Author Topic: Donkey Kong High Score List General Discussion  (Read 321638 times)

corey.chambers

Re: Donkey Kong High Score List
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2013, 01:01:15 am »
I am facebook friends with Nathan Phillips and let him know about the high score list on the DK Forum. His score of 854,700 was done at home alone. He managed to get a killscreen and took a picture with a camera. He posted the photo on his facebook account.  He said that he may stream one day to get something posted on this list. So, our list of people is getting smaller. I am almost inclined to just remove the rest of the so-called unverified scores and if any of them want to be on the high score list then they can just post it to the forum, otherwise I will not be able to track these down one by one. I will keep them under the score list for about a week and what we have not approved will just have to wait for their own submission to the high score list. At least that is my thinking at this point. After that, I have a subsequent post that has those names and scores so they will still be in the thread for future reference.     

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2013, 01:06:50 am »
It looks as if it has been verified that he is good for a score of 905,700 as of 8/14/12. Is that what it looks like to you?

Yeah, Mark posted that update, so I believe it's accurate (score and date).

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline d3scride

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2013, 02:26:43 am »
Daniel Dock was streaming earlier tonight got a 928,100 game ended at 20-2 on pace for over 1m

http://www.twitch.tv/dd0ck
PBs:

DK: 702,100 at 1,040,000 pace
1-1: 11,800
1-2: 22,700
No Hammer: 562,800
Lvl 2: 50,400
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2013, 03:06:31 am »
Sorry I don't know my exact score from before the KO2, Corey (why do I care about and remember other peoples' scores so much better than my own?!). I feel bad that it makes the score kinda messy. Ken, if you still have the video, please let me know what my score was. I know for certain it was in the 730s, and I am pretty sure it was 735,xxx, but after that I am drawing a blank  :-\ I'll try to beat it soon so we have a nailed-down score.  :)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2013, 08:50:37 am »
Great game, Daniel! The score has been added. :)

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2013, 07:00:40 pm »
MARP accepts any average recorded speed over 90%.

That may be a tad lenient, but I would say that a 2-5 percent speed drop is not going to give anyone an advantage.

As for WolfMAME-only INPs, I must agree, not because of emulation speed, but because Wolf disallows pausing, which WOULD be an advantage in DK.
With MARP at least all the INPs are available for download and you can check the recorded speed yourself.  Realistically DK doesn't take much CPU to emulate so no recorded WolfMAME scores are going to be below 99%.  If something showed a recorded speed below that or any parts of play slower than that for more than a second or so, it would be point towards possible INP manipulation.
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2013, 07:33:06 pm »
Not being facetious here, but what exactly is the criteria for being on this list?  Take for example, Steve Wagner and Ben Mazowita's scores.  They are basically both self reported scores.  I 100% believe both scores, but we are including Wag's but not Ben's?  In fact if you remove the fact that I know Wag better than I know Ben, I'd say there is actually more proof of Ben's score(s):

Donkey Kong - 971,000

Donkey Kong - 899,700

We have to be careful not to show favoritism towards people in the community as it excludes people out of the community (that was the whole moral of KoK). 

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2013, 07:58:21 pm »
I willingly accept any and all favoritism.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Simpsons99

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2013, 08:27:48 pm »
I watched Ben's over a Millon point game happen.

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2013, 08:32:27 pm »
Favoritism is fine.  People have the right to choose who they like and do not like.  Excluding certain scores because of favoritism, however, is completely not cool, and it is equally uncool to accept or include scores because of favoritism. 

Seriously, it is a crime Billy Mitchell (who is a lying, cheating, mullet-having fart master) is allowed to participate at the Kong Offs while George Riley has to jump through hoops to have his DK3 score - played live at a Kong Off - verified.

Back on topic: my highest score is actually 993,900, played June 20th, 2009.  This does not really change anything - it is just the first fail in an enduring parade of fails - but an accurate list must have all the facts.

corey.chambers

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2013, 09:13:49 pm »
I understood at the very beginning that to have a list that is at least one step higher than the honor system, if not more, would draw a line in the sand. Any time a line is drawn it is very possible that real, authentic scores, not meeting the criteria, would not be on the list. As unfortunate as that is, we have listed some high scores that has a level of accountability attached to it. Obviously, the list is not official in the sense that it is to be exhaustive, and 100% accurate. We do want there to be some factual proof beyond a possible photo-cropped picture, or word of mouth. I don't think that anyone wants to draw people's scores into question, but in order to apply the criteria consistently, unfortunately, there does need to be some discussion that will take place. Such discussion or final omissions from the list in no way illegitimatizes the validity of someone's high score, any more than Ethan's scores being non-submitable to TG makes his accomplishments any less valid. It is hoped that everyone understands all the implications of this reality.

I have been compiling criteria and it has grown into the following so far: "All scores must be either verified by TwinGalaxies, have been eye witnessed by a member of the DK Community, or played on Twitch (even if replay of inp) or any equivalent. MARP submissions or any other INP’s used must be WolfMAME-only INPs due to advantages allowed by other emulators. Screenshots and photographs are not adequate evidence of a genuine score. All scores on this list must be peer-reviewed in one manner or another. I apologize if this rule excludes anyone's personal best but I wanted this list to function at least one step higher than an honor system." We could add that partial video evidence grouped together with peer support is sufficient.

We have not discussed whether or not the final moments of a game video taped and placed on youtube is sufficient, but I don't see why not if the reputation of the player is well known, and one can vouch for their character.

Obviously, no attempt has been made at favoritism. No attempt has been made, that I am aware of, to apply some kind of double standard. It is my understanding that Steve Wagner's score was supported by a peer within our community. Until Hank's post we have not heard anything concerning Ben Mazowita. So, if Hank supports Ben Mazowita's score, and has offered video proof, then I think that his score should be listed on our high score list. If there are no objections, or suspicions then it shall be added.

We have discussed David Hansen's score. One person gave him two thumbs up, and we had one that drew some caution concerning his score. Does anyone object to David Hansen being on the list based on our criteria. It is my understanding that it didn't and that is why it was not on the list.

EDIT: As of now the list mentions the source of the scores. This offers degrees of certainty concerning scores. The scores that are sourced from TwinGalaxies obviously ensures that the highest standards and verification has occurred. Some have done some higher scores live on Twitch, no verification done on the machines, but have slightly lower scores on the TG scoreboard. We know that it is likely that if they are using the same machines that they have been verified at  one time.  And then there are those that have done live on Twitch that don't have any scores on TG. Some have seen the score live at an event. For some we may only have partial video of their games, and we could list these as sourced by YouTube. So on and so forth. Even on the list that we have there are degrees of certainty, as far as evidence is concerned.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:25:46 pm by corey.chambers »

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2013, 12:06:35 am »
Seriously, it is a crime Billy Mitchell (who is a lying, cheating, mullet-having fart master) is allowed to participate at the Kong Offs while George Riley has to jump through hoops to have his DK3 score - played live at a Kong Off - verified.

Billy Mitchell and all of his questionable scores from "the tape" onward are an extremely complicated and thorny issue, to me.

I am generally okay with whatever opinion anyone has about him and what he has, or hasn't, or may have, done, but I short-circuit when I personally try to be of one consistent mind about it because there is a major quandary involved which makes an easy answer impossible.

Bottom line: if it weren't for Billy, and indeed, Billy being a fart master, there wouldn't be a Kong Off.

Or for that matter, a forum, a streaming community, us all being buds, or the movie that sparked all of the above.

That's very hard to ignore.

And if Billy has indeed been running some kind of twisted, phony psy-op all these years, I must say, I would be hard pressed to find even one ill effect.

I could, however, run off quite a list of the good that indirectly came out of it.

Do the ends justify the means? I don't know. But it's the reason why I will always be stuck on the fence about Billy.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2013, 01:25:18 am »

Billy Mitchell and all of his questionable scores from "the tape" onward are an extremely complicated and thorny issue, to me.

I am generally okay with whatever opinion anyone has about him and what he has, or hasn't, or may have, done, but I short-circuit when I personally try to be of one consistent mind about it because there is a major quandary involved which makes an easy answer impossible.

Bottom line: if it weren't for Billy, and indeed, Billy being a fart master, there wouldn't be a Kong Off.

Or for that matter, a forum, a streaming community, us all being buds, or the movie that sparked all of the above.

That's very hard to ignore.

And if Billy has indeed been running some kind of twisted, phony psy-op all these years, I must say, I would be hard pressed to find even one ill effect.

I could, however, run off quite a list of the good that indirectly came out of it.

Do the ends justify the means? I don't know. But it's the reason why I will always be stuck on the fence about Billy.

Excellent post Chris, and point well-taken.  Still, I personally see a difference between the good delivered by Billy's phoniness and the good delivered through opposition to Billy. 

You're right: "The King of Kong" would have never been made without Billy's character, and subsequently, there would have been no resurgence of interest in Donkey Kong.  Yet it's important to remember that Steve was the hero of "The King of Kong", not Billy.  "The King of Kong" generated and renewed interest in Donkey Kong not only by appealing to gamers who wanted a challenge, but also by appealing to good guys who wanted to fight evil.  After watching the movie, almost certainly more gamers said to themselves, "I want to beat the record on Donkey Kong to prove Billy Mitchell is a tool and Donkey Kong is not 'the hardest game ever,'" than said, "I want to play Donkey Kong because I want to be exactly like Billy."  So Billy's contribution to modern Donkey Kong came only through the necessity for his evil, which has long passed, and thus I'm not so sure this guy should get a medal for being a ginormous enema bucket.  The present community deserves a lot of credit, as we've probably done more than Billy to advance level of play and increase knowledge of the game.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2013, 04:54:11 am »
That's fine with me if we don't wanna accept Dave's KS score (even if I think it actually happened). Presently, though, he has the Rusty Quarters Arcade highscore of 736,700 (he uses the initials 'GED' after his favorite storybook character -he is a writer) which I witnessed on the day it happened. We can at least add this one to the list for him :) . Here is the link to RQ's highscore board too: http://rqarcade.com/Game_List.html

Edit: This was done on a normal, nintendo DK cab.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2013, 05:15:13 am »
whats the deal with Billy, not surprised some people think hes a tool but iv never heard that any of his tapes/scores are questionable?

8)