Author Topic: The boom in Australian Arcade gaming  (Read 2644 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
The boom in Australian Arcade gaming
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:28:37 am »
The U.S. is about 13 times the size of Australia, but a curious thing is happening there.  There has started to be a huge uptick in Arcade/MAME players from there.   The last Aussie Kong Off was a good example as the place was loaded with people. There might have been more participants than the actual Kong Off.
I've also received a lot of friend requests from Australian game players in the past year.
Who knows, maybe I am imagining things, but it seems the Australian growth in Arcade gaming seems to be phenomenal.
Who knows, maybe they'll make a statue of  <Allen> some day for being a pioneer in Arcade gaming there.  8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: The boom in Australian Arcade gaming
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 10:58:35 am »
The US has tons of options now with the recent boom of arcades.  I'm literally an hour or less drive from 8-10 different arcades all with 50-200 games in them.  It's a lot easier to just drive 20 minutes than to fly somewhere in the US for an event so unless there's like 100 of my mates going, I'll probably just hang local.  In Australia, I doubt these multitude of options are available most places so really well done, big events will be much more attended I think. 
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Fly

• Awards
Re: The BOOM!!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 11:12:54 am »
They went from almost no events to double the events? Triple? QUADRUPLE!!?!?!!? How big is the BOOM! Really, I'm just wondering.
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 11:24:52 am »
Admit it; This thread exists solely to try and promote the idea of an Allen statue. Not that I disagree, I just prefer to be more direct.
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 11:26:57 am »
For instance in the first Aussie Kong Off the 16th place was 77k.  In the Kong Off II 16th place was 266k.

Just an example on how the competition ramped up.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Lyriell

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 09:06:28 pm »
Well I suppose the birds need somewhere to perch and crap on :D

Just kidding!

I think it's getting better...
The arcade scene was DEAD in Australia until recently.  Like stone cold dead.

Member for 6 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Winner of a community event CK Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Robert

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 03:05:27 am »
I thought all the Australian arcades had died out ages ago.
Member for 5 Years