Author Topic: Donkey Kong High Score List General Discussion  (Read 324296 times)

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong High Score List
« Reply #480 on: July 04, 2013, 08:47:34 pm »
the score is official to me. viewed by 30+ ppl in the community live by an already proven 1mil+ player. doesnt get any better than that baby
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #481 on: July 04, 2013, 08:58:48 pm »
because this is corey's list he should have the final decision. we all know what we saw tonight, but should it count? the answer is with corey until the list is 100% community owned. either way corey, we got your back.

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #482 on: July 04, 2013, 09:00:45 pm »
oh and update my score before the robbie rule takes all of your focus! thanks brother. we'll get you a walter day ref  jersey... start growing that beard too!  8)

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #483 on: July 04, 2013, 09:28:03 pm »
im calling it the lakeman loophole.
TALK AMONGST YOURSELVES!

hchien

« Reply #484 on: July 04, 2013, 09:37:14 pm »
Congrats Robbie!  Sorry I missed it. 

Can someone explain to me the controversy?  Was it MAME, not recorded?

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #485 on: July 04, 2013, 09:46:46 pm »
Congrats Robbie!  Sorry I missed it. 

Can someone explain to me the controversy?  Was it MAME, not recorded?

yeah hank. robbie doesnt record .inps when he plays. i was unaware of the rules for the high score list but it seems that other scores have been rejected recently due to not having an inp as proof
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

lakeman421

« Reply #486 on: July 04, 2013, 10:12:44 pm »
I have been using mame for practice until I get a real cab, so I don't record INPs.  I don't submit mame scores and havent bothered with it.  I have been streaming my gameplay just in case a game like this were to occur so people could see a great game.  It is more of proving myself live and practicing the pressure of people watching. 

ChrisJBenn

« Reply #487 on: July 04, 2013, 11:56:13 pm »
I'm going to submit this 396,300 score I just got. Video is here: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisjbenn/c/2525583

My next goal is to disregard score entirely and just reach 12-1!

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #488 on: July 04, 2013, 11:58:27 pm »
My gut feeling here is include Robbie's score on the HSL, as well as Christian Van Meter's killscreen score...and then offer an apology to Jason (Cheetah) for not including his first submitted score of 209k. I completely understand the need for scrutiny, integrity, etc. and would understand the omission of Robbie's score, but I think we can do better as a community when it comes to this High Score List.

The biggest problem right now is that this thread and the rules list are so gigantic that the slightest changes go unnoticed. Odds are many people won't even see THIS post. To answer Robbie's question in the Shoutbox, the move towards INP requirements started about a month ago right after I submitted a score. I included my INP simply as a courtesy and as another way for Corey to verify my score if he chose. Corey updated the rules list and stated he would allow for a "grace period", but as it stands now the updated section is simply one sentence in parentheses in the middle of a wall-of-text paragraph and I'm not sure the "grace period" was every clearly defind. I don't remember there being a site-wide announcement of the rules change and this information seemed to just be passed along as DKers chatted in Twitch streams. Why would we expect anyone who hasn't set a PB in the past month to sift through almost 500 posts and re-read a 1500 word rules list every single day to make sure nothing has changed? I just recently noticed that the minimum score for the list is now 200k, and I don't remember seeing an announcement for that. A minimum score had been discussed VERY early on in Corey's work to establish this list but was actually dropped in favor of an all-inclusive list...so that change happened with little to no fanfare.

The HSL needs to be moved to it's own sub-forum. There should be three pinned threads: 1) List Rules, 2) The Actual HSL, and 3) Submissions. Any forum member can create new threads to discuss scores, rules changes, or anything score-related as needed. Any changes to the List Rules should be announced on the front page where everyone can see it every time they visit the site.

Ultimately, there ~30 people who saw Robbie's game and don't doubt his score. Corey is in a bit of a no-win situation here, and I will accept his decision. There needs to be a plan in place, however, for the day that Corey is no longer managing this list. I hope that day is decades away and I certainly do not wish to imply anything ominous with that statement; but this list needs to be able to stand on its own within the community.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #489 on: July 05, 2013, 12:31:22 am »
+1 million

(Decades??)
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

corey.chambers

« Reply #490 on: July 05, 2013, 01:34:51 am »
The purpose of the DK High Score List has always been to serve the DK community with an evidence-based, community verified list. I created it because I saw a real opportunity to encourage players to strive for Donkey Kong excellence. I have striven in all of my endeavors to establish a list that is relevant, affordable, accountable, and certain. If you have read all of the posts which I have created in this thread you know that I am a person of integrity and that I care very much about maintaining this list “like a boss”! Even with this pride of ownership, I wish to convey that this list belongs to the community. And one day I would like to see how it could function differently. Jeremy has stated the following:

“The HSL needs to be moved to it's own sub-forum. There should be three pinned threads: 1) List Rules, 2) The Actual HSL, and 3) Submissions. Any forum member can create new threads to discuss scores, rules changes, or anything score-related as needed. Any changes to the List Rules should be announced on the front page where everyone can see it every time they visit the site.” I think we should actually consider this arrangement and see how Jeff could help us set this up. With the communities permission I would like to serve as head referee and scorekeeper if at all possible. I have to do something with this pride of ownership.   

As all of you know, the criteria has grown and developed over a long period of time. This has not been an easy process and has been hammered out through community discussions. New situations arrive all the time that require special consideration. Here is my general philosophy: I believe that there are principles that underlie the rules that are created. These principles may not express themselves in explicit ways until they must be applied to new score submissions and often this means that the way these principles are expressed in the criteria need to be made more exact. It has been my hope that this criteria has protected the integrity of the list.

For example, when Svarar put up over a million game in the manner he did and on the cab that he did, it made me think and process more and I do believe that I was able to accept his score with a clear conscience and without explicitly violating the present established criteria. In fact, thanks to Svarar, my understanding of those underlying principles have deepened and as a result I have been able to craft the criteria in such a way to accept his score without compromising the criteria. In fact, these kinds of situations only press me to better explain and define the rules. As of today, I have been fair, consistent, and have not retracted any established criteria. I plan to remain just as fervent in this matter as well. My full explanation concerning Svarar’s score acceptance can be found in this thread.

The question on the table concerns the recent addition of requiring .inp and .wlf files for all WolfMAME submissions. Somewhere between Jeremy’s score submission, Dustin’s question about using other emulators, and other’s discussing inp verification, I began to find value in the inp verification process. Not so much to have an inp for the sake of having an inp, but for the purpose it would serve. I had stated the following on the DK HSL and also in the WRC #3 thread: “Requiring people to post the zip folder containing the .inp and .wlf files allows me to verify the checksum and speed of emulation. It also requires the player to Play and Record which will automatically disallow pausing, so this will never be an issue. If someone is recording and had used cheats (if there are any for DK) then the input will not play back for me at all. This will also help with the concern of people trying to stream a MAME game that looks real through software and save-states which had been mentioned at one time. Requiring the inp and wlf files will eliminate this streaming issue. Having the files adds evidence to the list which I will hyperlink as INP in the source category. If anyone has their .inp and .wlf files for the game they have on the list, please feel free to put a copy of these into a zip folder and attach it to a post in this thread”. Hank’s words had stuck with me from the beginning of this list: “Give me a week and I can stream a 1.2M MAME game on twitch.  With a little extra effort, I could even make it appear live.” With the use of Twitch and the kind of video editing software that exists out there I recognized the need for some kind of way of addressing this issue. I stand by the purpose behind the requirement for the inp and wlf files, and I fully support the requirement itself.

In each case that has arisen over time there has been the need to more fully develop the Auxiliary rules which ends with these words: “All scores which are being submitted according to the Auxiliary Rules will be handled on case by case bases and must be peer-reviewed, and a general consensus must be given by the DK Community that the score is probably genuine.” I wrote this with the purpose of allowing further discussion concerning new situations that will test the rules and force them into a more developed form. This means that the criteria for requiring inp and wlf files are not to be interpreted in an absolute literalistic sense because they were posted to serve a particular purpose, with an express intent by its author.

The question is: “Will other forms of verification address the same concerns and fulfill the same principle?” After analyzing both Christian’s streamed game and now the game that was awesomely done this evening by Robbie Lakeman, I have concluded the following:

Those who are submitting their scores under the Normative rules will always be required to offer the inp and wlf files as part of their score submission.

However, the Auxiliary rules will follow the following reasoning:

Streams that only contain the mere window capture of Donkey Kong are required to follow the inp submission rules. This stream setup is, for lack of better words, more subject to suspicion, and could easily be exploited to falsify a game score. And just so everyone is aware that Phil’s game was not accepted merely by his Twitch performance, but because he submitted the inp file to MARP and therefore was available to me. This is important to note at this point because his stream is close to a mere window capture of Donkey Kong.

In order for the purpose behind the inp rule to be fulfilled without an actual inp file, then we will need to see additional elements in the stream.

Christian’s game is actually a monitor capture and we can see what programs are open and we can see that the MAME game that he is playing is the active window on the bottom of the screen. While ending one game, with the game still on, he begins another. This can not be done with an inp playback. While streaming, Christian, continues to move from the game to live chat on his stream and various other locations without pausing. There is an extremely low probability that anyone would be able to make a stream look like that and not have it be real! These additional elements fulfill the purpose for why I included the inp requirement.

Robbie’s game is done with a webcam pointed at his computer monitor. We can see and hear him through out and at the end. He shows himself to verify that it was him that did the score. He was able to put in his initials and restart the game without any problem, which could not be done with an inp playback or video software given that he did it upon a request in the chat, so we know it was done live on MAME. He shows his computer screen afterwards showing that no other programs where open on the computer, and that he was using the MAME program to play the game. In other words, we can see for ourselves that he does not have any video software or anything else that was being streamed to Twitch. These additional elements fulfill the purpose for why I included the inp requirement.

I am accepting the scores that were achieved by both Christian and Robbie. I will be updating these scores tomorrow and updating the Auxiliary rules as well to better explain the purpose and intent of the inp rule, and that I am allow additional evidence to fulfill that purpose.

In conclusion, I am not altering the inp rule, I am accepting additional evidence to fulfill the purpose that underlies the rule. I apologize to those whose scores were not yet accepted due to the lack of development in the criteria in this new area. I especially apologize to Robbie, since discussions of accepting his score immediately after a wonderful performance was potentially discouraging and detract from his moment. I appreciate your patience and forgiveness.

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #491 on: July 05, 2013, 01:44:33 am »
Corey, I think we all know that you've taken on a big responsibility with the High Score List, so I want to offer my thanks to you for your hard work, patience, and flexibility as these myriad issues present themselves.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #492 on: July 05, 2013, 02:05:07 am »
Great job with this project Corey.

Just my two cents -- try to avoid having this whole thing stray too far in the direction of "verification requirements" and make sure that you are maintaining a list of high scores.  From what I can tell, that's what the community wants.  If you start going down the road of "rejecting" scores that obviously happened, then the list starts becoming a list of people who were able to follow the rules as opposed to a list of high scores (which is pretty much one of the major problems with those other guys' lists).  You'll start getting Twitch chat conversations and DKF threads pop up all over the place where people are saying stuff like "yeah he's really good, remember his PR is REALLY this -- it just doesn't show up like that in the High Score List because the day he made that score this happened or that happened -- but we were all watching and he obviously did that score".  "Oh really?  Jeez, that makes a half dozen or so really high scores that aren't on the High Score List because they were "rejected" -- it's almost like we need to make another list to keep track of the actual high scores ..."

To me, a good rule of thumb is if a score happened and the person wants their score on the High Score list, then it should go on the High Score List.  You could consider tagging each score with different categories of verification such as Full Verification, Limited Verification, Claim, Rumor, etc to differentiate between the questionable and the ironclad scores, but going too far in the other direction will turn out to be a mistake IMO.

I think you've been doing a pretty good job so far in trying to accomadate the various situations that come up -- just remember that people just want to know what scores happened -- if it happened, it should go on the list.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer

Offline Ohrami

• games video
    • Awards
« Reply #493 on: July 05, 2013, 02:17:56 am »
Great post, Dean. I totally agree with everything you said. I think with how strict Twin Galaxies is, most other high scores lists have felt the need to try to follow in its foot steps. It's great to see this community-based list straying away from that "guilty until proven innocent" style. While I think it's fine for an official list of world records to be so strict, a list like this would be better with as little rules as possible.

In other (more modern) games I play, there's usually an "innocent until proven guilty" style to it, and yes, you do get some of the problems mentioned in this thread, such as people cheating (even while live streaming) and people playing on the behalf of other people, but it's really not that frequent. While some people get away with it, I think that in this comparatively much smaller community (which is also a community in which scores go underneath a person's actual name instead of an alias), we will see a lot less of that. In my opinion, in the rare instance that it does happen, it'd be better to have rules which allow those scores to slip by sometimes instead of a list which doesn't allow some legit scores inside.
Donkey Kong high score: 863,200 L=22-1 (MAME)
twitch.tv/donkyousu
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #494 on: July 05, 2013, 02:32:58 am »
[EDIT: This post was just made redundant by Corey's post, which he posted while I was writing this one. I could probably delete it, but whatever.]

My suggestion: just make the inp thing an either/or.

That is, either submit an inp, OR prove the performance through live interaction.

By "live interaction" I mean do something in the stream, by interacting with the viewers, to show that the game is happening live, such as asking the chat to call out inputs that you can then enact onscreen (wiggle Jumpman back and forth, jump three times, enter certain initials, that sort of thing). Obviously such actions would be impossible using an inp pre-recorded with cheats enabled, or slowed-down, or whatever, because you can't override or interrupt an inp playback. Upon submission, note where in the game there is live interaction. And if there's any doubt, have your witness(es) come forward and give it the thumbs-up.

Robbie's performance didn't meet the inp criteria, but it most certainly met the live interaction criteria.

The reason we can know for certain that his game is legit, and not a playback of a doctored performance, is (first) because the game started after a reset within MAME, which can't be done while recording or playing back an inp, and (second) at the end I and others asked Robbie to do specific things (put in a credit, press 1P start, go to settings menu, etc.) all of which he did without a reset, that is, with the score data still intact and on screen. The instant he started "taking requests" and enacting our inputs with his MAME state still live, the deal was sealed.

All that's left is the possibility of a hot-rodded ROMset, but that's the monster under the bed for arcade performances and we've already accepted that as an unavoidable issue.

So, Robbie's score should be on the list; there is no way to dispute the performance.

The point of the rules, in the particular context of this high score list, is to establish proof. Nothing else. But if the reality is already undisputable, then, obviously, any and all rules not needed in order to establish proof (in this case, an inp) are moot.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:40:48 am by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener