular as other competitive genres, like speed running, or PvP (MOBA, Fighting games, FPS, etc.), so I knew this was going to be tough to do, aside from the obvious ones, like Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., and Galaga. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the CAG games (I have a personal record in Mario Bros of 1,069,760 and 119,920 in Frogger, before I stopped playing those two games, due to other priority commitments).

The reason why I initially asked about this, is because I would rather devote more time to the more competitive games. I am re-attempting to get into the CAG games, competitively, after a few years away from them, and because I want to maximize the value of my time, I want to focus on games that are most active. You might say that I should play a game that I truly love, but besides Mario Bros, there isn't a CAG game that I am particularly in love with. I just love games and competition, as well as the fast-twitch feel and the nostalgia of the older games.

Also, I am aware of MARP. Thanks for the other links, though.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:55:01 am by SuperPlayer10 »
Member for 4 Years

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 01:26:51 pm »
Homerwannabee: I didn't mean to cause any confusion. I was attempting to look for a list of CAG games that are still relatively active, with a decent competitive history behind them. I understand CAG games aren't nearly as popular as other competitive genres, like speed running, or PvP (MOBA, Fighting games, FPS, etc.), so I knew this was going to be tough to do, aside from the obvious ones, like Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., and Galaga. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the CAG games (I have a personal record in Mario Bros of 1,069,760 and 119,920 in Frogger, before I stopped playing those two games, due to other priority commitments).

The reason why I initially asked about this, is because I would rather devote more time to the more competitive games. I am re-attempting to get into the CAG games, competitively, after a few years away from them, and because I want to maximize the value of my time, I want to focus on games that are most active. You might say that I should play a game that I truly love, but besides Mario Bros, there isn't a CAG game that I am particularly in love with. I just love games and competition, as well as the fast-twitch feel and the nostalgia of the older games.

Also, I am aware of MARP. Thanks for the other links, though.
But the games I gave you are relatively active with a decent competitive history behind them.  I've been around the hobby for about 10 years now.  I even gave you more sites to help you along in your quest.  I'm not sure where I went wrong?  And yeah, Pooyan is hot at the moment. 
But yeah, Frogger and especially Mario Bros has a following.  One million is epic for Mario Bros.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard