Author Topic: Donkey Kong High Score List General Discussion  (Read 324278 times)

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong High Score List
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2013, 06:30:22 am »
I'm not sure if this is his highest, but you can still watch Tim Szcerby's 1,034,700 game on Dwayne Richard's JTV channel here: http://www.justin.tv/drdreaddr/b/258392828 with some color commentary by Dwayne.  There's a 1.024M game on there too.  Been a long time since I've seen these...might watch again.  I figured others might be interested.  He has a bunch of other great videos as well.

EDIT:  The game is chopped up into parts, so you'll have to look through his videos to watch the rest.

I watched parts 1, 9 and 10.  Some nice point pressing there.  He's obviously a talented player.

Going into Level 21-5, he was still on his 2nd man.  He cashed one in, then was killed twice by fireballs (on the 3rd and 5th girders).  Heartbreaking finish.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2013, 07:30:24 am »
Thanks for pointing that out to me. Corrections made to the list.

By the way, I found a quick and easy way for me to add and change ranking on the high score list so take a look and see how you rank!

Looks good, Corey.  Just one small correction:

Rank

Source

Score

Player

Date

Platform
    MARP   
    Thomas Bauer   
02/07/2013
    MAME
    TG   
    Chris Enright   
11/06/2009
    Arcade

These 2 items should be reversed.

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2013, 07:51:40 am »
Not gonna lie, I'm pretty pissed off that I am only like 48th when I know I can do better.

Pleased to meet you, #48.  I'm just down the street at #45.

Needless to say, I would also like to move out of this neighborhood.   ;)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2013, 08:48:02 am »
Corey,

You are right, PSP is always welcome here, we shouldn't alienate anyone, ever.  It wouldn't bother me if he simply stated he was un-interested in being on the list.  Comparing the K.S. to taking a dump is a direct slap in the face to the entire DK community.  It is also a stab at anyone who has achieved the KS, public or not...  Let me know of one person who took more than 1 months work to "achieve their morning dump".  I guarantee, 100%, he will be the only person in DK history that values his first Kill-screen on level with innate body functions.

Out of the 20+ billion people who have been alive and able to take a morning dump since 1982, less than 60 have ever KS'd Donkey Kong; One goal requires food consumption, involuntary muscle contraction and a rectum, where the other requires complex thought processes, active-motor precision and nerves of steel.  Seems like a fair contraction to me. 

I apologize for calling PSP a sally-a$$ cry baby,  but after reading his quote, I felt that he was directly attacking a community of descent people who are simply attempting to maintain a credible, peer reviewed, open-source list to track our accomplishments.

He knows, as well as everyone else, that his KS-claim lacked sufficient evidence.  The obvious action in this circumstance is either: accept the fact that your "claim" will draw controversy and does not merit sufficient credibility, or rectify the issue by repeating your accomplishment in an accepted manner.

If one chooses the former, he should not attack the "scene" or the difficulty associated with the accomplishment (as if to distance one-self from the situation mentally reduces the level of credibility for their actions, or lack there of).

and That's all I have to say about that. (Forest, Forest Gump)

Sorry If I derailed things in anyway...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:57:38 am by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2013, 09:08:52 am »
at least he didnt take anybodys record! im still pretty shocked by that fake board swap video, cant believe Billy pulled such a brazen stunt...guess its not up to us to police TG verified score tho...

8)

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2013, 09:23:20 am »
Wow. Just watched Tim's 1.034M video.  What a bummer.

You know, I can't imagine how rough that would have been.  What was the high score at the time he played this game, somewhere around 1.05-1.06M?  He got that close...it would have been nice to regain the #1 spot, especially after how the KoK treated him back when the movie was being made.

Wow.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2013, 09:39:14 am »

You know, I can't imagine how rough that would have been.  What was the high score at the time he played this game, somewhere around 1.05-1.06M?  He got that close...it would have been nice to regain the #1 spot, especially after how the KoK treated him back when the movie was being made.

Wow.

WR at the time was 1.05M (Billy).  He was definitely intent on getting the WR.  Bummer that he quit playing shortly after that game.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2013, 09:42:26 am »

Wow.

That was an impressive game. I wish Tim never got caught up in the group that claimed Wiebe had a hacked board to get his score.  But, at the time of this game, Billy was the current record holder at 1,050,200. Tim had a shot at it. If he would have finished that last barrel board (21-5) , I don't think it would have been enough because he would have needed 12K on rivets, but if the death before didn't end early before he got a chance to cash it in, he would have got more points for the cash in, then the record was his. I know the feeling of losing a game that would have crossed a major milestone.

Unfortunately, he wouldn't have had it long since Hank put up his first record of 1.061M about a month later.

EDIT: I see Hank beat me to my reply above stating the record. :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:44:11 am by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2013, 09:48:30 am »
Ethan,

I think he was speaking of the importance of a killscreen to him at this point in his life, a more subjective statement. "...something that is about as important to me as my morning dump today..." Either way, perhaps it is ok for us to let him feel the way he wants about it, without thinking that he is invalidating how we may feel about it. Speaking of time well spent, have you got that Million points yet? ;) I would like to see a new score for you on our "credible, peer reviewed, open-source list."

Comparing the K.S. to taking a dump is a direct slap in the face to the entire DK community.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:57:03 am by corey.chambers »

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2013, 10:45:57 am »
It seems really crazy how some of these big games come to an end.  I can't get over Tim's game.  Watching it back, you can kinda tell that nerves were maybe getting to him...there were a lot of crazy jumps and things done that could have ended the game even earlier...like movements under Kong and climbing the ladder under Kong during unsafe times.

It's just crazy how that fireball will all of a sudden start climbing immediately.  You can go 30-40 barrel screens without that happening, then all of a sudden it climbs right up super fast...multiple times. 

I wonder if Tim knew he was really close to getting the record, and so he purposely let the fireballs climb...so that he could wait for more barrels to come down and thus get more points...or if it was simply nerves.  Because you can't help but wonder if he would have grabbed the hammers immediately if he would have been able to finish the game.  If he got another 3000-3500 points from the guy that died on the 3rd girder, he woulda needed what, 8500 or so from the final rivet screen to get the record?  That's reasonable.

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2013, 10:59:29 am »

Part 9 of Tim Szcerby's game, for anyone that doesn't want to have to look for it:

http://www.justin.tv/drdreaddr/b/258392819

Part 10 is only 57 seconds of attract mode, and not particularly relevant.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: May 06, 2013, 11:09:23 am »
I know I'm probably belaboring the issue with PSP's score, but I want to offer the viewpoint of someone who is very new to this scene and has yet to see a DK board beyond 7-3. I say that only to illustrate that I don't have a reputation to defend or project and that I've spent more time being a DK fan (and general gaming fan) than I have being a DK player.

I think it boils down to this: if someone doesn't respect the game or the community, why should the community show respect to that person? I agree that everyone should be welcome in any gaming community, but there has to be mutual respect between the parties involved. The DK community has, at different times and to different degrees, outlined the conditions required to consider a KS or score to be valid. Those in and out of the community are absolutely free to disagree on these requirements and those disagreements can sometimes create a better climate for all involved. However, there should be no hard feelings or ill-will if there is a difference of opinion, so long as everyone is treated with respect.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: May 06, 2013, 12:10:30 pm »
I know it's hard for a topic to just be laid to rest, even when in the wrong thread. I've been around this community since about 2007 and I've seen people snapped at for asking questions, I've seen people belittled for using logic, but one thing that always perplexed me over the years were a lot times when someone uses the phrase "There's too much negativity in this community" in a condescending manner are usually the same ones that created the negative atmosphere. And you can't help but shake your head or shrug your shoulders on what you've heard/seen, and just get back to gaming.

I think this DK community is strong, and think this list is solid, and glad that we have the competitiveness and drive to keep it going as an escape from our daily lives of work, paying bills, etc...

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:13:04 pm by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2013, 12:15:43 pm »
Thanks Dave! So turn on those machines and computers... get it on like Donkey Kong and put up some  new high scores! :)

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: May 06, 2013, 12:37:19 pm »
I will, when I get home from work (gotta pay the bills)!

Btw, did anyone catch any of Dean's 'crap game' stream today?  I had never heard of some of thoes games before, but that was entertaining.  Especially some of the weirder games like Side Track and Speed Coin. 

I don't mean to laugh at your frustration Dean but watching the Side Track gameplay + commentary was hilarious.