Author Topic: Donkey Kong High Score List General Discussion  (Read 324312 times)

ThomasTHC

Re: Donkey Kong High Score List
« Reply #315 on: June 01, 2013, 04:02:09 am »
I did not witness Svavar's 1m+ game, but seen him play alot and he is a hell of a player. And I've played on the same machine (PB: 385k), and even though it's a multiboard it's just as good as M.A.M.E. as far as I can tell. No NES version here. Svavar has been chasing 1m+ ever since his first killscreen, so I highly doubt that they changed the settings, and acted this thing out :)

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: June 01, 2013, 07:30:55 am »
Man, wish he would have just restarted and shown the 3 man setting. The rules for this board is already pretty relaxed compared to TG. I guess documentation was the last thing on his mind when achieving it, there was obviously a lot of excitement going on. When I got my first million, as happy as I was, the first thing on my mind was to close out the documentation to prove it was the real deal, which was the extensive TG post recording at the time.

The fact that it was a DDK doesn't bother me at all,  but the only thing is being the settings unverified. But, Svavar is a proven player from his other two scores, and there are a few testimonial for those who have been to the arcade.

I have no reason to believe it wasn't all official, just looking at the check box of what is needed to get on the scoreboard, that's all. I guess I'll leave it to Chris. But, all I'll say is, for any other future game like this, just grab that last little easy piece of verification (restart) just so it's not a question.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:27:27 am by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: June 01, 2013, 01:08:46 pm »
I guess I'll leave it to Chris.

I think you mistyped "Corey"  ;D
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Svavar

• Awards
« Reply #318 on: June 01, 2013, 05:54:03 pm »
Man, wish he would have just restarted and shown the 3 man setting. The rules for this board is already pretty relaxed compared to TG. I guess documentation was the last thing on his mind when achieving it, there was obviously a lot of excitement going on. When I got my first million, as happy as I was, the first thing on my mind was to close out the documentation to prove it was the real deal, which was the extensive TG post recording at the time.

I really just didn't think that much about it at the time, I didn't even know if anyone would be recording any of the game at all when I started. It was an awesome personal experience to achieve that goal, that is my main feeling
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:00:35 pm by Svavar »
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: June 01, 2013, 07:39:15 pm »
Yes, that's a great accomplishment. I remember my first two killscreens of 914K then 998K, I didn't start officially recording stuff until after the 998K game once I knew I had the skills for 1 million, but I was super happy with the accomplishment also.

Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: June 01, 2013, 08:59:45 pm »
Hey, Svavar, any chance you could make a quick video the next time you are at Chasis Arcade of the arcade owner testifying to the machine's settings during your attempt? Have him confirm that it was on 3 man settings and that no continues were allowed. I think if we get that testimonial your score will most likely be added to the list.

Your call, if you just wanna wait till you set the world record to be added to the list, we'll understand. ;)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #321 on: June 03, 2013, 06:36:38 am »
This is a casual list so I vote to put it up.  I don't even mind that 2 of my 900k games that were filmed in a similar fashion, aren't on the list, this is just for fun, and I believe him.

Others might not be as easygoing...if the rules for accepting scores for this casual list will be constantly changing...that's kind of a recipe for 'gummy substance meatloaf'...and who would eat that? = )
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #322 on: June 03, 2013, 09:56:55 am »
I think this list has evolved in to way more than casual/just for fun. It would be nice if it would turn into "the place to go" for the most up to date accurate DK scores. Not to compete with TG, but TG still has an issue with timing of getting scores up. And there will be a handful of people who wont submit based on the fees. The rules here are a little more relaxed. I don't think it's about "believing", I believe Svarar's score was done on 3 -men, and have no doubt he'll probably put up another one fairly soon.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #323 on: June 03, 2013, 04:32:01 pm »
Corey, I wanted to point out that Steve Wiltshire's score is officially on TG's scoreboard now. Kind of hard to find though without this link though.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/scoreboard/3852/2/22/

but, his old score at #13 is still on the list.

I was told access to the scoreboard can be done directly though:

scoreboard.twingalaxies.com, but if you search through there it's not on the list, it's the old database. So, to get the most up to date stuff you have to search the long way through the PAGES.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #324 on: June 03, 2013, 05:41:52 pm »
That list is a mess. My goodness...
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #325 on: June 03, 2013, 06:06:15 pm »
It appears this thread from them posted 8 hours ago talk about totally redoing the scoreboard, so that's a good thing, hope it makes searching more streamlined.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/discussions/thread/299/feedback-requested-new-scoreboard-this-month/

corey.chambers

« Reply #326 on: June 03, 2013, 09:30:13 pm »
I will be responding more thoroughly in the near future and updating some information. I never intended for the criteria to be constantly changing, at least in the way some people understand change. There really is no practical way to launch a high score list and have everything ironed out before I put up a single score. It is more by way of development. The present criteria was contained in the first in seed form. It has not become something different as if a human baby has grown into a dog, but rather a human baby developing into a teenager. Sometimes those things which we maintain implicitly must later be expressed more explicitly as a response to a new situation meriting a more refined response.

I saw a real need for a strong list that people could rely on. If people have read all of my pondering on the list through out this thread, you know that I wanted more than a fun list. I wanted a strong evidenced-based list that was the place to go for posting scores. In fact, every time I heard Dave say that this was a relaxed list would only drive me further into making it a strong list. I knew that eventually there would be cases that did not precisely fit the criteria in any one place, but maybe with all the "half-evidences" together they would be more than the sum of its parts. That is why I asked about Svarar's score. I don't want to show favoritism, and I especially don't want to take this list lightly. I never wanted to compete with TwinGalaxies, but I wanted to fill the need for immediate scores, and have it be somewhat comparable. Those are just some of my thoughts at present. 

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: June 03, 2013, 09:58:28 pm »
Wasn't sure how lax or high the standards are on this, but Jonathan McCourt apparently got a KS on 1/1/2011 (Actually, this was my wedding day! ;) ). I remember him posting a picture of this on FB. Just wondering if this info merited bolding his name.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #328 on: June 04, 2013, 06:30:12 am »
I saw a real need for a strong list that people could rely on. If people have read all of my pondering on the list through out this thread, you know that I wanted more than a fun list. I wanted a strong evidenced-based list that was the place to go for posting scores. In fact, every time I heard Dave say that this was a relaxed list would only drive me further into making it a strong list. I knew that eventually there would be cases that did not precisely fit the criteria in any one place, but maybe with all the "half-evidences" together they would be more than the sum of its parts. That is why I asked about Svarar's score. I don't want to show favoritism, and I especially don't want to take this list lightly. I never wanted to compete with TwinGalaxies, but I wanted to fill the need for immediate scores, and have it be somewhat comparable. Those are just some of my thoughts at present.

Keep in mind, whenever I use the term "relaxed" it's in comparison to TG's requirements. Actually even TG backed off on their past requirements, but still get pretty detailed, and of course, full game is needed for TG.

corey.chambers

« Reply #329 on: June 04, 2013, 03:16:53 pm »
Here are my responses to the following topics:

1) I am presently going to allow scores submitted done with a multi-pcb pending that at any time in the future if any evidence is demonstrated that the multi-pcb emulation is slightly different than the US Set 1 roms, then they will be excluded.

2) I have updated Steve Wiltshire's score which was recently verified and posted on the TwinGalaxies Scoreboard.

3)Jon McCourt's picture of a killscreen is not adequate evidence for this score list. The score that is listed for him on the List of Killscreeners was 906K, and was omitted from this list because the highest verified score I can find at this time is his score on the TwinGalaxies website.

4) I am going to allow Svarar's score of 1,008,800. In previous discussions a non-restarted final moments video has not been accepted as sufficient evidence alone. In the case of Steve Wagner's video, and perhaps the two 900K games done by Mike, there is no evidence that it is being observed by others, and no one has stepped forward for having seen the game live. I have added a clarifying remark in the criteria on this point. "Videos that demonstrate that the game was played live at an arcade in front of witnesses may be acceptable if other video requirements are not met, especially if by an established member of the community." This evidence alone may still not be enough. "The cumulative effect of multiple evidences will also play a factor in the acceptance of a score even if those evidences are not adequate alone." I think that this score has been adequately peer-reviewed, has demonstrated enough evidences in order to be handled as an individual case, and a general consensus has been given that the score is probably genuine. "Additionally, and most importantly, all scores on this list must be peer-reviewed in one manner or another. All scores which are being submitted according to the Auxiliary Rules will be handled on case by case bases and must be peer-reviewed, and a general consensus must be given by the DK Community that the score is probably genuine."