Author Topic: Australian Kong Off 3  (Read 32058 times)

Offline HectorTelloc

• Awards
Re: Australian Kong Off 3
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2019, 05:49:25 pm »
I don't get what you guys are bitching about. Richie and so many others work hard to put this event together. Walter and Billy were brought out because they have name recognition, they know how to present themselves, and despite the whole controversy they were major stars in an indie film which still makes them marketable. Their names are linked to Donkey Kong, and if it weren't for them, Donkey Kong wouldn't have been as competitive as it has been for all these years.

I get why you guys wanted to destroy Billy's reputation and credibility, but what I don't get is why you guys bitch about it when I don't see any of you guys doing the hard work to put together your own events. You guys won for fucks sake! What more do you want? For the Kong Off's to stop? You guys know damn well Richie is good buddies with Walter and Billy, so of course he is going to include them, of course he is going to tap into Billy to help draw attention to it. If that bothers you, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! It seems like you guys just want this entire community to just die off. But if removing Billy is your goal I can't see why you guys can't create your own events. Promote them, and slap some sort of celebrity into the mix. What's the point of this forum if you guys can't even unite to do something positive, it seems you can only unite when it comes to destroying people, and before you get into the semantics of that, you guys did destroy Billy's reputation - whether that is good or bad is up to interpretation. Outside of that, if you aren't going to do anything about it, then shut up about it.

Good lord. The guy cheated. For years. He stole recognition from other people so he could succeed. If this were any other kind of competition, he wouldn't be allowed anywhere near an event. If these events want to be more legitimate, they have to stop inviting him to compete in them, and they definitely have to stop letting him compete while giving him special treatment like they did at this event. It de-legitimizes the whole thing. And quit blaming his critics. They didn't cheat. They aren't lying about it. Nothing bad that happens at these events or to this community is because of them. Billy is the one who caused all this and continues to lie and perpetuate it for the sake of his own livelihood, his own paychecks and notoriety, and the paychecks and notoriety of his friends and family. He will literally walk over any you for the sake his own success and self preservation. Do you respect him? Have no doubt that he would step on every aspect of your existence if he thought he had to in order to keep his place. That is a fact.

At Gen Con in Indiana recently, my friend witnessed him attempting to get a perfect Pacman score, and when the machine lost power he threw a tantrum, hitting the game and cussing everyone out. Over a video game. What a class act. He must hate doing all this shit at this point, but it's his job. All he's got is his charisma, and when his patience is rattled the real Billy comes out. This is the dude you are defending. A cheating prick. And yet the community is the problem, not Billy. Right.

I'm not saying that the community is the problem, I'm saying if the community wants to rid itself of Billy, then it needs to start hosting its own Kong Offs far from his lackeys and everyone tied to that group. Yet somehow that hasn't happened yet....To be honest I thought that was the plan all along, but here we are bitching about this...I mean Richie has gone on the record saying if Billy killed a man, he'd be right there helping him dump the body. Something like that on the East Side Dave show.

I'm not bashing Richie, I don't think anyone else can pull off an event nor has the work ethic or skills he has, not to mention the showmanship. But Billy is his good buddy, and even if that changed this forum seems to have alot of authority when it comes to Donkey Kong. It's cutey little scoreboard has been recognized by national press, and it's way more credible than Twin Galaxies, who pretty much is a score board littered with cheaters. You guys know folks who know things about the game that not even the programmers knew, and you guys got a guy who created freakin hardware to create better streams.

Having control of the event, with stable leaders would open alot of doors, problem is I'm sure you guys can pull most of it off - except promoting it, getting sponsors, and having someone there who is a great host and a bit of a personality. That's the reason why Richie has been successful, and why he brings Walter and Billy. But...that conflicts with alot of people for so many reasons.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 05:52:38 pm by HectorTelloc »
Member for 8 Years Blogger

Offline elbee85

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2019, 02:58:27 am »
I'd like to congratulate the (at least) 15 players that scored higher in this Aussie Kong Off than in their previous appearances:

Sean Tagg
Greg Pell
Shaun Ruhland
Chris Jennings
Derek Broadfoot
Aaron Raynor
Neil Cairns
Luke Bushell
Charlie Milne
Mike Coolican
Adam Williams
Steven Riding
Marc Bell
Rhi Coolican
David Clarke

I obviously have a lot to say about everything else, but at the end of the day it's us vs. the monkey, and these players stepped up in a tournament setting. I don't know if these are all PBs for these players, but they all did a great job regardless. Congrats!

Thank you. This event has driven me to play a little more seriously and to make a goal of getting a KS and to continue to improve over the next 12 months. Others I know on that list have similar intentions which is one of the good and positive things to come from this Kong Off.

I believe Shaun Ruhland's and Sean Tagg's are PB scores. Unsure about any others.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:00:57 am by elbee85 »
Member for 5 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline VeryApe121

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2019, 06:43:41 am »
\

I'm not saying that the community is the problem, I'm saying if the community wants to rid itself of Billy, then it needs to start hosting its own Kong Offs far from his lackeys and everyone tied to that group. Yet somehow that hasn't happened yet....

You mean like the Kong Klash at Vortex arcade?   FailFish

"GET SLAMMED NERD" - Ape Jr
Member for 5 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2019, 04:09:41 pm »
We need to bring back the online Kong Opens so all the mates and yanks can play together. We'd need to scrape together a small prize pool and work out the logistics of streaming head-to-head matches with commentary, but I think it could be an absolute blast.

Offline BillyGaines

• L=22
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2019, 04:43:02 pm »
We need to bring back the online Kong Opens so all the mates and yanks can play together. We'd need to scrape together a small prize pool and work out the logistics of streaming head-to-head matches with commentary, but I think it could be an absolute blast.

I was lucky enough to have started my Kill Screen chase when these tourneys were in full swing.  Now that I'm in full dad mode it's hard to find the time to play a game that lasts longer than a 5 year old's attention span.  I too would love to see the online tourneys return.  My favorite was the one during the 2015 Holiday season that also featured an Allen Off.  There were a lot big games.  One player, who shall remain unnamed, submitted a recorded game in an attempt to win an early bounty if I recall correctly. But the  <snek> shut that down in record time.  Pretty funny stuff. 
"If at first you don't succeed then maybe you just suck." - Kenny Powers
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2019, 06:27:57 am »
I'll start the prize pool for a new Kong Open with $50.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline HectorTelloc

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2019, 06:33:20 am »

I miss those, or the Allen Off spinoffs. We lost some good things due to the split in the community.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2019, 10:00:58 am »
http://
I'll start the prize pool for a new Kong Open with $50.
We have Kong Klash
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline colecomeister

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2019, 04:47:36 pm »

I miss those, or the Allen Off spinoffs. We lost some good things due to the split in the community.

I'm not aware of any connection between BM's ban and Kong Opens - the only barriers to the revival of a virtual tournament is personnel and logistics (not to minimize them, it's a significant investment in time and energy to lead the charge)
Member for 6 Years

Offline muscleandfitness

• Pie Kicker
  • Elite Member
  • Wall jump WR Holder x3
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2019, 03:16:56 am »
WHT DA FTT AUSTRALIAN BILLY MITCHELL LIT .... <Allen> <Allen> <Billy> <Billy>
59 wall jumps new world record on mame
55 wall jumps on a cab New World Record
longest convener ride in dk history New World Record
World Record for standing behind oil can until end of lev
A Reverse finish on Rivet  board. 12 ks's HS 992900
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline HectorTelloc

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2019, 05:26:22 pm »
WHT DA FTT AUSTRALIAN BILLY MITCHELL LIT .... <Allen> <Allen> <Billy> <Billy>

*Clicks non existent likes button for Alien Staal*

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2019, 07:21:23 pm »
100% agree. I've thought about this a few times. With streaming and discord there is no reason we can't have commentators and some head-to-head tournament action going on. I'm down for something in a few months once I get my head outta my arse and get my cab capped. (Someday)... This could be fun. 2 Weeks for qualifying and then over the weekend head-to-head double elimination brackets. Oh yea!

DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline HectorTelloc

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2019, 08:33:34 am »
I miss those as well. Eric Tessler did a great job when he did his own thing with that. You guys should get someone on Facebook to post updates, or a facebook page dedicated to this and events related to Kong type things. Really get the hype going and build an audience outside of this forum. That's how I learned about this community, I didn't watch King of Kong until later.

Offline mameshane

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2019, 02:59:09 am »
100% agree. I've thought about this a few times. With streaming and discord there is no reason we can't have commentators and some head-to-head tournament action going on. I'm down for something in a few months once I get my head outta my arse and get my cab capped. (Someday)... This could be fun. 2 Weeks for qualifying and then over the weekend head-to-head double elimination brackets. Oh yea!

head to head double eliminations sound fun. you could maybe even do 2 divisions. an opens and a not yet killscreened division.
Member for 9 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Lyriell

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2019, 05:09:16 pm »
I do believe there should be a double elimination bracket.  (for lack of better term - losers bracket)
So if you lose a head to head match, you fall down into the losers bracket.

Technically, this should give provide us with a ton of 'fairer' matches as the top 16 winners will not be going straight up against the 16 losers, it also helps offset some of the 'luck' in DK. 

I personally am more excited in seeing two 200k players go head to head than I am about seeing a 200k player go up against a killscreener.

Not sure that they'd go for it though.

Member for 6 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer