Author Topic: Battle of the Arcades 2019  (Read 5067 times)

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Battle of the Arcades 2019
« on: April 14, 2019, 03:20:06 pm »
Battle of the Arcades 2019 will feature five arcade teams from across the world competing on 12 classic arcade titles. Please drop by the streams to say hi and root on your favorite team.

April 27th and 28th (all times Eastern)

Scoreboard: https://www.battleofthearcades.net/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/battleofthearcades/

Teams

36th Chamber: playing from a private arcade in the Seattle Area. https://www.twitch.tv/sante2
Play hours: Saturday April 27th from 12pm to 12am Eastern and Sunday April 28th from 1pm to 7pm Eastern.

2084: playing out of Supercade in southern California. http://twitch.tv/flyhec
Play hours: Saturday April 27th from 12pm to 12am Eastern and Sunday April 28th from 1pm to 7pm Eastern.

Galloping Ghost Arcade: Brookfield, Illinois. http://twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade

Morristown Game Vault: Morristown, New Jersey. http://twitch.tv/danman123456
Play hours: Saturday April 27th from 11am to 11pm Eastern and Sunday April 28th from 12pm to 6pm Eastern.

Netherworld: Queensland, Australia. http://twitch.tv/netherworldarcade
Play hours: April 27th/28th from 6pm to 6am Eastern and again April 28th from 4pm to 10pm Eastern.

Games

Mario Bros. (2-player)
Space Duel (2-player)
Black Widow
Congo Bongo
Crystal Castles
Elevator Action
Marble Madness
Mr. Do!
Pole Position
Punch-Out!!
Track & Field
Tron

Offline francoisadt

• Awards
Re: Battle of the Arcades 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:46:22 pm »
Thanks a lot for all the twitch links!
Member for 10 Years

Offline bestcellar

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 08:43:49 am »
Looking forward to it! I’ll be playing for team GGA
Member for 9 Years

Online kalel

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 07:22:06 am »
The 36th chamber team was short a 10th player so to fill the team and not have to take 0s i have agreed to play . This definately will not be like last 2 i played in, i will be lucky to be top 20 overall lol.3 games i have never played . 3 games i havent played in 35 years 2 games im just not goodd at and a couple i should do well. Got 1 practice session in on most at sams house and the others today when i get to seattle . what will help me is knowing what median scores should most likely be . i am curious what everyone is thinking median scores will be . i know what E.A. will be . what P.P. will be and a good idea about crystal castles. And congo bongo. ( still curious what everyone thinks they will be )  and i have no clue about the others ?   Good luck to everyone this weekend . Above all else , make sure to have fun!😀
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 02:42:12 am »
great to see you back in action, kasper! good luck in the tournament
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 08:21:54 pm »
BotA is an important event and must live forever!
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 07:40:44 am »
Had a blast.  Thanks to Ross, JohnBart, all the team captains and everyone else who helped organize.  Found a couple of new-to-me games that I really ended up liking after not having played them before the tourney, like Crystal Castles and Black Widow.  Also did a great beer trade with Ethan.  Thanks mate!

We had a couple of locals play that had never played in a tourney before and their enthusiasm was really fun to see.  "Hey! That's Donald Hayes!", yup and he's on your team, man.  One of them qualified on our team as well which was cool.  Reminded me of when I played my first tourney <Pigger> and it kind of energized me as I hadn't really played anything since Yolympics, have sold most all my games and lost a bulk of interest in games generally.  The enthusiasm of the new players was contagious though (as was the coughing everyone was doing I think). 

It's just super fun to get everyone together and go take dinner breaks, get help/give advice on a game, drink more than a few beers, etc.  Twitch and other mediums are great but playing together in person is really just the best.  I was getting a bit of a lack of interest vibe at times when reaching out to folks but after seeing the results both at GGA (awesome job) and locally, once everyone got to the arcade there was certainly zero lack of interest and everyone had a great time.

Let's keep this thing going.

In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 08:48:05 am »
Thanks for playing Wags and everyone else.

I've had a bit of CAG burn out myself over the last year or so and I've replaced playing the games with staying involved in the community in different ways. This event reminded me why I got involved with the community in the first place and has given me some new energy as well. I think it's ok and natural to need a break or a change in pace. For those who got back into CAGs due to KoK it's been over 10 years now of fun, drama and characters. If you want to see what happens when you don't change you can look at  <Pigger> 's site or the last year of <Billy> 's saga.

Change is inevitable and good but it doesn't always need to be stepping back or stepping away. Sometimes just a shift to the side helps with perspective and allows you to find the reasons why you got into the hobby in the first place.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online kalel

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 10:06:30 am »
 I was going back over scores. WOW GGA fucking killed it . kencade was never that dominate . great gaming you guys . Hopefully i get to play again next year and actually get to really practice the games so i can help my team back to 1st place . The way GGA is playing. That is easier said than done.  I also want to say thank you to my team for including me again. It was a great weekend. !
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline bestcellar

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 11:44:17 am »
I was going back over scores. WOW GGA fucking killed it . kencade was never that dominate . great gaming you guys . Hopefully i get to play again next year and actually get to really practice the games so i can help my team back to 1st place . The way GGA is playing. That is easier said than done.  I also want to say thank you to my team for including me again. It was a great weekend. !

It was a great weekend! I really do hope it happens again next year (rather than the typical once every two years it has been)

Thank you so much for the kudos!

We all worked really, really hard on this, and practiced together as a team on a weekly basis (usually on Monday nights), which is why were able to pull off the win. To be honest, this event really heavily weights prep and a priori knowledge ;)

Leading up to this, the only games I had significant experience with were Pole Position, Track and Field, and Elevator Action. I had never really played any of the other titles. I basically worked up the other 7 titles over about 4 months and finally got decent at some of them. I really began to enjoy several of the games, but I have to admit, there were a lot of rough weeks where I was stuck on a particular level or part of a game (particularly with Marble Madness and Mr. Do!).

I have to say - this was a really well-selected group of tournament games. Many of the titles lent themselves to close, tight scoring, and Mr. Do! is a game where you might only be able to score 170k on a bad day even if you were otherwise a 300+k player.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:44:52 pm by bestcellar »
Member for 9 Years