Author Topic: Donkey Kong High Score List General Discussion  (Read 324224 times)

corey.chambers

Re: Donkey Kong High Score List
« Reply #195 on: May 07, 2013, 09:30:03 am »
I added a new functionality to the High Score List to help improve connectivity, at least I think that would be the appropriate term. Take a look at my personal score line item on the list. The word Twitch has been hyperlinked directly to the stream where I got my killscreen. My name has been hyperlinked to my streaming page. I am not sure if a single post will be able to contain all the hidden information but for now it works and thought it was a good idea. As far as I know the maximum allowed is 20,000 characters. Presently the list post is only 12,578 (no spaces, includes hidden hyperlinks) or 15,480 (with spaces, includes hidden hyperlinks). Is this a limit set by the Administrator?

Also, I wanted to give some kind of small graphic or mark that indicates that the named player has achieved a killscreen. Maybe a smile next to the name or something like that. See my line on the score list for example.

What do you guys think about these three added elements?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:07:07 am by corey.chambers »

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: May 07, 2013, 05:38:03 pm »
I dig it. Too bad there isn't a rotating Jumpman smiley/gif to use for the KS. Or even just a hammer.

Also, I don't know how common this is in the high score list, but what about players who have a high score AND a killscreen, but the KS score isn't represented on the list? Isn't that the case with Tim Sczerby, for example? So, maybe some kind of text formatting if the high score represents a KS? Or maybe two different icons, one next to the high score if it's a KS and one next to the player's name if they have a verified KS regardless of whether that score is on the list?

If character length becomes an issue it might help to move the rules to a separate but glaringly obvious sticky'd post and have a glaringly obvious link to it in the high score list.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: May 07, 2013, 06:36:47 pm »
What do you guys think about these three added elements?

I like the idea of linking the source field to either the Twitch TV stream for that particular game, or to a downloadable INP file at Twin Galaxies and/or MARP.

As for the maximum # of characters per post, I believe that's a parameter that can be set by the administrator, although I'm not 100% certain.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #198 on: May 07, 2013, 06:37:40 pm »
Maybe instead of adding a graphic I just bold the scores that were part of a killscreen game, and bold the name to indicate that they have had a killscreen. Too many graphics may make the list look messy.  Can you imagine 30 :) 's all over the list. Having just the name and/or score in bold may be cleaner and still indicate significance about the score or player. I changed the line item to reflect this idea but let the smiley for now to see what others think.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:39:38 pm by corey.chambers »

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: May 07, 2013, 06:55:27 pm »
Looking good Corey. I increased the character limit to 30,000. Let me know if that's not enough.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

corey.chambers

« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2013, 07:10:21 pm »
Thanks Jeff, that's awesome. This list would not be what it is today if it wasn't for you!

Scott, the new TwinGalaxies website doesn't look like it allows anyone to download the inp like the old site did. If you find a way then please let me know. MARP should work.

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2013, 07:14:13 pm »
Maybe instead of adding a graphic I just bold the scores that were part of a killscreen game, and bold the name to indicate that they have had a killscreen. Too many graphics may make the list look messy.  Can you imagine 30 :) 's all over the list. Having just the name and/or score in bold may be cleaner and still indicate significance about the score or player. I changed the line item to reflect this idea but let the smiley for now to see what others think.

As long as the maximum post size isn't an issue, you could always add a "Notes" column at the end and put any additional information there:
  • Killscreen
  • Level 17-5
  • 135k start
  • 550k on last man
  • #$@%ing Rivets!
Just thinking out loud.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2013, 07:18:04 pm »
Scott, the new TwinGalaxies website doesn't look like it allows anyone to download the inp like the old site did. If you find a way then please let me know.

That should change down the road.  The site is currently a beta release.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

corey.chambers

« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2013, 07:25:37 pm »
I like your ideas Scott. Keep them coming everyone. One project at a time for sure but the more the merrier. Once I get some of these changes included in the functionality of the list then lets talk seriously about the idea of a notes section to highlight a thing or two, pending space and cleanliness. IF this list becomes popular we would want it to look very professional, lol.

corey.chambers

« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2013, 07:33:23 pm »
Of course, I would need the help of all the players to chime in and say if they have got a killscreen on the score that is posted on the list. We don't have all the TG games to view, etc. Also, if I just bolded the names of all the players on the list that are on Hank's list... well, then how accurate is this? I will start with adding the links to the names and sources while we discuss the simplicity or difficulty of bolding the scores and names and still be somewhat verifiable in this area as well.

corey.chambers

« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2013, 08:34:17 pm »
While adding links to people's names I noticed that Chris Icenhour was on the stream list but not on our list. I saw that he had a game of 728,400 back in Oct of 2012 so I added him to the list with the link to his game. Great work!

Edit: Here is the link: http://www.twitch.tv/sevenup1203/c/1718567
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:44:19 pm by corey.chambers »

corey.chambers

« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2013, 07:18:17 pm »
I have finished adding hyperlinks to all the players names that stream. Now if anyone is viewing the high score list and wants to see if the player is playing or wants to follow him then they only need to click on the name and it will go to the player's streaming page! I will be working on the killscreen information next.

While adding the information I noticed that tyr1ck didn't have a name but I saw that he had a Donkey Kong game streamed on 3/1/13 achieving a score of 660,400. No one has that score on the score list and wanted to get it added. Does anyone know who this is?

Here is the link to the game: http://www.twitch.tv/tyr1ck/b/372771341

corey.chambers

« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2013, 08:07:26 pm »
To the best of my ability I have added the initial bold editing to indicate a kill screener, and whether the game was a kill screen. I utilized Hank's list. If the player was on the high score list with the same score listed then I bolded the name and the score. If the player was on hank's list but had a higher score on the high score list, I bolded the name, but I can't say for sure on the score. If a player was listed on Hank's list but had a lower score on the high score list, I may or may not have bolded the name for now unless anyone disputes it. Please help to see if their are any errors or if I missed anything. I am sure I missed something or made an error. Please help with corrections! :)

Please help by posting the link of your scores to this thread so that I don't have to hunt them down in order to add it to the score list "twitch" etc, such is the case with my line item. So, if everyone has streamed their score on Twitch then please post it to this thread. I think this also goes for the WCR#2 scores as well. Thank you for your assistance in advance. I do have a few that has been posted to this thread, I will be adding those shortly, but there are several I do not have. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 08:10:28 pm by corey.chambers »

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2013, 08:58:03 pm »
Well, the way that Hank's unofficial list ended up working was, if you had a killscreen you got on the list, afterwards, if a killscreen player increased their PB, the list would be updated to the killscreener's PB. The list documented all kill screeners but at the same time was ranked by their PB.

So, if you want to update your list, remember BIlly Mitchell's 1.06M game was killed off on level 21. no killscreen. My 1.026M ended on level 21-2, not a killscreen (although I have 3 killscreens in previous games 914K, 998K, 1.015M). And I see you have Tim S's right.

So, was not quite sure what your goal was with bolding. I'm a "killscreener" but my PB isn't a killscreen, same for Billy, and Tim S. They all have killscreens before, just not their PB. Same with Eric Howard 957K, not a killscreen but he killscreened before.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:01:01 pm by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2013, 09:33:30 pm »
Thanks for the information Dave! I will update immediately. Someone had asked if their could be some indication whether the score posted was a kill screen game or not. So I added that info to the list. I have also updated the initial conditions for a players name being bolded for having killscreened the game: "Players in Bold have achieved a verified killscreen. Scores in Bold indicate a killscreen game (arriving at L = 22). Since this is an evidenced based list the first criteria that was used to determine the killscreen: 1) If the player's score on Hank's Killscreen list was the same as what is on the High Score List then the player's name and score was made bold. 2) If the player was on Hank's list but does not have a verified score on the High Score List, the the information is omitted for obvious reasons. 3) If the player had a score on the High Score List that was greater than that on Hank's list then the player's name will be bold, but the score is unknown. 4) If the player's score on the High Score List is not as high as it is reported on Hank's list then these are also omitted at this time. This is the first set of criteria that was used in order to keep with the evidence-based concept of the list. There are more killscreens achieved by players on this list for sure, but have not yet been verified according to the List criteria. [Still under-construction]"

Dave, learning more about Hank's list is helpful. This is not a perfect list by any means, but it is consistent and taking more shape every day. I hope it continues to become more and more accurate. One step at a time.