Author Topic: There might be better CAG things to do than getting a DK killscreen  (Read 2633 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Yes, in a sense I am a complete hypocrite.  Getting a Donkey Kong killscreen, and the circumstances around it were well worth the time and effort.

Having said that an argument could be made that there are better things to do with your classic gaming time.

For instance, getting a perfect Pac Man is a much rarer thing. Or getting 900k on Ms. Pac Man.

You could also get a couple of world records on some rarer games. I am pretty sure getting a record on the Arcade/MAME game Hunchback would be easier than getting a DK Killscreen.  There are hundreds of games like Hunchback that are just waiting for a person to get a record.

Also, which actually gets more hype around the common person?  Having a killscreen or a World Record?

90% of the population doesn't have a clue what getting a killscreen even means.

But 99% of the population understands what World Record means. 

Why am I posting this?  Because too many people think getting a DK Killscreen is the end all be all.  I feel that many Arcade/MAME games get neglected as a result.

There is WAY more to the Arcade game universe than Donkey Kong.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline NWnike

• Awards
Re: There might be better CAG things to do than getting a DK killscreen
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 05:51:56 pm »
As one of the more recent people to start really trying to improve, I will say, for me, getting a kill screen is not the end all/be all. Would it be cool? Definitely. Yet, I just wanted to get better. Donkey Kong was one of the first video games I really liked. I never liked Pac-man or Space Invaders. So when DK came out, it mesmerized me. I never got good at it though because it took too many quarters... and I just sucked. Not too long ago a classic games "barcade" opened in my hometown and now I have plenty of quarters. So I started playing it again, scoring somewhere around 25k. I got good enough to get to the level 4 elevators but couldn't beat them. I found this forum looking for help with that. I'm still learning but this game is special to me. I've never watched King of Kong so that has no meaning to me whatsoever. For me, it is about me, and a game I've always loved.
Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
Re: There might be better CAG things to do than getting a DK killscreen
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 09:25:44 pm »
Not many more games more iconic than DK. And considering the game has 🐝 out since 81. And what maybe 100 people have Killscreened. I would say it's a major accomplishment.But then again it's just my opinion and you know what they say about those.
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer