Author Topic: Donkey Kong High Score List General Discussion  (Read 323974 times)

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong High Score List
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2013, 10:16:41 am »
My opinion on submissions is I really don't like "word of mouth" reported scores, especially if it's for a serious list. But, even if someone went as far as to record the ending of their game, they should immediately start another to show that it was on 3-man settings. Knowing Steve Wag personally, I believe his score, but lines have to be drawn. I saw Ben Maz play at KO1 on a wild card, so at the time I know of his capabilities on the game.

As for playing on a DK/DKjr/Mario game, I'm against those. Any machine that has the potential to have continues is a problem.

Case in point (some of you may remember this clip), early 2009, not many kill screens around and this video popped up on TG. I'll let all make your opinion. To me he was obviously playing with continues on because it shows it at the end, but he reported that he didn't use continues. That score was pretty high for it's time. And an experienced player doesn't jump in Kong on level 21 after reaching that point on his 2nd man.

Donkey Kong 905,500 Kill Screen

I know not everyone streams, but if you're playing DK and want to be on a list, just be prepared to have some sort of plausible verification material.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:31:46 am by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2013, 12:35:29 pm »
Case in point (some of you may remember this clip), early 2009, not many kill screens around and this video popped up on TG. I'll let all make your opinion. To me he was obviously playing with continues on because it shows it at the end, but he reported that he didn't use continues. That score was pretty high for it's time. And an experienced player doesn't jump in Kong on level 21 after reaching that point on his 2nd man.

Yeah, on his first L21-6 attempt, he was clearly pushing left while leeching Kong.  That only makes sense if, in the case of a mistimed jump, the player would rather die than accidentally clear the final rivet.  I have to assume he was cashing in his extra lives.

My question is, why wouldn't an experienced player sacrifice his spare men on the L21-5 barrels instead?

I agree that it's a dubious recording.  He most likely used the continue feature (perhaps more than once) to reach the end.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2013, 01:15:45 pm »
Looking back I can only imagine what was said about my first KS video:

http://youtu.be/Kfgs_xFObpI

Hopefully i've proven myself since then...but I wouldn't blame anyone for calling me a fake back then, haha.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2013, 01:22:20 pm »
It's honestly a very sad commentary on things if you have be concerned with grown men taking credit for unachieved scores or improperly achieved scores on decades old arcade games.  Just sayin.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2013, 01:42:14 pm »
It's honestly a very sad commentary on things if you have be concerned with grown men taking credit for unachieved scores or improperly achieved scores on decades old arcade games.  Just sayin.

I know Steve, I can't imagine myself as a grown man doing something that remedial. Unfortunately there has been some of that by grown ups way up in the arcade community, not 100% proven, but majorly suspect. (i.e L=22)

I think this list going on here is the most relaxed list I ever seen, just doesn't hurt to have some decent proof.

Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2013, 03:39:50 pm »

Looking back I can only imagine what was said about my first KS video:

I'm sorry, who are you again?

Oh wait, is this Mister Fumble-Fingers-Dead-Battery guy?

Yeah, I remember you.   ;)

Hopefully i've proven myself since then...but I wouldn't blame anyone for calling me a fake back then, haha.

I have no doubt that your 914,700 quasi-killscreen score is legit, Mike.  You've already achieved at least 2 arcade scores that are in the general ballpark:  829,100 (TG verified) and 860,200 (WCR #1).  Obviously, the 914k recording does not meet TG standards.  But our list is unofficial, a fun and informal way of comparing our DK scores to others in the community.

I, for one, vote in favor of Corey updating the list to reflect your "true" personal best.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2013, 04:24:34 pm »
whats the deal with Billy, not surprised some people think hes a tool but iv never heard that any of his tapes/scores are questionable?

8)

To sum it up quickly without going too far into evidence or conspiracy theorizing: none of Billy's three world record submissions since 2003, including and since the 1,047 tape in the King of Kong, include any audio or any footage of Billy Mitchell himself actually playing Donkey Kong on an arcade cabinet.

All three games are, allegedly, direct video feeds from DK PCBs (which, by the way, would not be accepted from any other player, and which I'm not even sure how is technically possible, especially on a Nintendo cabinet.) These games could very easily be "direct feeds" from what's actually a PC playing back a doctored game in MAME. Take a look: [noembed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbRN549NYuU[/noembed]) Without a human being, a cabinet, and some audio, we have no idea who is playing the game or what is outputting the video.

The latter two records (when he beat Steve after the movie came out, and then Hank in 2010) were allegedly achieved "live" in front of roomfuls of witnesses and TG referees, but upon further investigation, one learns that this isn't actually the case.

I would (and did) shrug and take Billy's scores with a grain of salt, but then the Kong Off 2 happened. That's one of the things that really got me thinking about this.

Here's a guy for whom Donkey Kong is supposedly so effortless that he can dump games on 1.1 pace just to beat the record by a few points, but who has never demonstrated *in person* that he has the skill-set needed to get a score higher than 950K or so.

In other words, Billy on tape is simply not the same Billy who shows up for the Kong Offs. He's good (and props to him for being the first to the kill screen in 1982), but he's clearly not as good as his alleged scores say that he is. Something isn't right.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:08:43 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Fast Eddie

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2013, 05:27:51 pm »
thanks Chris thats interesting, i know the kok direct feed game could obviously be dodgy but didnt know anyone questioned the live scores...the dumping game i think was some non arcade event and witnessed/verified by Tod Rodgers? dont know about the other...but both BS? that would be quite a coup!

8)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:30:35 pm by Fast Eddie »

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2013, 05:49:33 pm »
I was always skeptical about the two records (DK & DK Jr.) on the same day at the same place. I think they were pre-recorded tapes passed off as happening on that day. The TG refs were his friends Todd ROgers and Todd's g/f who was also made a TG ref. It could be just me but just check the body language and things said during this clip of his friend showing up to talk about Billy just getting the record.

0:04 Billy backs up quickly in a manner to not let the DK jr. screen be shown (the high score should be on the machine, just show it)
0:17 Todd, the senior ref present, doesn't know the score for sure and doesn't know that you can't have 50 on DK/DK jr.
0:28 Billy's trying to recall the score, why doesn't he just turn around and let the camera man see the score on the machine
0:30 Todd keeps saying, they'll know when they see the tape
0:35+ much more talk about "the tape"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvdrEgk2l6g

Fast Eddie

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2013, 06:56:28 pm »
haha, the old friend showing up late with the camera number, who'll suspect a thing!  ;D

i forgot there was the jr score as well, would certainly be odd if there were no independent witnesses and no killscreen footage at least of three apparently live records...

i was surprised he didnt feature on any KO stream. so did they leave him off the KO2 scoreboard to spare his blushes?

8)

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2013, 07:36:01 pm »
This is kind of sad, my score will put me 2nd from last lol, but I guess there is no better motivation to improve my score than that =)

I have a 260,000 done on Mame that was broadcast on twitch, and was watched live by a few of our streamers.

And I have a 270,800 that was done on my arcade cabinet, but not broadcast on twitch. So I guess the only one that is absolutely verifiable is the 260k.
HIGH SCORES:
Donkey Kong Arcade: 865,900 22-1 KS
1-1: 11,300
Donkey Kong Junior MAME: 599,300 22-1 KS
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2013, 08:00:59 pm »
Lots of discussion today. When people look at this list I want them to feel like we have maintained a serious, peer-reviewed list that has a decent level of accountability. And I think the fact that we have been discussing the criteria for the list demonstrates that we are taking the list seriously. I would like to look back at this day with confidence that we created a great list that will endure, a list that one will feel honored to be on, and something to work towards, truly being recognized by the DK Community as a serious contender. I would also want people to look at the list and be able to trust that we did our best as a community to consistently apply the criteria to all claims in an unbiased manner avoiding all favoritism.

I understand that this list has become more than just a fun list but that it comprises an honest attempt of compiling real, authentic scores that can be verified to a certain extent. I understand that there are lots of real, authentic scores that will be omitted from this list due to the criteria. What I am saying is that we could create 20 different lists with differing degrees of strict criteria, and that some scores may be on the lists on one end of the spectrum and not on ones furthest to the right. Where is our list? I would like to think that it would be our desire to have a list that is more on the right side of the spectrum. Obviously, I don’t expect anyone to drive over to anyone’s house and start dismantling their Donkey Kong machine. But what I do mean is that for a list to have relevance, and to endure the test of time, all scores that are submitted must endure a decent level of scrutiny. I think that we all agree that we want an evidence-based list, and not one that contains scores simply by word of mouth.

In view of the growing concerns, I have added two new criteria. "Any videos, such as those posted on youtube, which shows only the final moments of a game must demonstrate a restart to prove that the game was started with a 3 lives setting. All scores achieved on an Arcade machine must be an original DK machine, the 3 in 1 machines being excluded." If anyone disagrees with these additions then please feel free to share your ideas.

I think that a reasonable among of certainty must be established. This is the role of the criteria, and the active peer-review process. It keeps us honest, and it helps to guard the list from being watered down by doubt and suspicion. Since we are not asking for complete and thorough verification such as is required for an official score on the TG scoreboard, we nevertheless expect reasonable certainty. Given the criteria which we have established so far, I think that we have a high level of accountability that keeps this a serious list. If anyone thinks that we should have more criteria so that the list may not seem as relaxed please share your thoughts and ideas. Since this list is still being developed I would ask that we continue to give shape to the criteria, and if there are any scores on the list presently that any one has any concern or question, then part of the peer-review process is for us to discuss it.

Since the criteria allows for TG scores to be listed, this is why Billy Mitchell is listed. If people don’t accept his score, then leaving it on their will only go to show how many players have achieved a higher score than “his” whether fictitious or it. I mean, if there is that much suspicion over his scores, and if there is a general consensus then maybe we should not have it on their. Yep, I said it, one of the peer-review aspects is to look suspiciously upon a score, and if it does not stand up to a reasonable amount of scrutiny then maybe we should not accept it on this list, particularly since it is questionable whether or not TG at that time had acted honestly concerning this matter. I am not trying to persuade anyone on the matter. I just want to be thorough and consistent with what we mean by a peer-review process. Do we want a score on this list that has drawn so much suspicion and controversy, but then easily throw off another score without a benefit of the doubt? Just asking some questions.

If we include the criteria concerning the proof of 3 lives setting on videos that only show the final moments of a game such as the ones by Ben Mazowita, and Mike's, then it seems as if these particular scores will not be included. Can someone remind me again why Steve Wagner's score is present? Is it because someone has a video or saw it live? Or are we just believing that it happened? And if so, is that sufficient enough according to our established, though growing, criteria?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:06:04 pm by corey.chambers »

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2013, 08:16:19 pm »
I added Wag's score because I believed that it was generally accepted in the DK community. At the time I didn't realize there was a "criteria".

I wasn't even aware of Ben Mazowita's score so I certainly didn't intentionally exclude him.

I will not edit this list any further. All yours now, Corey.  ;)
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

corey.chambers

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2013, 08:22:10 pm »
Hi, Shane_NC. Sorry I missed your score of 260,000 on Twitch. Do you have a link to the video? If any streamers witnessed this stream please let me know. Great job, Shane. I look forward to your future streams and improvements! :)

This is kind of sad, my score will put me 2nd from last lol, but I guess there is no better motivation to improve my score than that =)

I have a 260,000 done on Mame that was broadcast on twitch, and was watched live by a few of our streamers.

And I have a 270,800 that was done on my arcade cabinet, but not broadcast on twitch. So I guess the only one that is absolutely verifiable is the 260k.

corey.chambers

« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2013, 08:29:44 pm »
There has been a growing criteria as we have discussed various scores which I have added to the "Rules" section just above the score list. I greatly appreciated your help, Jeff! The list looks awesome. I don't mind if you add any scores to the list. I will need the help to maintain it if you are the only other person who can edit my original post containing the score list. I appreciate anyone who will be able to help. I don't mind being the primary person editing the list but it would be a great help if another person or two had access who could verify a score, or get verification, and then add it to the list. Most of the time that I have spent on this thread has been reading and discussing the criteria. Basically, in time that someone mentioned a concern, I simply added it under the Rules section. It is all still developing, but I do believe that it is taking more shape as we are all discussing it. The final criteria may not please everyone but I hope that people enjoy the list! :)

I added Wag's score because I believed that it was generally accepted in the DK community. At the time I didn't realize there was a "criteria".

I wasn't even aware of Ben Mazowita's score so I certainly didn't intentionally exclude him.

I will not edit this list any further. All yours now, Corey.  ;)