Author Topic: Dig Dug - Round 1 Dirt Clearing Pattern  (Read 2852 times)

Offline jerky

• Awards
Dig Dug - Round 1 Dirt Clearing Pattern
« on: January 09, 2020, 08:19:06 am »
Here's a round 1 dirt clearing pattern that doesn't require any pumps until just before the final rock drop. Tested in MAME on Rev 1 and 2 romsets.

Not a valid youtube URL[/youtube]

More to come ;)
Member for 7 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member

Offline jerky

• Awards
Dig Dug - Round 2 Dirt Clearing Pattern
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 10:28:17 am »
Round 2 dirt clearing. No pumping required until the rock drop. Rev 1/2 medium difficulty.

Happy Gaming!

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Dig Dug - Round 1 Dirt Clearing Pattern
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 02:12:41 pm »
Very nice. For comparison Donald had 17590 and I had 17000 after 2 on our record games. 18990 is killing it.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline jerky

• Awards
Dig Dug - Round 3 Dirt Clearing Pattern
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 09:22:37 am »

Last one for now...I need to get back to work on dialing in round 12-31 ;)

Happy Gaming!

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 11:00:53 am »
Total respect to you for being a pattern maker. Even if you never get the world record there's a very high chance someone will use your patterns in their world record run.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline jerky

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 01:02:35 pm »
Very nice. For comparison Donald had 17590 and I had 17000 after 2 on our record games. 18990 is killing it.

Using all three dirt clearing patterns above along with my other ones you can now score around 147,350 points by the end of round 11. That's without any extra dirt digging on rounds 9 and 11 where I have one monster left.

245 to go!

Offline jerky

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 01:17:59 pm »
Total respect to you for being a pattern maker. Even if you never get the world record there's a very high chance someone will use your patterns in their world record run.

I was surprised that you could come up with patterns like this that worked consistently even on the early rounds especially without pumping up enemies until the last rock drop. It almost feels like playing Pac Man with all the predictable close calls and escapes. There are probably multiple approaches to these early rounds that would produce similar results but I have no problem with others using these if it helps push the limits further even if by a few thousand points...or just for fun!

Save states also really helped speed up the process which is why MAME is so great for figuring games out. Back in the day this would have taken weeks if not months of replays to work out not to mention a bunch of quarters.

But it doesn't seem likely that you could keep coming up with stuff like this much farther into the game though. Eventually the number of enemies, their speed and quicker ghosting will likely shut down fun stuff like this or you will have to turn to your pump much sooner to make it work...then it's very hard to keep a consistent pattern going without lots of variations to deal with.

Ultimately you will have to leave two monsters at the end of a round and grind out the digging like the WR holders have...although I can see being able to pattern that to a certain extent (round 12+ for example).

Happy Gaming!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 01:19:39 pm by jerky »