Author Topic: Mike Kasper just got the World Record!  (Read 34060 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Mike Kasper just got the World Record!
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2013, 08:20:20 pm »

PS: I find it funny that that douche PSP said "After reconnecting with an old friend" instead of my name and "at a sanctioned Twin Galaxies arcade" instead of naming it. Grow up already Patrick...

It's no secret that you, and PSP don't get along, but seriously, can't you just get over it and celebrate a great gaming achievement? You don't see Mark or Steve or Billy in here whining about some omission.
Great job Mike.  I'm proud of you!
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2013, 08:28:01 pm »
Nevermind, you can have that one...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:30:31 pm by Scoundrl »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2013, 09:32:42 pm »
PS: I find it funny that that douche PSP said "After reconnecting with an old friend" instead of my name and "at a sanctioned Twin Galaxies arcade" instead of naming it. Grow up already Patrick...

I'll play devil's advocate for ol' PSP: it's possible that this wasn't malicious, and that there's a chance he didn't consider naming you or the arcade to be all that relevant to the story.

But yeah, I have to admit that the article's Kenlessness seemed a little "forced." The Kencade isn't just any arcade...

Of course, I suppose it might also have been a coincidence that THIS went up the day after THIS, with no attribution/link/cross-reference/shout-out/acknowledgment of any kind... on that day, or on any other occasion where it might have sorta been relevant to mention a particular blog which has, incidentally, never hesitated to give him whatever links/credit that were due... but whatever. I'll survive, somehow.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:36:20 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline kalel

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2013, 11:46:23 pm »
i thought this would clear up the PSP debate. this was my complete answers to his questions.

From: Patrick Scott Patterson <PSP@patrickscottpatterson.com>
To: Michael Kasper <michaelkasper31@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: donkey kong jr.

I do these pieces feature-style... so feel free to elaborate all you wish.

1.  How and when did you first start playing video games?  When did you first discover Donkey Kong Junior?  I was about 10 yrs old. The first arcade in hillsboro oregon opened called cosmos. my mom a bout a yr later dated the owner for about a yr. and thats when i got really good ( free play can do that LOL )   got out of CAG's by 14 and didnt really play them again until about 8 mths ago. when me and ken house reconnected.  I didnt play JR all that much when i was younger. i cant remember for sure but i think my best back then was somwhere over 300K. just running through the boards. ( didnt know anything about pt pressing until 8 mths ago )

2.  When did you realize you could take a shot at the world record?  What obstacles did you encounter on the journey? Ken invited me to be on the team for the Battle of the arcades 2. and JR was one of the games. and it was a 1 hr limit. so i was just running boards and figuring out the best way to maximize in one hr. and when i ended up being high on JR in the BOTA. i thought hmm. i must be better than i thought LOL. so played a little. got a little better. and thought i think i can break this. I started analyzing every board and the maximum pts. and realized that ( and mark kiehl knows this also. ) that the WR really wasnt that high. ( well not high considering how many pts i think are really available. once i realized it was a beatable score. is when i realized i could do it. the obstacles i faced. were learning all the pt pressing techniques. and still maximizing my time efficiantly. IE when to wait for a multiple fruit drop and when to just take the single and move on. and then watching videos of several players. like mark kiehl. and dean saglio and george riley. and stealing most of there moves HEHE.

3.  Describe your record setting game.  How did you feel as you approached, and passed, the record?
  Man i am going to sound so egotistical here LOL. but i only knew it was a matter of time. almost all my deaths. for over a mth while playing were just stupid mental lapses. and every game i played past 600k but 1 for the last 3-4 weeks before that game i was well ahead of WR pace. ( without saccing guys at the last hideout ).  and even during my WR game all 3 of my deaths before the kill screen were just stupid deaths. 1 was a 0 board death. and one was a 8 K board death. imagine if i could have sacced those off at the hideout. and my last death was on the last hideout and i died about 12 k into that board. so way more missed pts.  after i passed it . i was both relieved  cause i had done it. and angry . cause i knew/know i could put up much higher.   I have no doubt mark kiehl ( and possibly someone else. there are too many great gamers out there ). will beat my score.  i would like to be the first to 1.4 mill. but i am taking a break for now . no more nightmares about jr for me LOL

4.  What advice would you give to someone who was considering chasing a classic arcade record?
GET a  MAME and create many save states. and play the boards over and over and over. and watch video's of others to learn all their tricks then add in your own .

5.  Add in anything else you wish here.  I would like to thank everyone that was so supportive in the gaming community. watching the streams and cheering me on . it helped a ton. and thank mark kiehl for being such a class act. and talking to me about strategy while trying to steal his record. ( i will be cheering him on as well ). and a very special thanks to KEN HOUSE> for giving me his MAME> and beleving in me. and giving us serioius gamers. a place to come and attempt these records.
  stay tuned there is more to come :)

Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2013, 12:40:20 am »
Cool!

It's clear that PSP went in the direction of making things brief and reader-friendly (which I certainly can't fault). But it was interesting to read your answers.

Man i am going to sound so egotistical here LOL. but i only knew it was a matter of time. almost all my deaths. for over a mth while playing were just stupid mental lapses.

Story of my damn life on this game (DK too, but to a much lesser extent).

You have to get it "on the nose" in Junior way too much. Pixel perfect this, half-second perfect that...

Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2013, 04:27:08 am »
No mention of the striking young man whose BOTA title you usurped?   ;D

Just kidding....awesome awesome job Mike
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2013, 08:54:46 am »
It would be a very strange thing if both Calvin and the arcade owner were lying or misremembering that he rolled 1 million, so I've decided that I believe that part of it, because disbelieving it would necessitate that there's willful deceit going on and there's no need to get conspiratorial.

I don't think either of them were being deceptive, but I DO sense that Calvin might have been pretending to remember more than he actually did in response to Dean's questions, so as to back up his story. It would be frustrating to know that you did something and not be able to remember the answers to questions about the mechanics of it.

Calvin said his score showed up in the 2nd place position because after the rollover there was a score higher than his that remained in 1st on the scoreboard. It is very likely when someone reported the score for the article they looked at the 1st place position and added a 1 million to it, instead of the second place score. That would explain a misprinting of the score.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2013, 10:03:56 am »
PS: I find it funny that that douche PSP said "After reconnecting with an old friend" instead of my name and "at a sanctioned Twin Galaxies arcade" instead of naming it[/i]...

This posting mentions KenCade, at least...

http://www.retrogamenetwork.com/2013/04/30/record-high-score-for-classic-arcade-title-donkey-kong-junior-achieved-by-oregon-man/
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2013, 03:31:34 pm »
Any thoughts on why the score isn't up yet?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:20:33 pm by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2013, 05:41:47 pm »
Any thoughts on why the score isn't up yet?

I don't know.  From personal experience something like this can take awhile. ;)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2013, 03:36:50 pm »
The game is now gone from the Kencade past broadcasts.  Twitch auto-deleted it. SHIT.

Y'all need to click "Save Forever" on stuff like this!