Author Topic: Donkey Kong High Score List General Discussion  (Read 324326 times)

corey.chambers

Re: Donkey Kong High Score List
« Reply #255 on: May 19, 2013, 03:29:25 pm »
I just saw a video clip that shows that Joseph Carroll has a higher score than the 708,900 that he did during the WCR #2. This youtube video only shows just after the initials were put in. He says he was not filming that day but managed to get a short video of showing that the score is on the left having just been played, and does a restart to show that it was on three man setting. Since he is already on the scoreboard, has some cool training videos showing his skills, I would propose that I post his score of 771,200 on the scoreboard. The date of the video upload is 7/18/2011. Can I get a second? Normally this video may be insufficient on its own, such as if no body knew who it was but since he is also a member of this forum and has demonstrated comparable skills I think he is a good candidate for the bump up on the list.

Donkey kong arcade high score 771,200

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: May 19, 2013, 03:34:55 pm »
I Second. Doesn't seem to be anything funky going on. He has also proved his skill. There's no real motive for him to lie about a 771k score when he obviously has the skills for over 1.1m.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #257 on: May 19, 2013, 03:56:33 pm »
I agree. He is a great player! I added the score. :) I also did some editing on the original post containing the high score list to help make it more presentable. I wanted to justify the paragraphs so that the text doesn't end at different points giving it a clearer look but it does not appear that this can be done. Or can it? I will try another thing or two.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:59:43 pm by corey.chambers »

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2013, 05:04:30 pm »
I Second. Doesn't seem to be anything funky going on. He has also proved his skill. There's no real motive for him to lie about a 771k score when he obviously has the skills for over 1.1m.

Was this is in reference to Joseph's game? I was just curious about the "Obvious skills for 1.1M" reference, considering that 771K was going to be about 870K maybe. Just curious what made you think he's ready for 1.1M just yet.

The only reason I bring it up is I still think 1.1M is still being trivialized. I think it was George who said to Ross the other day that if you back off on your game a little you can hit 1.1M in a week. No disrespect to Ross because he didn't make that claim, but I'd love to see that if it's that easy from backing off a little, no reason not to do that if you can. Not sure why Ross hasn't cross 1M yet just to throw the monkey off the back.

Even myself being one of the top 10 players in the world know that playing 1.1M for a few levels, or even getting half way, is still not enough. Its still a major accomplishment that should never be trivialized. We're only at 4 players with 1.1M between arcade and MAME combined, and I really hope to be that 5th, but it's been a pretty hard 6 months.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:08:32 pm by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2013, 05:13:54 pm »
Dave, you are right, 1.1M should never be trivialized. I was playing at a 1.07 pace one day and it is a whole new ball game from 1M. I think Mitch was referencing the two videos I posted on the Donkey Kong Training Videos thread where Joseph got a 130K start. That is probably where the 1.1M pace came from. I hope you are the 5th to get 1.1M, Dave. I am sure you will get there before me. :)

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2013, 05:26:23 pm »
OK, I see the vid you are posting about with the start. Yes, he does seem like a promising player.

Sorry Mitch, I thought that was in reference to the 771K game.

Although like I said before, starts, and pace only go a little ways until you maintain one until about lev=15 once, then I think you're on your way to 1.1M/
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #261 on: May 19, 2013, 05:26:36 pm »
Yeah, I had seen Joseph's 130k start (which could've been more like 135k). I guess I wasn't including dedication, patience, and focus as 'skills' per se, but that he has the in-game knowhow to put up a 1.1m pace at least. Wasn't trying to trivialize the nature of actually achieving 1.1m.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #262 on: May 19, 2013, 06:06:30 pm »
I will 'third' Joseph's score.

I'll forgive George on the "1.1 in a week" post though because I don't think he's ever played at 1.1 pace, and doesn't realize that not only is pure skill just one of several factors in getting 1.1, it's probably not even the most important factor.

In fact, I've always felt that there will never be more than maybe 5 more players to ever do it, aside from the 4 (Hank, Vincent, Jeff, and Dean) who are there now. Ross would be one, I can see Dave being another, but that list just isn't gonna grow like the million list will (let alone the kill screener list).

And I wouldn't be surprised if nobody other than the names I just mentioned ever takes it to 1.15 or higher.

When it comes to getting scores that high, it's more a matter of persistence, stamina, patience, psychology, etc. (like Mitch said), and your ability to access your "A" game often enough to increase your chances of your "A" game coinciding with DK giving you the "A" luck that you need. Every plate has to be spinning at the same time. This, I think, is one of the reasons why Hank is such a beast. He seems to be able to tap into his best more than most of us.

I almost never get to see my "A" game. And I won't even know when it's "my time of the month" until I sit down to play and discover that my blood is stone cold DK. Other times (well, most of the time), I'll be trying as hard as I can but won't get jack.

It seems to me that Ross (no offense Ross) is another player who often has to struggle to find his "A" game. When he's on, he's on fire, but the fire isn't always lit.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: May 19, 2013, 08:11:50 pm »
Hey thanks for the 771k score being submitted. I wasn't trying to push for it or anything. I feel I'll crack that score here soon and just recently started playing at only kill screen pace. As for the the 130k start I actually got to 600k with that game at 55k-56k level pace. I can't remember exactly. I think that it was at old record pace I believe hanks old score of 1.068 I can't fully remember. I just got too nervous on that game and blew it. Wish I didn't clear that whole game to show it. The 771k was around when I switched to a more point pressing style. I just played that game to kill screen and that would have been maybe an 855-860k kill screen. Thanks for the props all!
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #264 on: May 19, 2013, 10:51:11 pm »
I was pushing for it. I wanted your personal best to be reflected on the score list, as I do for everyone else. Thanks for being a great player and a wonderful part of this community. I enjoyed your youtube videos, got them posted to the Training Video thread. Great game!

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: May 20, 2013, 09:41:30 am »
Yeah, I had seen Joseph's 130k start (which could've been more like 135k). I guess I wasn't including dedication, patience, and focus as 'skills' per se, but that he has the in-game knowhow to put up a 1.1m pace at least. Wasn't trying to trivialize the nature of actually achieving 1.1m.

Hey Mitch, it looks like you're only 7-10 days away from the next plateau of 500 posts.  I'll go out on a limb, just barely, and predict that the corresponding icon will be the dreaded elevator spring (collapsed or expanded).

Of course, when Jeff sees this, he'll likely swap it out and go with the umbrella, just to make me look silly.   :P

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: May 20, 2013, 10:50:49 am »
Even myself being one of the top 10 players in the world know that playing 1.1M for a few levels, or even getting half way, is still not enough. Its still a major accomplishment that should never be trivialized. We're only at 4 players with 1.1M between arcade and MAME combined, and I really hope to be that 5th, but it's been a pretty hard 6 months.

Agreed.  I would never trivialize a 1.1m game, a million, or even 900k.  Sure, in the past 12 months we've had a heretofore unseen influx of such scores, but I don't believe it makes the achievement any less impressive.  I think it's all due to an increase in the number of talented individuals taking a serious interest in DK, combined with a greater abundance of available resources for improving one's game.

Ugh, did I just use the "heretofore unseen" cliche in a sentence?  I've got to stop doing that.   ::)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #267 on: May 20, 2013, 02:51:16 pm »
In fact, I've always felt that there will never be more than maybe 5 more players to ever do it, aside from the 4 (Hank, Vincent, Jeff, and Dean) who are there now. Ross would be one, I can see Dave being another, but that list just isn't gonna grow like the million list will (let alone the kill screener list).

I'm confident that both Dave and Ross will bring home the 1.1 million.

Dave has the skill, and he certainly possesses the drive and determination.

Ross has personally promised me that his next breakthrough game is going to be huge (actually, he said "huj").  I don't dare bet against him, as that would instantly earn me a "forum idiot" nomination.

I haven't had much opportunity to witness the play of Ben Falls and Mark Kiehl, but a massive game from either one would not surprise me.

As for the rising young stars, I like what I've seen from Philip Tudose, Robbie Lakeman, Ethan Daniels, and Corey Chambers, to name just a few.  There's still work to be done, but I'm optimistic with regard to their future chances.

When it comes to getting scores that high, it's more a matter of persistence, stamina, patience, psychology, etc. (like Mitch said), and your ability to access your "A" game often enough to increase your chances of your "A" game coinciding with DK giving you the "A" luck that you need. Every plate has to be spinning at the same time.

Yeah, skill and luck are intertwined (along with the other factors).  The way I look at it, you have to demonstrate enough skill to take advantage of the "good hands" that Kong occasionally deals.

This, I think, is one of the reasons why Hank is such a beast. He seems to be able to tap into his best more than most of us.

Absolutely.  As I've said before, consistency is Hank's greatest weapon.

I almost never get to see my "A" game.

Tell me about it.  My "A" game has been in hibernation for most of my DK career.  Hey, I enjoy a 90 minute late afternoon nap as much as the next guy, but this is ridiculous.   ;)

It might help if I took a more academic approach to my game and actually worked at it.  Last week, I finally got around to creating a Level 5 save state for each of the 4 screen types.   ::)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

corey.chambers

« Reply #268 on: May 20, 2013, 09:47:24 pm »
Thanks, Scott. I appreciate the vote of confidence! :)

corey.chambers

« Reply #269 on: May 22, 2013, 05:00:38 pm »
Just updated a score for Shane Mosher who improved his personal best from 409K to 428,200. It was done on 5/22/13 on his Arcade machine. He moved up from #85 to #81. Here is the link to his game: http://www.twitch.tv/shane_nc/c/2320679. Great Game! It is always exciting to watch you improve your skills. :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 03:10:17 pm by corey.chambers »